Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
You may be referring to the LCP II. I haven't kept up with that. When Ruger first released the LCP, it was a part-for-part direct copy of the P3AT to the limits of manufacturing tolerance, with a prettier injection molded frame and an added slide stop. There are images of the exploded view bill of materials of both pistols. Ruger changed some part names but the parts were identical. The LCP was not just the same design as the P3AT. Most of the parts were interchangeable.

The biggest difference was Ruger wasn't quite exact in their copy and managed to introduce a drop safety issue in the LCP, necessitating a recall.
I remember when the P3AT first came out. I thought to myself, I sure wish someone would come out with a well made, reliable, pocket .380. I didn't have to wait long before Ruger did just that. ;)

·
Administrator
32,080 Posts
I remember when the P3AT first came out. I thought to myself, I sure wish someone would come out with a well made, reliable, pocket .380. I didn't have to wait long before Ruger did just that. ;)
Well, you waited 5 years for the Little Copied Pistol. The P32 was inroduced in 1999 and the P3AT followed in 2003. The 2nd gen P3AT came in 2005 and the LCP not until 2008.

1st gen P3ATs were not as reliable as the P32, but they were mostly fine. I have one for which I acquired a 32NAA conversion kit. That thing is a real pocket rocket. My 2nd gen P3AT with the navy blue grip is absolutely flawless, never a single issue over many rounds/years. I have seen plenty of problem LCPs, and yes there was a recall. I'm sure your copied/stolen pistol is just fine, but I'd put it up against my original Kelgren designed P3At any day.

Back on topic... anyone who can shoot a 22LR should have no issue with a 22mag. It does add a little velocity, even in a short barrel, and there are now 22mag short barrel rounds with fast burning powder designed for pistols. With 22mag, if the round doesn't stop them, the noise will scare them to death.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Kel-Tec Forum mobile app

·
Registered
418 Posts
Thinking about this some more, the real danger isn't unreliable primers it's a ruptured or split case. A split case that the extractor cannot remover instantly turns your gun into a paperweight. Another issue that doesn't really affect a .22 revolver until reload and can then be easily overcome.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Back on topic... anyone who can shoot a 22LR should have no issue with a 22mag. It does add a little velocity, even in a short barrel, and there are now 22mag short barrel rounds with fast burning powder designed for pistols.
Agreed......I was of the school of thought that there was negligible difference between 22LR and 22WMR in a short barrel revolver/pistol. The Lucky Gunner ballistics testing seems to have proven otherwise.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Reactions: Mr. Fisherman

·
Registered
20 Posts
Use the pistol you have with you. Make sure you can draw and operate it reasonably well. Make sure you carry it.

22LR is not optimal but it works better than curses.

·
Registered
482 Posts
.22 for SD? Yes.

CP33 for SD? No.
I'm not sure about this statement. I don't think anything would survive 33 rounds of any size fairly well placed. But I have a PMR30 and a CP33 and I'd rather be armed with the PMR for SD.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm not sure about this statement. I don't think anything would survive 33 rounds of any size fairly well placed. But I have a PMR30 and a CP33 and I'd rather be armed with the PMR for SD.
i would like to see george make the p32 into a 10 shot 22lr. i would buy and carry that one. i would use match ammo myself. just my two pennies.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
i would like to see george make the p32 into a 10 shot 22lr. i would buy and carry that one. i would use match ammo myself. just my two pennies.
I'd get one too just because. But I'd still carry my P32 32acp. I do have an LCPII 22LR that I like a lot for fun and more inexpensive practice. On the Ruger forum some folks wish that LCPII was also made in 32acp.

·
Registered
139 Posts
PMR30 and CP33 are my range toys.
However, poor reliability of both keeps them in that only status.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'd get one too just because. But I'd still carry my P32 32acp. I do have an LCPII 22LR that I like a lot for fun and more inexpensive practice. On the Ruger forum some folks wish that LCPII was also made in 32acp.
yup, yer right. i love my p32.s but i love 22lr pocket guns. it would sell better than the ruger i feel. we can call it the understudy weapon. i thought that there was a conversion kit under development at twisted industries. the pf9 and p11 kits i have work very well so i would but a p32 kit even if it cost the price of a complete weapon.

·
Registered
20 Posts
:D

The P32 fills the bill for me, too. If they release a P22 that is just a copy of the P32, count me in. I would love the LCP 2, I bet, but can't see myself spending that much for it when I have a P32.

·
Registered
342 Posts
+1 for P-32, mine’s been 100% reliable with various fmj loads.
As for .22 for defense, anything is better than nothing but IMHO the rule of threes applies.
Most encounters are at 3 feet, last 3 seconds and involve 3 rounds.
Now that we have the CP33 and P17, I think KT needs a light single stack pocket rimfire in the size/weight range of the P-32/P3AT.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
those 10 shot revolvers are hard to eject if you get a split case on top of trying to do 10 at once.
but here again, quality ammo does not split case a lot. The 22 'problems' are almost entirely bottom shelf problems. Practice with the junk, but carry something decent, and its fine.

·
Super Moderator
10,023 Posts
Now that we have the CP33 and P17, I think KT needs a light single stack pocket rimfire in the size/weight range of the P-32/P3AT.
Part of the business decision to justify this is the current ammo availability, or more accurately, the lack thereof. A buck and a quarter for bulk 9mm? Are you kidding me? The ongoing ammo shortage with accompanying ammo price increases is an incentive to design and manufacture a full range of modern 22 LR firearms. The CP33 and P17 are a good start, but there's a micro 22 pistol sized hole in Kel-Tec's lineup. I was posting my desire for such a wee beastie long before the current ammo insanity.

A bit off topic: Speaking of future Kel-Tec products I've wanted for years... I'd also love to see an ultralight survival oriented 22 LR rifle, probably folding, maybe with a 22 WMR option - semi-auto, or maybe even a straight-pull bolt action, possibly with a tubular magazine under the barrel. That's something that nobody has done well to my great surprise, as I think it'd be super popular and inexpensive to mass manufacture once injection molding and CNC programming/fixturing costs are amortized. Maybe sell it with a small roll top waterproof storage sleeve with space to store 200 rounds of bulk ammo and a minimalist cleaning and maintenance kit. It could be a Less-Is-More firearm. Keep it simple... and very lightweight and reliable.

·
Registered
482 Posts
A bit off topic: Speaking of future Kel-Tec products I've wanted for years... I'd also love to see an ultralight survival oriented 22 LR rifle, probably folding, maybe with a 22 WMR option - semi-auto, or maybe even a straight-pull bolt action, possibly with a tubular magazine under the barrel. That's something that nobody has done well to my great surprise, as I think it'd be super popular and inexpensive to mass manufacture once injection molding and CNC programming/fixturing costs are amortized. Maybe sell it with a small roll top waterproof storage sleeve with space to store 200 rounds of bulk ammo and a minimalist cleaning and maintenance kit. It could be a Less-Is-More firearm. Keep it simple... and very lightweight and reliable.
Yes, that would be on my wish list too. I paid $250 about four months ago for a new Mossberg 715 with a red dot, but I would much rather have a Kel-Tec. (Before anybody comments, I realize the M&P would probably be much better, but I'm not going to pay $500 to $700 for a plinker). But I do have 2 CMR30s for survival bags.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Got to have a range day yesterday. Almost everything fired was rimfire because of our current ammo apocalypse. Couple of observations.
We fired a good bit of aguila suprer extra, bulk 500 pack. It ran well in all 4 guns we had out, but had feed issues in the dirty mark3 22/45. Also induced the only ftf for the lcp2 .22lr. Ran a box of cci’s through the same pistols, after shooting them a good bit (50-75 rounds each) and they ran great, no issues at all. Good ammo runs well no matter what, obviously.

Despite ruger being really good at coping other designs, the lcp2 in .22lr did great with self defense style mag dumps. At the end of shooting day, all nice and dirty we twice ran all 3 mags I own as fast as possible, with the aguila bulk ammo. 60 rnds all total.

I’m confident now that this little gun will perform. Now I’ve got the fun part of getting wifey to start training with it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'm mid process of getting the wife to carry a pistol. I'm fully committed to .22lr for the wife. Can't get her carry anything bigger, and she's become more recoil sensitive over the last decade.

Liberty I think lots of company's copied the keltec, but ruger's got size weight and reliability going for this gun, so now I own one.

Wifey liked going to the range with her bersa .380, she wasn't a bad shot either. Then we had a kid.
Been to range one time since the birth of our daughter. Ok maybe twice?
Last fall? I got a lcp 22 lr for her, I did the now 200 rounds break in with it and aside from a first mag ftf the gun has now fired 4 different types of ammo. No issues.
For the first time ever, I got her to wear an IWB concealed carry style holster, for a couple of hours, empty chamber.
Size and weight didn't bother her at all, I even got the concession that she would like to try and shoot it soon. I picked CCI maxi mag HP ammo for carry ammo.

Observation I'd never thought of. IWB holsters for ladies got to be super comfy on the skin side. Their undies don't go up to the waist band. Never thought of this. The kydex holster did not work. Sticky soft holster with no ability to hold open for re-holstering was the winner. Then I really screwed up and suggested a belly band holster so it would conceal more comfortably.
She saw the picture of one and I got the look... you know that look. Holster choice has nothing to do with weight babe.... lost traction on the whole concept but she did wear a holstered weapon for more than hour.

So we're here, and I hope to get the wife to carry a .22 for self defense. It a concession, but it's better than being empty handed or a victim, right?
This is what I did for my doughter who recently move out out of the house and own her own. My wife and I decided to purchase the Ruger LCP II 22lr. as gift for her after she expressed interest in owning a firearm. My brother and I decided that It would serve well as a defensive choice given that she is petite and never owned a firearm before. I took it to range and fired 100 round of five different types of ammo with out one hiccup. I was pleasantly surprised at how reliable out of the box it was. The other thing was that it holds 10 + 1 (11 rounds). I topped it off with CCI mini mags 40gr round nose ammo. My 1b choice would be AGIUILAR 38gr copperplated hollow points. I purchased her a Desantis inside the waste band holster. Hope she never has to use it all. I know 22lr. Is not the best for selfdefence but hey it's a gun with 11 rounds.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts