2nd Gen & failure to fire?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Tslepebull, May 4, 2008.

1. Tslepebull

Tslepebull New Member

Jan 12, 2008
    East Freakin' Texas
    Here is hoping one of the P3AT gurus can save me a trip to the mothership. I have a Second Generation P-3AT SN HJNxx. Up until this past week it has been quite reliable. Following instructions in this forum I F&B'd and greased the pistol before use. The first several range visits (150 rounds with WWB, fmj) were flawless. My third range trip I tried some Golden Saber -- to test for function, and had one failure to feed in about 50 rounds. The gun was getting dirty and dry and I ran some more WWB through it without problems. This trip I stopped and bought a box of Remington/UMC 88gr jhp. Although the gun fed and extracted them just fine (when they fired) I began having many failure to fire (light primer strikes). The failure would occur at random intervals but several times per magazine. If I examinrd the unfired round there would be a light indention or no indention on the primer.

The trigger appears to be resetting - short stroking was the first thing I suspected. The trigger is not slack. The only thing I noticed is that it seems like the trigger must move further to the back of the triggerguard than I remembered before the hammer falls -- this may be my imagination because I shoot many other pistols.

Any advise you may offer would be appreciated. I am not afraid to take it apart and look for problems.

2. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    Check your trigger pin for slippage.
    http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/triggerpin.htm

It's also possible you over-stretched your hammer spring when doing the F&B if you took it out.

Still it is quite odd that you say you get no primer dent at all on some of them.

That being the case, I would inspect the firing pin & spring for free movement.
    Something in the firing pin channel would have to physically stop the firing pin from hitting the primer if the hammer is actually falling from full release and hitting it.

rcmodel

3. cm

cm New Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Trenton, MI.
    [quote author=Tslepebull link=1209910108/0#0 date=1209910108]Here is hoping one of the P3AT gurus can save me a trip to the mothership.  I have a Second Generation P-3AT SN HJNxx.  Up until this past week it has been quite reliable.  /quote]

You got one of the first secund generation P3AT.
    They started at HHxxx. I got HUExx.
    Charlie.

4. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Sounds like you may have broken a trigger axis. Similar symptoms to one that I had. The piece will hold together as it cracks and still work getting progressively worse (maybe even over only a few shots) requiring more and more trigger pull until it finally won't c ock the weapon at all. Here is what mine looked like:

[​IMG]

-Scott

5. Tslepebull

Tslepebull New Member

Jan 12, 2008
    East Freakin' Texas
    Jcmodel, CTM, adamsesq -- all are good suggestions. i have cleaned out the firing pin channell and will se how things go at the next range sesssion

6. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
  7. Tslepebull

Tslepebull New Member

Jan 12, 2008
    East Freakin' Texas
    Thanks TXCajun. I will check the trigger pin again -- just to be shure. I think th eproblem may have been related to FP peening of the extractor screw. During one of my range visits I lost track of my shot count and dropped the hammer on an empty chamber several times. When I cleaned out the FP channel the other day I removed threads on the immediate tip of the screw (as I had seen recommended on this forum) and reinstalled it. I think the buggered screw was dragging on the FP. Because i only had one round left with a light FP mark it is likely that I fired the rest as I was experimenting at the range. My next range visit will determine any further action.