Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FYI:

These guys have .22LR ammo in stock as of 3/17/2016.

This is Aguila 40gr copper plated high velocity. I have a bunch of this already, and it performs perfectly in all my guns. I would rate it equivalent to CCI MiniMags in both function and accuracy - in other words, "very good". And this price works out to the same as typical CCI MiniMag price (before the Obama price inflation). CCI, in the good old days, was $7.99/100 which equates to $40/500. The Aguila is boxed in plastic holders that hold individual cartridges, similar to CCI, but not quite as nice. But still better than the bulk stuff that is just a bunch of loose rounds in a cardboard box. At least the 50-round boxes and the 500-round boxes are packaged this way. I don't know about the 5000-round boxes.

http://www.ammofast.com/collections...r-copper-coated-rn-hv-eley-prime-500-rd-brick

Good price, and cheap shipping.

$39.95 per 500-round brick. You can buy up to 6 bricks (3000 rounds) and keep your shipping charge to $9.99 total. If you buy more than that, the shipping goes up to $19.99. Shipping is based on weight - six bricks seems to be the most you can get before the weight triggers the higher $19.99 shipping charge.

They sell it by the 50-round box, by the 500-round box and by the 5000-round box. They have other .22LR ammo in stock (I think all/most of it is Aguila brand at this time), but I picked the ones I have personal experience with.

I just ordered six 500-round bricks. Total delivered cost is $249.93

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
FYI:

These guys have .22LR ammo in stock as of 3/17/2016.

This is Aguila 40gr copper plated high velocity. I have a bunch of this already, and it performs perfectly in all my guns. I would rate it equivalent to CCI MiniMags in both function and accuracy -
Agree on quality. They also make a lead nose high velocity. I believe both versions use the same powder load and are called "Super Extra". Aguila also make the hottest 22 LR load available. It is called the Interceptor. It is about the same speed as the CCI Stinger, but does it with a 40 gr bullet versus the 32 grain Stinger. It has about 25% more Ft Lbs of energy.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Keep your eyes open on Natchezz, too.

Prices are not quite as good, but close. Whatever's advertised on their e-mail blasts tends to be sold-out in a few days, though, and they do run per-day per-customer limits on such items. This past weekend, I purchased 500 rounds of CCI Mini-Mags for just over $42...I just checked, and they're sold-out.

To me, it's worth signing up for some e-mail mailing-lists and alerts as sometimes AmmoSeek and the other search engines flag these deals, sometimes they don't. :(

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I saw the Natchezz email on that CCI too, but I didn't order any. Thought about it though. Natchezz has good prices, but ridiculous shipping charges. I can't remember what their CCI cost was, but it was close to $40 per 500. A good price. But the shipping was $17 or $18. Horrible. I can't remember, but either you were severely limited in how much you could buy, or the shipping charges went way up above their already ridiculous levels the more you bought. Whatever it was - the final delivered price was too high for my tastes, given the equivalent Aguila I found at about the same time for much cheaper.

I'm also signed up at Midway for alerts on just about every .22LR ammo they carry. It's rarely in stock. I have gotten alerts and jumped on those in the past, but recently I've gotten two generic emails - not sent to me personally as an alert, but evidently sent to all Midway customers - that they had such-and-such .22LR ammo in stock. I looked, and such-and-such was in my alert list, but they never sent me an alert prior to the generic email sent to everyone. So maybe they're trying to make sure everybody gets a chance at the ammo, but they're subverting their entire alert thing in the process. Why sign up for them to alert you if they don't? Those generic all-customer emails were for Remington Golden Bullets, which I will no longer buy, but they were still in my alert list at the time. Removed now.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I saw the Natchezz email on that CCI too, but I didn't order any. Thought about it though. Natchezz has good prices, but ridiculous shipping charges. I can't remember what their CCI cost was, but it was close to $40 per 500. A good price. But the shipping was $17 or $18. Horrible. I can't remember, but either you were severely limited in how much you could buy, or the shipping charges went way up above their already ridiculous levels the more you bought. Whatever it was - the final delivered price was too high for my tastes, given the equivalent Aguila I found at about the same time for much cheaper.
Yup, like my post above read for the CCI, it was just over $42 for 500, and for the CCI's 100-round sliders, the quantity was restricted to 5 units (500 rounds). ;):p

Shipping for me was OK as I had a bunch of other stuff, too, but you're definitely correct - it tends to be on the high side.

I'm also signed up at Midway for alerts on just about every .22LR ammo they carry. It's rarely in stock. I have gotten alerts and jumped on those in the past, but recently I've gotten two generic emails - not sent to me personally as an alert, but evidently sent to all Midway customers - that they had such-and-such .22LR ammo in stock. I looked, and such-and-such was in my alert list, but they never sent me an alert prior to the generic email sent to everyone. So maybe they're trying to make sure everybody gets a chance at the ammo, but they're subverting their entire alert thing in the process. Why sign up for them to alert you if they don't? Those generic all-customer emails were for Remington Golden Bullets, which I will no longer buy, but they were still in my alert list at the time. Removed now.
I think MidwayUSA does try to be a bit more egalitarian - kinda like BCM's "A-hole" charge on BCGs back in the days. :D

But I also agree with you in that those who took the time to sign up for specific alerts should have gotten first shots, and that the attempt to make things perhaps a bit more fair for everyone subverts their own customer-loyalty.

I've also found that their alerts sometimes just falls off for no reason.... :confused:

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I saw the Natchezz email on that CCI too, but I didn't order any. Thought about it though. Natchezz has good prices, but ridiculous shipping charges. I can't remember what their CCI cost was, but it was close to $40 per 500. A good price. But the shipping was $17 or $18. Horrible. I can't remember, but either you were severely limited in how much you could buy, or the shipping charges went way up above their already ridiculous levels the more you bought. Whatever it was - the final delivered price was too high for my tastes, given the equivalent Aguila I found at about the same time for much .
One of the things I like about Ammoseek is that they show whether the seller has high or low shipping costs. If you find several offers for comparable prices it is much easier to pick the one flagged with low shipping, versus having to go to each web site and get a shipping estimate.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One of the things I like about Ammoseek is that they show whether the seller has high or low shipping costs.
I never noticed that. I just went and looked, and sure enough, one of their columns has a shipping charge indicator. That'll teach me to skim through things on a website without looking closely.

Thanks for pointing this out! This will be a big help going forward.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I never noticed that. I just went and looked, and sure enough, one of their columns has a shipping charge indicator. That'll teach me to skim through things on a website without looking closely.

Thanks for pointing this out! This will be a big help going forward.
Hasn't always been there. I don't remember exactly when they started including it.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Was at Academy today( yesterday now) to take a friend to lunch. I had to wait while he tried to clear a path through all the cases of 22 LR in the floor. I asked where it all came from. He said it was on the truck this morning. All different brands and the price was not to bad on most of it. :eek::eek::eek:

Steve

·
Administrator
32,246 Posts
All of the academy stores here have had a decent selection of ammo, including 22, at least since last summer. I have picked up a few boxes on several trips. Price is always decent.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll be visiting Austin shortly. I'll have to check and see what's available. Then ship it back to myself in Colorado if I find any!

I remember back when I lived there in the 70's, we had a store named "Academy Surplus". I'm assuming they're just adopted the shorter version of the name these days. It was definitely a surplus store back in those days, but a good one.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I'll be visiting Austin shortly. I'll have to check and see what's available. Then ship it back to myself in Colorado if I find any!

I remember back when I lived there in the 70's, we had a store named "Academy Surplus". I'm assuming they're just adopted the shorter version of the name these days. It was definitely a surplus store back in those days, but a good one.
It has grown up now and is named Academy Sports. No longer family owned. A investment company bought the business just before I had to stop working there. It has changed completely since then. It is more a soccer mom store now. I used to go to Academy Surplus in Austin in the early seventies. It was a old timey surplus store then. Stuff was stacked everywhere so high you could not see over it. I loved that store. Times are a changing and I am having trouble keeping up. :D:D:D

Steve

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.