Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yeah its been a while. im shooting my p3at on a regular basis now. 50 rounds here, there. but a problem has come to. my magazine sometimes dislodges after popping off a round. id say it happens 50% of the time. its really getting annoying. i thought it was my trigger finger wrapping around the frame and smacking the mag release, but im not so sure anymore. took it out today and forced every finger away from the mag release and it still happened. i have the bersa ext. btw. could my mag release be worn down to the point recoil strips the mag from the grip? or am i just not made for the p3at or what? i need some help.

·
Premium Member
17,775 Posts
I'm not sure about you, but I push the mag release button while inserting the mag. It's only a plastic piece, and if you just stick the mag in like on a regular pistol, it can wear down the catch. Beach has developed a Nickle Chromium mag catch that he'll sell for around $15 I think. I keep meaning to get one for mine, but I'm a procrastinater. They seem to do the trick when used. If you rather stay factory, just call Kel-tec, and I'm sure they'll put you one in the mail.

;D

G

·
Max, can u test this weapon without the bersa extension. I think I have read that "sometimes" it can effect the magazine locking correctly. Very easy to test it out, take it off and try with a standard magazine. If it still insists on popping out, either get a new one from kt or try beech's metal one. ::)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for your replies. i ended up taking it to my friends house after cleaning it and shot 50 rounds in his backyard. we took off the bersa extensions. interesting thing, both of us had the same problem. the magazines still pop out, but not as much. both of us have long skinny fingers and i think we both unknowingly hit the magazine release no matter how much we try. :-[

·
Premium Member
17,775 Posts
Well if your sure the mag catch is okay and holds well when just being held, some of us have sanded down the mag catch button so it doesn't protrude as much. It would be a trial and test thing. Sand a little, and test. Do this several times until it is low enough to prevent accidental release, but still high enough to be released. I think someone in here even went as far as to build up a pocket around their button, so the thumb rode on the higher pocket and stayed off the button until deliberate use. I believe they used 2 part epoxy for the buildup. Just some options.

;)

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
You cannot slam this magazine home as you can with most auto pistols. Whatever the cause, you have a worn mag release. Call KT service: 1-800-515-9983. They will be happy to send you a new mag catch and spring.

What is happening: When you grip the extension at the bottom, it pulls the bottom of the mag back. When the gun fires, recoil pushes the top of the mag back. Now the whole mag has moved back off of the worn mag catch and it drops out.

The new mag catch will fix you up. The only other thing that can cause this is a warped handgrip. THAT would require somehow overheating the grip though.

Packer.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
What everybody else said.

IMO: Mag extensions are not for everybody.

Depending on your hand size, you can shear off the plastic mag catch just by squeezing real hard.

rcmodel

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
im ordering a mag catch from beach. hope it solves the problem. but i kinda like the mag extensions. it really helps with recoil dampening. plus, i can get all but a 1/4 of my pinky around the grip. i got some thin piano playin' fingers.

·
Premium Member
17,775 Posts
Max said:
im ordering a mag catch from beach. hope it solves the problem. but i kinda like the mag extensions. it really helps with recoil dampening. plus, i can get all but a 1/4 of my pinky around the grip. i got some thin piano playin' fingers.

Lucky you! I got the extension so I could get my ring finger to fit!

;D

·
Registered
846 Posts
Max,

When you get my catch, it will secure the mags no matter what kind of extentions you use. I enlarged the surface area that holds the mag in place, some of them need a little grinding just so you can insert the mag smoothly without pushing the button. I am doing the grinding and fitting before they ship, so its a drop in part.

Beach. ;D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.