2000rd Count P3AT Review

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by chihuahuatn, Jul 3, 2009.

1. chihuahuatn

chihuahuatn New Member

Aug 31, 2008
    Hello everyone 2000rd update on my P3AT

My experience with my P-3AT, no BS

Total Rounds Fired= 2,006rds (two 6rd mags w/ +1 extensions used)  
    4 FTF (feed) total  
    1 FTE  
    0 FTF (fire)  
    0 random jams  

Summary of Failures:
    1st FTF: First day I bought the pistol without an initial cleaning I had a FTF @ count #2, with WWB ammo; I attributed this to not doing an initial cleaning and user error.  

@Round count # 179 a fluff and buff polish was done at this point my P-3AT was digesting PMC Bronze ammo and WWB with no issues. I also tested Corbon DPX 14rounds (my carry ammo) no issues.  

I typically shoot 25rds a range visit…once a week and clean the gun that day.  Hopps#9 and CLP.  

2nd , 3rd , 4th FTF all occurred with back to back range sessions (two different days)  with Georgia Arms factory reloaded .380 ammo @ around~ 350rd count (first time I used the ammo).  I was concerned that something was going on with the pistol so I stopped shooting the GA-arms ammo and switched to PMC Bronze and Seller and Bellot ammo and since then the FTF’s has stopped. I also shot another 20rds of Corbon DPX w/ 0 issues.  For the record I love Georgia Arms factory reloads all my other guns eat them up w/ 0 issues so I will continue to buy from them in other calibers but for me I will be hesitant of using it in my Kel-Tec.  

Selected Fluff and Buff done at 447

5th failure was a FTE at @897, with Georgia Arms 380. At this point I suspect my P-3AT needs some parts upgrades, new recoil springs, new extractor spring, new extractor and replaced all mag springs. No smilies on any ammo  :)

Current steady diet of Privi, Blazer, Speer with some Hornady Critical Defense

Current round count at 2,006

I try to replace all springs, extractor every 800rds~1,000rds , This may seem excessive but it is my carry gun. In addition Kel Tec’s service is excellent when getting new parts.

Today at the range I had 0 failures, however on the last two mags I noticed that the assembly pin was walking out as I was shooting this has never happened before. Upon closer inspection at home after detailed disassembly part number 284 assembly pin spring was fractured/sheered thus not engaging the assembly pin. Thus Kel Tec will be geting a call on Monday for a new part...rather disappointing.  :-[

Lesions I have learned:
    1) My Kel-Tec P-3AT is ammo sensitive and I suspect a lot of people in this board have had similar issues.  
    2) The “Fluff and Buff” works very well every Kel-Tec should have one done. In addition each time I clean my P-3AT I also note where the wear is showing up and adjust the occlusion/wear accordingly with my dremal.  
    3) I love my +1 mag extensions, the extra round is awesome and makes grip better in my hands, and this is an advantage over the LCP in my opinion.  
    4) I have a Gen. 2 so at every cleaning I tighten the extractor bolt.  
    5) When changing magazines I always manually press down the mag-catch as to save on the plastic mag-catch wear.....used to do this but I have DaveNC's metal mag-catch so I don't worry.
    6) Every 800-1000 rounds I replace all recoil springs, mag springs, extractor as prophylaxis.
    7) Most importantly as the P3AT climbs up in round count careful attention must be paid to the parts as they wear.

If the P-3AT is for you you may experience something like this.  

2. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    My P3AT has digested everything I've put through it---factory and handloads, FMJ and HP. My LCP is the finicky gun not my KT.

3. Mr._E

Mr._E Guest

Nice report! Thanks for that.

4. RPM_64

RPM_64 New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    +1 Heck of a test. Thanks

5. Boggs51

Boggs51 New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Thanks for the extensive test. We all know, considering the cost of ammo these days, that it was a VERY EXPENSIVE TEST :)

6. kt4me

kt4me New Member

Feb 9, 2006
    Sorry about the failure rate in your test.

With you pistol being that undependable, I suggest you simply pack it up and send it to me and forget it even existed, you pain will be lessened that way ;D

7. chihuahuatn

chihuahuatn New Member

Aug 31, 2008
    [​IMG]

A picture of the fratured/sheered assembly pin spring (has this ever happened to anyone else?) . I'm depressed that I will have to be carrying my Kahr PM9 over the weekend/week
    Mike

8. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    I wonder if hardware store would have external hairpin cotter spring that would work
    [​IMG]

9. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    It is not at all common, but any mass-produced mechanical part can fail. This is why long ago I purchased from Kel-tec Parts Dept, spares of all small parts for my pistols to keep on hand. Now whenever I occasionally change a part, I call Kel-tec service for a free replacement part. This way, I don't ever have to carry a bigger or heavier gun. :)

10. riverkeeper

riverkeeper New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Thanks ... great report.
    My second gen is at 1200 rounds mostly American Eagle FMJ and MagTec FMJ, Speer GD, HyraShok and a couple S&B boxes. Carry AE and/or HydaShok.

One short stroke by me in the first or second mag and the rest worked great.

A full OCD fluff and buff x 2 + rampectomy + one spring change.

Clean with Hoppes and Break Free. Lube rails with an extremely tiny amount of Mobil 1 5 wt and the rest with Eezox.

11. frankalm

frankalm New Member

May 29, 2009
    Is it a Gen 2???