Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 2 years ago my house was broken into and PF9 stolen. A year later a call from a State Prosecutor asking about the pistol and if I knew the perp that was arrested for firing it off out in public. No ma'am!! So after the paperwork and affidavit signed, another year later the PF9 is returned via sent overnite to my local sheriff dept and I go pick it up, wondering how it looks and if it'll cycle since the Prosecutor had told me it was pretty beat up. Luckily I still had an 8rd magazine bcuz when I picked it up there was a Kahr 9mm mag in it!! Here it is b4&after. At 1st I cleaned it up but the rust had it all pity and ****ty looking so stripped it down, sandblasted the slide and Duracoated it using Desert Mirageflage kit...
(note:i kept a spot on each side of the grip original color to see if it wld blend and am going to cover it when I start next project just bcuz I hate to have to mix such small amount n then clean everything. Also still waiting for longer cure b4 I try to clean off the stencil adhesive residue. This is my 1st time using Duracoat. I highly recommend it and am happy I got an entire kit and xtra hardener and sand additive, I have a lot of paint leftover, enuf to do my Glock and M4..

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I may have sent it in if I still lived in Florida but after I cleaned it and test fired it I didnt really feel that it needed factory refurbishing. The internals seam fine, if Keltec put a better finish on their pistols like a Glocks finish I dont think it would have looked so bad, mainly surface rust, cosmetic

·
Administrator
32,246 Posts
Wow! Looks great with a new lease on life.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Pretty obvious that rust formed while they were storing your property for an extra year.

Did they explain why you couldn't have it back when it was first recovered ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Very nice work. If I had your skill, I would not send one back to the factory either.

Pinstriper, a friend of mine had two rifles stolen from his truck. Apparently a roofing crew saw him load the cases the night before an elk hunt. The police recovered both rifles but held them until after the trial and conviction, which was almost 18 months after he was notified they had his rifles.

I know there are horror stories about firearms damaged while in police custody, but why do you assume the rust occurred there?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all who said it looks good. The barrel I just polished after it sat in a jar of solvent, I didnt blast it or duracoat it bcuz I cldnt find anything to plug/block the ends of it to avoid damaging rifleing. As for why the police had it so long, when the police recover a weapon (or possibly anything stolen) the person they arrested with it has to go to court even if they didnt steal it, they were arrested for carrying and/or firing it and court dates can take a long long time. Back in 2007 the house I was renting was also broke into and a small safe was stolen with my wifes Glock 26 in it. Within 6 months I got a call from a detective telling me they found her gun and that some guy shot another guy in the face with it and the bullet lodged into his nasal cavity(ouch) but he was alive. The suspect led police on a chase, crashed and nearly beat their dog to death and swallowed 1/2oz of cocaine b4 they caught him. It took a lot longer to get that gun back, both men were in a coma, when they woke the victim didnt want to press charges but the state did and the idiot wanted to take it to trial. That gun was covered in paint marker with evidence # case # etc but it cleaned up nicely. http://www.heraldtribune.com/news/20080525/man-shot-outside-sarasota-night-club

Im not 100% sure that the rust is from sitting on a shelf in evidence but being in a concrete room with no oil with Fla humidity it was my guess. Ive had a cpl dif guns end up with small rust spots from sitting in my big safe in an air conditioned house until I bought a thing to stick in the safe that helps fight rust and humidity.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.