Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I had some initial problems with my P-3AT that were fixed by Kel-Tec. Their customer service is awesome.

The pistol worked fine for the next 250 rounds or so, and then the smaller (inner) recoil spring decided it wanted to see the outside world. It walked out of the front of the pistol! So, after unloading and taking out the disassembly pin, I tried to get the slide off.

Well, I guess the spring somehow locked it in place. I tried the old, pull it back and let it go trick, and it worked, but the slide fell on to the concrete floor. The rear of the slide rail is now bent so that I can't reassemble the pistol.

Will it damage the pistol further if I attempt to bend the rail back, or should I just take it back to K-T again?

Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Re: $250 paper weight?

I be up front with them about everything, and see what happens. Might cost you the price of a slide. Things just happen like that. Then again if it's your lucky day they may fix it all up and not charge you. Good Luck. :)

·
Registered
9,377 Posts

Any chance you could post a picture of the damage?

I can't imagine "bending" the slide that bad by dropping it, or shooting it off onto the floor.

A ding, or dent on the pointed lower-back end of the slide rail is about the best I can conjure up in my mind.

If that's all it is, file it off and put it back together.

As for the inside recoil spring coming out through the rod guide hole, now that there is kind of hard to conjure too.

If the hole in the (FG gun) recoil spring catch is wallowed out that big, you need to ask KT for a free guide rod & catch & springs.

If it is a SG gun, a new slide & guide rod & springs might be in order.

rcmodel

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

When it fell, it must have hit the pointed end on the right side of the back of the slide. That's where it's bent.

It's a SG gun, and K-T gave me a new slide and barrel the last time I took it in! I guess if it's not good to bend the metal back, I'll just take it back to K-T.

·
Registered
9,377 Posts

If it's actually bent, not just dinged, I wouldn't suggest bending it back. (although if it doesn't break off, it would probably be O.K.)

rcmodel

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Ok then, back to K-T it goes.

One more thing though: what do you guys do that makes your pistols 100%? I clean and lube per the GoldenLoki guidelines. I don't do anything different than with my other pistols. Are these guns just not to be fired more than 50 rounds between cleanings? Did I just get a lemon?

I'd really like to rely on this pistol as my primary carry, but right now it's not looking good!

Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts

due to the small design of the firearm and the small tolerances that are there, they are not really meant to be fired more than 50 rounds at a time.

some would disagree, but if I shoot more, I keep a can of powder blast handy to spray it out.

The only thing I care about is the first 7 rounds out of each magazine. so long as they go boom every time, I consider myself good to go.

G

·

g8, IMO i would bet kt will replace your damaged slide if you explain to them what happened. They are just that kind of company. Won't argue with RJ on his theory of 50 rounds, it's his opinion, I just disagree with it. Will agree the first 7 are the most important, after that, for me anyway it is run like hell.

·
Registered
858 Posts

rjhauser said:
due to the small design of the firearm and the small tolerances that are there, they are not really meant to be fired more than 50 rounds at a time.

some would disagree, but if I shoot more, I keep a can of powder blast handy to spray it out.

The only thing I care about is the first 7 rounds out of each magazine.  so long as they go boom every time, I consider myself good to go.
+1 on that

·
Registered
3,755 Posts

g8rforester said:
Will it damage the pistol further if I attempt to bend the rail back, or should I just take it back to K-T again?
Describe what happened in a detailed letter and send it to Kel-Tec for evaluation/repair. It only cost me $8 shipping and I live in Texas. A small investment to have the factory evaluate or repair your P-3AT. Should they determine the damage wasn’t covered under warranty, at least they could advise you if it would be safe to shoot if straightened.

Wilson – who’s wanting to keep both hands and all of his fingers :eek:

·
Registered
1,698 Posts

rjhauser said:
not meant to be shot more than 50 rounds between cleanings. :-/
Agree 100%! It seems to me that as many as we've seen exhibit problems after around 40-50 rounds and then operate OK for another 40-50, after cleaning, it would be pretty obvious that this is an issue. Both my 1G and 2G do that and I don't press it, I just clean them and move on.

It is NOT a Gluck and it's not a combat pistol, so I don't see the point in trying to prove that it will operate dirty or go for 200+ rounds without cleaning. What does this prove?

Sure there are those who've done it or (or say they have), just as there are people who have fallen out of airplanes without a parachute and lived. ::)

·
Registered
2,331 Posts

Too many folks have panic attacks when they have a problem after 75+ rounds. Mine might jam after 100+ rounds but I'll never know as I've never shot that much in one outing. I need it to be reliable for 6+1 rounds, that's it. If it chokes at round number 93 from powder residue build-up, so be it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Guys, thanks for all the replies. I know these questions have probably been answered a thousand times, but you all took the time to answer them 1001. That says a lot about this community!

I guess I just need to modify my attitude about what this pistol is and should be.

I'm accustomed to my Makarov that can go 100% for 500 rounds (or more, but that's where I stopped) without a cleaning (I lubed it every 100 rounds).

Well, back to K-T it goes, and I'll update when it's fixed.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts

bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang

tactical reload

bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang

so long as I get that every time I need it, i could care less what #14 does.

I fire it every time I go to the range.

never failed yet. if round #95 fails due to being dirty, so be it. all I truly care about is the first 13.

but that is just me.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts

previous post edited to add:

the first time however that one of those 13 fail, and it is not something DAM* simple, off to the mothership it goes.

I need to have total confidence in it.

and right now I do.

G

·

+1 rj and Hutch

g8rforester- I hope you are not relying on this to get Gators ;D ;D

Seriously- good advice above as to how to use the P3. Try this when you get to the range, does it work as rj said when you pull it out - pocket fuzz and all...... 13 rounds.
I don't care if you use Olive oil to lube it or whatever......... I use some other pistol to shoot a lot at the range ;D

G

·

actually just 7 perfect rounds is all I need, after that I am outta here-bigtime ::)

jocko who practices RUNNING alot ;D ;D French style though-BACKWARDS.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.