Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know shot shells do not function in most semi autos and are useless for self defence. I did a search and found there is a thread earlier asking about them but no one ever said whether they've actually tried shot shells in a PMR.

So the question is, has anybody actually tried shot shell in their PMR? I wonder if the light weight slide and the unique lockback/blowback system would cycle them. I just bought a box for my SA Ruger but haven't had time to try them in the PMR. Just wondering if anybody has had any actual experience with them in a PMR and if they had any problems. This knowledge would be nice to have before I try them in mine and possibly damage something.

Just wondering..

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
IMO: It won't hurt the gun, but it won't cycle it either.

Try it and see what it does then post a follow-up.

It'll make you famous!

rc

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Other than shooting rats/snakes INSIDE a structure like a barn or shed, what good is shot loads in pistol cases? I dont' see that it does anything other than tie up capacity for real rounds. You do realize that hollow points work on snakes, yes?
And Firedog, I'm not ragging on you, this is to the general gun folks. I just don't understand paying high dollar for a limited and wimpy round unless you are going to use it inside and don't want to tear up the barn.
Am I missing sompfin here? lord knows I have in the past.

Lop

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
And what did the snake ever do to you??I don't see a reason for shooting them at all... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've shoot 2 possums and one rat with the #12 shot out of a PMR, but
rcmodel is correct they won't cycle! They do work well if you make the first shot count.
Both possums 10 yds, the rat at 7. Normally I would stick with my SA Hawes for the "shot" but inquireing minds just have to know! Have since gone back to the Hawes for that type of "hunting". You know "the right tools......"

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Other than shooting rats/snakes INSIDE a structure like a barn or shed, what good is shot loads in pistol cases? I dont' see that it does anything other than tie up capacity for real rounds. You do realize that hollow points work on snakes, yes?
And Firedog, I'm not ragging on you, this is to the general gun folks. I just don't understand paying high dollar for a limited and wimpy round unless you are going to use it inside and don't want to tear up the barn.
Am I missing sompfin here? lord knows I have in the past.

Lop
That's exactly what I want them for. It is mostly for the wife who although she is a good shooter and gun handler she doesn't like snakes in and around her horse barn or horses. They seem to be getting plentiful recently. Shot shell are a little easier and less destructive shooting them out of the rafters. She carries the PMR with her working around the barn and on the tractor. She also carries it when she's trail riding. I wanted to load an extra mag with some shot shell and see how they do. I like the 30 rds but I think if the shot shell don't work I may just have her carry the SA revolver but it's a lot heavier. If the shot shells simply don't cycle it may be ok. She can rack the slide and manipulate FTFs & stove pipe clearing just fine. As long as I feel comfortable it won't damage the gun it's not like snakes are attacking so clearing a jam or malfunction is no big deal.

I just can't get her to pull the trigger on the SU16 and drop one of them coyotes. But let a snake go by and she'll pull the trigger quick. She says the .223 is too loud. I don't see it as much more louder than the 22 mag but she does.

·
Administrator
31,975 Posts
I've shoot 2 possums and one rat with the #12 shot out of a PMR...

Both possums 10 yds, the rat at 7.
Really, possums at 30 feet with rat shot? I am surprised it killed them at all, let alone humanely. :confused:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[quuote]Originally Posted by wolverine ms
I've shoot 2 possums and one rat with the #12 shot out of a PMR...

Both possums 10 yds, the rat at 7.[/quote]
Really, possums at 30 feet with rat shot? I am surprised it killed them at all, let alone humanely. :confused:
I can see it. I was surprised how tight my Single Six held snake shot at 7 & 10 yards. An 8" paper plate was peppered pretty good. Well enough to take a possum fairly quick I would think. Hell, I shot one off m porch with JHP out of the PMR and hit him just behind the head and exited out his left shoulder and he still crawled into the bushes before he died. I think it has a lot to do with the gun used.

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
Shot shell are a little easier and less destructive shooting them out of the rafters.
Be aware the shot can bounce off of rafters, tin roofs, and rocks right back atcha!

Eye protection is highly recommended when shooting them at anything hard.

rc

·
Administrator
31,975 Posts
I too am surprised whenever I see an armor plated alligator killed with a .22Lr, however I see it every week on Swamp people! And yes, apparently "humanely"
They are not shooting tiny #12 birdshot, nor are they shooting from 30 feet away. FMJ or even JHP 22 bullets, especially from a rifle at point blank range right into the brain, are capable of killing just about anything. They were used in slaughter houses to kill cows for many decades - almost surely still are in places. On Swamp People, you will notice occassionally when they don't get a shot lined up correctly, the bullet does skip off the gators skull.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I would be worried with the shot shells staying together ! My experience has always been to leave the shot for revolvers.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I carry either a NAA 22LR with 2 shotshells and 3 hollowpoints or a Davis 2 shot derringer 22WMR with 1 shot/1 hollowpoint when we go out walking, sometimes it's in my pocket when working out in the back moving rocks and such. I used to use the Davis (initial cost under $25) as a trap gun and never had a problem putting down rodent/varmint at close range although I don't recall possums at 10 yards. A 22WMR shot shell will definitely take out a snake or a possum at 3 yards though. The second shot is the hollowpoint and it will work out to 10 yards. After that, the old Davis Derringer is heavy enough to just throw it at them and do some damage !

Dan R

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I was just thinking the possums in that part of the country must be pretty wimpy. I don't have a PMR but I did once shoot a feral cat with a WMR shotshell from my 6.5 inch Rough Rider (was in the shed where I parked my car) because it kept hanging around and wanting to fight the cats that belonged there.The shot shells put that cat on the road but certainly didn't kill it or even seem to wound it very much - I saw it a few weeks later and it was none the worse for wear, although it didn't get in the car shed anymore.

I did kill a possum in my chicken coop once and it took three Stingers from my 5.5 inch 22A - all right in the cranial vault from about five yards - to finally do the job. The first, two times it just kind of fell over then sat back up and looked at me as if nothing happened. If I hadn't seen the blood/wounds, I might have thought I missed. In fact, that was the reason I picked the Rough Rider and upgraded to WMR for such purposes. My Heritage has a WMR shot shell as the first shot up but I don't think I would try shooting an East Tennessee possum with it.

I am still largely a revolver guy. I carry a revolver a lot and if I am around the house, at least during the summer time, I will either have a shot shell as the first up in whatever revolver I am carrying or I will carry my NAA mini as BUG with a shot shell as first up. I am sure HPs would work fine on a snake but if I shoot at a snake with a handgun then there is a good chance it is because I am about to get bitten. COM on a copperhead is a lot smaller than on a two-legged snake so I like that shot shells increase my chances of stopping it before I get bitten. Shot shells also greatly decrease the chance of a richochet/deflection from hitting the ground, a rock, etc. (sure, the shot might deflect off a rock but I'd a lot rather have a couple pellets of deflected #9 or #12 shot coming at me than a HP bullet.) There is also less chance of overpenetration, given that a snake is a rather shallow target. Shot shells are a bit pricey, I guess, but it isn't like I go through a box of them a week or anything. Once 'patterning' is established, a box will last me for years.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
They are not shooting tiny #12 birdshot, nor are they shooting from 30 feet away. FMJ or even JHP 22 bullets, especially from a rifle at point blank range right into the brain, are capable of killing just about anything. They were used in slaughter houses to kill cows for many decades - almost surely still are in places. On Swamp People, you will notice occassionally when they don't get a shot lined up correctly, the bullet does skip off the gators skull.
People also used .22LR to slaughter pigs. However, I don't think it actually kills the pigs so much as it stuns them. I say that because the next step is to 'stick' the pig. You want to sever one of the main blood vessels that goes into the heart so that the heart will pump most of the blood out, making the meat better. Now, I haven't done it, myself, but have discussed it with plenty of 'old timers' who have and that seems to be pretty standard. If the .22 killed the pig, I'm guessing the heart would not still be able to pump the blood out.

I wonder the same thing about those big gators on Swamp People. Does the .22 kill the gator or do they 'stick' it or use some other means of finishing it off once they get it in the boat.

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
Nah, the .22 kills them dead. Then you hang them by the back feet, then cut the artery in the neck and let them bleed out. The heart doesn't pump it, gravity drains the blood out. Did it many many times with my grandpa. He had over 300 pigs at any one time.

If you didn't kill the pig with the .22 shot, no way if it's still alive was it not gonna put up a fight. Sometimes it took 2-3 shots, but grandpa would usually kill them dead with one shot. A 200+ pound wounded pig with a bullet in it's head is gonna fight like mad. No way to stick it then.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts