Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

200 Rounds wear & tear pics

845 views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  The_Fall_Guy 
#1 ·
Nothing bad to report ;D

I put another 100 rounds through my J3 series.
Everything has fired, ejected, and chambered flawless. All rounds eject striaght up into the air.
My sites shoot low at 7 yards, but I've been able to compensate for it.

See less See more
#3 ·
Two Pistol Packer said:
  Very nice photography, Jason! I have never been able to photograph the inside of a barrel like that. How did you do it?

Packer.
Thanks.

I flipped the shaft on my tripod to mount the camera directly over an upside down desk lamp.
Then I balanced the barrel on the light bulb. ;D
I intend to try the same thing on some of my rifles in a future project. ;D

#7 ·
I just shot from 10 feet and put 4 out of 5 shots into the same hole. the 5th was a "flier" and it hit 1/2" away.

It is NOT the sights. You have to master the long trigger pull and the hellacious trigger snap, which will cause your barrel to drop.

Get some Azoom snap caps and practice dry-firing until you don't see the muzzle drop at the end of the trigger pull.

Just take a bead on something and watch it when you dry fire--You will see the muzzle drop whereof I speak.

Packer.

#9 ·
What 2PP said. Your results are very typical of someone not used to a long double action trigger. It takes practice and concentrating on not allowing the muzzle to drop. There are several easy trigger stops that can help. Here's an oldie but goodie:

http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/whitestop.htm

People have used all kinds of common things to make trigger over-travel stops. Small adhesive-backed appliance, stereo, computer, etc bumpers can be cut down. One guy sent me one he had cut down from a hockey puck.

After installing the stop, you want to file it down until it stops the trigger JUST after it breaks. That extra over-travel pulls the muzzle down. Obviously, you need snap caps to adjust the trigger stop.

Although the sights here are P11 and 1st gen P32, the principles are all the same:

http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/accuracy.htm

Then again, if they're riding Shetland ponies, you won''t have to aim low. ;D

#10 ·
I'll put a snap cap in with TxC's scope stuff, and hope to have it in the mail to him before Christmas.  Will you see each other around then?  Practice slow squeezing the trigger with live ammo until you get a feel for where it breaks.  I haven't had that problem since about my second range session.  I'm no tack driver like 2PP  ;), but I can keep them on a regular sheet of paper at 20 - 25'.

:)

PS: Your barrel needs a shave.............. ;D

#11 ·
Two Pistol Packer said:
  I just shot from 10 feet and put 4 out of 5 shots into the same hole. the 5th was a "flier" and it hit 1/2" away.

Packer.
That is some impressive shooting. I have been shooting for 40 years including military training and can not achieve that with the P3AT. At 25' a good group is 12"

I probably could have done better when I was younger and the hands were steadier and the eyes were better :)

I can do better with my .22lr Ruger Mark III and my son-in-law's S&W model 10, I can get groups with them in the 4" range at 25' if I concentrate, but I consider - at least for me - the P3AT to be a belly gun.

#12 ·
#14 ·
Two Pistol Packer said:
  Oh Jason: I should add that the P3AT does not like a "six oclock" hold. It (And the P-11)  likes to cover the center of the target with the front sight.

The PF-9 though, (with the P-11 barrel) LIKES the six oclock hold. Go figure!

Packer.
Gosh darnet I should have tried that!  ;D
I don't like covering up the target, but I guess
I may have to get used to it.  :-/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.