2 Gen P3AT Weight

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by gvaldeg1, May 24, 2008.

1. gvaldeg1

gvaldeg1 New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    It seems that I have seen a bunch of different numbers for the weight of the P3AT. Kel-Tec says that the P3AT weighs 8.3 oz (I know the 1st gen P3s are lighter). I have a gram scale that is rated to be within 1 %. On my scale, my P3AT weighs 256 grams (9.0 oz.) with an empty magazine not 8.3 oz (236 g) which is what Kel-Tec says the P3At weighs. With no magazine, it weighs 7.9 oz. Fully loaded with 7 rounds of Buffalo Bore Gold Dots it weighs 11.3 oz. The empty magazine weighs 1.1 oz. In any event, none of these weights correspond to 8.3 oz. I really don't think that the scale is wrong. I've tried weighing things of known weight and the scale is on. I think the the P3AT weight is closer to the Ruger LCP weight (9.4 oz.) than the factory numbers lead us to believe. (Actually, this makes sense since the LCP is essentially a direct copy of the P3 except for the slide stop.) Don't get me wrong...I'm not knocking the P3AT. I love the gun. It's fun to shoot and amazingly accurate for such a short barrel. Also, I really don't know why people need recoil pads and slip-ons etc. for this gun. I think that the P3 recoil is a little "brisk" but not at all unpleasant even with the BB +P rounds. Have any of you weighed your 2nd gen P3ATs and if so, what did you come up with? Once again, I'm not complaining! I think that 11.3 oz fully loaded is great. It's my primary carry gun now that it's hot in Arizona.

2. rhinokrk

rhinokrk New Member

Feb 20, 2008
    It wouldn't be a surprise if Kt made a 'mistake' on the weight of the P3AT, they made the same 'mistake' on OAL lengh of the P11 which was never reported until the PF9 came out.

3. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    Don't listen to the Newbie! LOL

(He is probably right, however.)

4. Mark_F

Mark_F New Member

Mar 29, 2008
    I would have to say "it is what it is". I carry a P3AT in my front pocket and don't even notice it's there, (most of the time).

5. gvaldeg1

gvaldeg1 New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Me too!    ;D

6. gvaldeg1

gvaldeg1 New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    I'm surprised that nobody replied that actually weighed their P3.

7. gvaldeg1

gvaldeg1 New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    How many posts does it take before I'm not listed as a Junior Member?

8. gvaldeg1

gvaldeg1 New Member

Feb 8, 2008
  9. If you do a detailed fluff and buff, trim a bit off the bottom of the trigger, sand out the seams, trim out the overflash, remove every third line of checkering on the grip, use LIGHT WEIGHT OIL, and make sure you keep the pocket lint out of it.. I bet you could reduce over all weight by at least 2.4743 grams. :-/

10. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    8.3 oz. Empty no magazine, w pocket clip and metal mag catch and Sprinter pads and grip sleeve and a tiny bit of luminescent paint on the sights, heavily coated with lube and grease. Magazines w ammo are so varied they don't matter much. But then I could be making all this up since I don't have any weapons any more.

-Scott

11. DANG-- I forget about the paint! No wonder mine weighs so much!

Mitch... shuffling off to the wifes medicine cabinet to get her rubbing alcohol to rub off those heavy sights!

gvaldeg1...... Just messing with ya a bit....I hope you know it is really late for me to be up this late trying to be funny......but it was a long day and I needed to unwind.

12. gvaldeg1

gvaldeg1 New Member

Feb 8, 2008
  13. tommy51s

tommy51s New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Kansas City
    Thanks for posting some actually measured weights of the different parts. Whatever the P3 weight, it's pretty comfortable in the pocket. Before I bought mine, I carried an 11 oz bag of quarters in my pocket to see what it would be like. Then I did the same with a bigger bag of quarters equivalent to the NAA Guardian .380. What a difference!! It convinced me that the Kel-Tec was the only choice. (That was pre-copycat from Ruger.)

14. quickmick7

quickmick7 New Member

Oct 24, 2006
    south florida
    alot of companies out there don't have the correct listings on weight...i weighed my kel-tecs and chater arms on wifey's food scale and all were wrong.....i tend to believe her scale because she is looking awful good these days..but i guess not all scales are created equal..... :D

15. joje

joje New Member

Nov 1, 2007
    my p3at hardcrome + empty magazine + scotch tape covering the hammer slot weights in at 257 grams = 9.07 oz. sounds like kel-tec should update their info.

16. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    HC changes the equation drastically (well drastically in proportion to over all weight).

-Scott

17. joje

joje New Member

Nov 1, 2007
    really! i thought HC was just a surface treatment - couldnt imagine it would make a measurable difference on weight. anyway, since my numbers are basically identical to the starter of the thread, i bet he too has a HC piece.

18. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    HC is a plating so it is going to add something. I think Sprinter at one time said ".006" Since we are measuring to 1/100th of an ounce or grams :) that is pretty drastic!

-Scott

19. alamo

alamo New Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Anyone have both a P-3AT & LCP and a scale?  I'd be curious to see if the LCP is really 1+ ounce heavier than the P-3AT.

20. joje

joje New Member

Nov 1, 2007
    anyone have a blued p3at and a scale? i'd like to know just out of curiousity. did a back-of-the-envelope calculation and it seems like the hard chrome could actually make as much as 10-20 grams of difference