Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talked to Kel-Tec support today asking if they still sold a threaded barrel for the PMR-30 since the web site did not show them. The guy said yes and then first said I needed to ship the gun in to have the barrel fitted...then I told him it was new, because I thought he might be assuming it was really old with the defective barrel issues. He asked for the serial #, confirmed it was new, and said there were several changes to the PMR-30 in the last few months. I asked what and he said slide, barrel, extractor and others I missed and did not get written down. Sounds like some aftermarket parts might be affected (TandemKross, MCARBO, etc.)

The person he referred me to for the threaded barrel was not in and vm was full. I'll try again tomorrow or later in the week and update on any confirmed changes.

Does anyone else know of PMR-30 such changes/updates? We should track them, though I am new to this site and PMR-30. Suggestions welcome.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Neat! I've been kinda holding off on buying myself another PMR30 after Wifey ended up with mine, mainly because I'm hoping to find a two-tone silver/black one (or any other color that looks appealing to me besides plain ol' black), but if they upgraded current production ones with some fixes for issues, then hey! Procrastination pays off once more. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Talked to Kel-Tec support today asking if they still sold a threaded barrel for the PMR-30 since the web site did not show them. The guy said yes and then first said I needed to ship the gun in to have the barrel fitted...then I told him it was new, because I thought he might be assuming it was really old with the defective barrel issues. He asked for the serial #, confirmed it was new, and said there were several changes to the PMR-30 in the last few months. I asked what and he said slide, barrel, extractor and others I missed and did not get written down. Sounds like some aftermarket parts might be affected (TandemKross, MCARBO, etc.)

The person he referred me to for the threaded barrel was not in and vm was full. I'll try again tomorrow or later in the week and update on any confirmed changes.

Does anyone else know of PMR-30 such changes/updates? We should track them, though I am new to this site and PMR-30. Suggestions welcome.
Do you have the person's name who we need to talk to for a threaded barrel?

·
Registered
3 Posts
It was my understanding that the PMR30 could not use a threaded barrel for a suppressor as it would need a piston designed suppressor version like a 1911 (where the barrel is not fixed). I don’t know if a vendor that makes a piston-based 22LR suppressor.
The CP33 (22LR) comes with a threaded barrel and works well suppressed (at least with my TacSol Suppressor.) It has a fixed barrel like on a Ruger Mark whatever or other 22LR auto pistols.

·
Grand Poobah
1,387 Posts
Kel-Tec is always making little revisions. A couple of years ago, I sent in a very early-production PF-9 to get the improved barrel for better reliability with a wider range of hollow points, and I think the only part that made the return trip was the aftermarket trigger I had installed. They do go over guns sent in for repairs, and update any parts that have been improved significantly. They essentially took a twelve year old gun and gave me a new one in exchange. It has performed flawlessly.

I wonder if they are still upping the PMR-30 twist rate to stop the world's most common .22 WMR ammo (CCI with a 40 gr bullet) from keyholing in a disturbing number of these guns. The original pistols had a 1 in 13 inch twist, which was already faster than most in this caliber. My older one is 1 in 11 inches and keyholes consistently with this ammo, and my newer one is 1 in 9 inches and keyholes occasionally. Both shoot other kinds of ammo just fine, so that's what I shoot. Neither of my threaded barrels, which are probably 1 in 11 twist based on when I bought them, keyhole with this ammo.

As far as fitting is concerned, they have pretty good tolerances, and parts interchange readily. I found this out when troubleshooting a problem with firing pin strikes being too close to the edge to fire reliably with my newer PMR-30. There are definite differences between the two, but the parts fit well enough to function, and establish that the problem was with the slide, and not with the barrel, firing pin, barrel block or rim support block. I don't know how necessary actual fitting is, but sending the gun in lets them check the function of that particular combination. I sent mine in, and they replaced the slide for sure, and it has had no problems since.

buzzsaw

·
Registered
3 Posts
It was my understanding that the PMR30 could not use a threaded barrel for a suppressor as it would need a piston designed suppressor version like a 1911 (where the barrel is not fixed). I don’t know if a vendor that makes a piston-based 22LR suppressor.
The CP33 (22LR) comes with a threaded barrel and works well suppressed (at least with my TacSol Suppressor.) It has a fixed barrel like on a Ruger Mark whatever or other 22LR auto pistols.
A threaded barrel is also useful for a muzzle break -- not just a suppressor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts