Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, looks like my original PF-9 is due for a trip back to the mothership. After some 2500 rounds, I have noted the start of a hairline crack in the slide, where the slide stop fits the slide cutout. At first, I thought it might just a small scratch, but under the magnifier and careful examination, it is definitely starting to crack. Outside is clearly visible, looking at the bottom of the notch it continues, although it does not appear to go on into the inside surface of the slide. I'm a little surprised at this, at the gun has never had anything but standard pressure loads through it, but these things happen. I'm the original owner, so I am sure KT will take care of the problem. Hopefully I will only have to ship slide and barrel back for replacement.

In the meantime, my second PF-9 will do duty as my EDC, and if my TI .22 conversion unit arrives one of these days, the original pistols frame and grip will turn into a nice practice .22.

Jim R

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
sorry to hear , but it sounds like you have it coverd

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
well, ain't that something,, hope your TI kit comes in, then you have 2 pistols. You do love your kt380? Them KT's are rolling off the shelf around here. You have everyone's attention.

·
Registered
7,699 Posts
Is the gun about four years old? Mine did the same thing. When I called KelTec they said they haven't heard of this problem for quite a while. I said the gun was four years old. Then they said, "Yeah, that's about the timeframe when we occassionally had this problem."

So mine is going back too. They told me if I'd send the entire gun, including all my mags, they'd go over it with a fine toothed comb to see if there were any updates that needed to be applied. They said I might end up getting a new frame too because they had made updates in the four years since I had bought mine. So I am having my FFL ship the entire gun for me (much cheaper than me shipping it myself). If I was going to ship it myself, I'd probably just send the slide to save paying the ridiculous firearm fees (overnight shipping requirement) that UPS and FedEx want to charge. KelTec told me that would be an OK option if I wanted, to ship just the slide and barrel (why did they want the barrel?) but they'd recommend sending the whole firearm in so everything could be inspected/repaired/replaced - even things I might not know about.

I spoke with a very nice lady named Arieann at KelTec on 4/13/2012. Below is the email she sent me after our phone conversation:

Please return your firearm to the physical address below for repair. Include with it:

(1) A letter stating your name, address, phone number, email address and the issue. Also, what ammo you were using, any accessories (i.e. mags, belt clips, etc.) that your sending in with it.

(2) A copy of your purchase receipt or 4473 form showing that you’re the original owner. Without this, there will be a charge for any services performed and parts. Someone will call you with that total if applicable.

(3) If you have an active law enforcement ID, please include a copy of that as well.

There’s no RA number needed. Please pack it in an unmarked box. If you have a dealer return the firearm for you, we’ll need a copy of their FFL with the letter and purchase receipt. They can ship it cheaper by mail, since they have a license. Otherwise, you’ll need to send it yourself through UPS or FedEx or the sort. Individuals cannot ship pistols by mail, but rifles are OK.

Please also keep a note of your serial number. If you want to check up on the repair, that’s the easiest way for us to looks it up. Turnaround time is about 6 weeks normally, unless otherwise specified.

Thank you,
Arieann

1-800-515-9983 or www.keltecweapons.com

Mail:
PO Box 236009
Cocoa FL 32923

Physical:
1475 Cox Rd
Cocoa FL 32926
...and in a followup email reply to a question I asked a few minutes later:

As far as including your magazines, I’m very glad you asked! Please do send them so that the Technicians may inspect them and repair or update as necessary.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
My #2 PF9, R4XXX bought new in 07 had about that many rds when she got the little crack. I sent the whole gun in since it was lacking a number of upgrades. I think the only original parts I got back were the aluminum frame and barrel.

·
Registered
71 Posts
FedEx doesn't charge extra for shipping firearms, just the standard weight rate with Priority service. Just so nobody gets the wrong impression.

·
Banned
32 Posts
2500 rounds and the slide is cracking? I sure hope any problems they had with this have been corrected on the new models, because a report like this has me second guessing my purchase. That is barely a break in of a gun as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
Meh ... I won't second-guess my own recent PF9 purchase until I see how it performs at the range. As long as my hand(s) can tolerate the recoil, and as long as the range isn't so packed that I can't get a lane, then I'm planning to put 50+ rounds of both FMJ and JHP through it this weekend - maybe 100 rounds tops, but I doubt I'll be able to endure that much in one session. (All the more reason I'm glad I bought that little NAA Earl with the .22 LR conversion cylinder - cheap, pain-free trigger time!)

Always sucks to find a problem with your carry gun(s), especially when it requires a send-back rather than just having parts sent to you, but I trust they'll take care of ya'.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yeah I can easily put 2500 rounds through a gun in a year even smaller CCW guns. I like to train allot with my CCW firearms and the recoil from these PF9's does not bother me the slightest. I have construction worker hands I don't even feel it much after 100 rounds. Even 125 grain .357 magnum in a Taurus M605 j frame size is a non-issue. The only gun I really don't like is the S&W airweight, that is not a fun gun to shoot. Only my opinion of course..............

1 - 9 of 9 Posts