1st Range Report

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by JimBob, Jan 28, 2008.

1. JimBob

JimBob New Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Well thought I should go ahead and put up my range report also!

Last weekend I purchased a 1st Gen P3AT, grey grip, blued slide from a seller in MI on gunbroker.com. I got a pretty decent deal on it all things considered. It was listed as "Like New In Box" condition. While doing some research on the internet I found a local forum where this dealer had also posted it for sale. His comments where that it had been fired about 20rds. While after recieving it, it was pretty appearent that this was not the case, it had definitely been fired more then 20 rds! However it was still in very very good shape! It came with the original box, zipper pouch, orange tag, & lock.

As most of you probably know by now I heavily researched everything on these, I came to the decision that a 1st gen was what I wanted, and I also wanted the HC finish. I couldn't even find a 2nd gen in HC for a reasonable price to save my life. But I found this 1st gen in the grip color I wanted and appeared in great shape so I went for it with the thought that I will have it Nickel'd by Jack after I proved it's reliability.

So I picked it up from a great local guy that handled my FFL transfer for $10, and on the way home stopped by the local indoor range I shoot at. I had all my cleaning supplies and range gear with me. I decided for the S&G factor to not do anything to it but shoot it and see what I came up with.

I took a whole bunch of older .380 ammo I have had around to get rid of it and to test it out with a few different types of rounds. I took a 50 rd box of Sellier & Belloit 95gr FMJ, almost a whole 50rd box of "Justice" yellow box 100gr FMJ, a bunch of loose FMJ & some lead round nose rds of unknown origin (IIRC gunshow reloads), and I bought a box of new American Eagle 100gr FMJ.

I ran 32 magazine's through the pistol for a total of 192 rounds!! I had a total of 4 failures the entire time. 2 failures to completely eject a round, and 2 failures to completely extract a round. (the extraction failures did not result in a stuck case, just didn't completely pull the casing from the chamber) The ejection errors and 1 extraction error ALL happened in the first two magazines through the gun, and while shooting the loose rounds of unknown origin. I am going to contribute all three of these to ammo issues and limp wristing while trying to get used to the gun. The last extraction failure happend on the second to last magazine and probably were associated to dirty buildup in the gun as I did NOT clean or do anything to the gun besides pick it up and go shoot all 192 rounds in one, one hour setting. I did however pause about half way through the session to let the little gun cool down as she was hot, and my hand was hurting pretty good so I shot 50 rds through my G27 for a break.

All in all for shooting almost 200 rds in one session I am VERY pleased with the outcome. I had read lots of accounts of being able to shoot about 50 or so rounds before starting to have failures due to being dirty so I was pretty pleased with the performance. It did take a few magazines to get used to using the sights on this little gal, as well as the very long trigger pull. After the "getting to know you" period my accuracy greatly improved. It definitely proved it was reliable as far as I am concerned, and proved to be a pretty accurate shooter all things considered. At 10 and 15 feet I was able to keep atleast 75% of all rounds fired in a 4" circle on the colored circle targets. Further out the groupings spread a bit but all were easily within COM.

But damn does my hand hurt! hahah There was a sharp piece of plastic flashing on the underside of where the frame and grip meet at the webbing of my hand that actually chewed some skin off, and that webbing of my right hand actually swelled up a tiny bit later in the day yesterday! Still a little sore. My trigger finger also seems to have suffered a bit from being pinched underneith between the trigger and the trigger guard. I could of swore I saw a mod that sanded down or removed a bit of the bottom portion of the long trigger. I will investigate that a little.

When I got it home I completely dissassembled it and cleaned the heck out of it. I let it all sit out to try for a few hours and then came back and performed a COMPLETE F&B on it, including the firing pin etc. I stopped and purchased some 400 & 800 grit sandpaper and went to town on everything. Oil'd & greased her back up and she is very smooooth now on the cycling!!

Overall I am VERY VERY happy with my purchase! I definitely got a shooter. I figure one more range trip (probably not close in round count though) and I will take it back down and prepare it for plating from Jack.

I do have one question though, after dissassembly and cleaning I noticed that the original magazine that came with it is very slightly cracked on top near both the right and left hand upright "posts", I guess you would call them, on the back edge of the mag. This is right where the uppermost shell contacts it. Is this something covered under warranty? I have a new one that I purchased from KT but was unsure if this cracking of the old one would be covered or not?

Anyway, what would a report be without pictures??

This was before the F&B after dissassembly:

[​IMG]

And this is after putting her all back together again:

[​IMG]

2. spence13e

spence13e New Member

May 11, 2006
    Kansas
    most excellent, JimBob!!! as many can attest, this ain't a real fun gun to shoot a lot... lol, my extractor broke within the first 30 rounds and i needed it up and running to my standards so i could go out of state so she had 171 rounds fired in one trip to the range (although i stopped to let it cool down and add more grease somewhere around the 75th...). that hurt just a tad bit.

after getting addicted to these little buggers, it's always great to see another satisfied KT customer!

spence

3. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
  4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    That was a very well written Post and the information related to a 1G P3AT was excellent. Thanks for taking the time to share the joy. :)

And A very good find

5. Packer

Packer Banned

May 14, 2005
      Hi JimBob! It looks to me like you may have the old "tall" ejector part 115. You probably also don't have the improved 1st gen P32 extractor with the little extra tab.

Call KT Service at 1-800-515-9983 and have them send these free parts plus a new set of recoil springs and a mag. They won't ASK if you bought it used--And YOU shouldn't tell.

Packer.

6. JimBob

JimBob New Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Thanks Spence & JFB, I am pretty happy with it! Will be even more so after getting some plating done! :cool:

TxCajun, thanks for pointing me to that link! Obviously I had read about the "smiley" issue but kind of forgot about it in my excitement! That is exactly where my mag is cracked. I will have to check the followers on both mags tonight. Yikes though, I need to find some better pictures of the "rampectomy" to see better how much to cut/grind off to fix it.

Two Pistol Packer, thanks for the tips. Although I am a bit confused! Prior to recieving the pistol, based off of a post you made to another member who recently picked up a 1st gen P3AT, I went ahead and called K-T, and ordered the all the parts you mentioned as well as purchasing the additional magazine so I would have it all here and ready to go for the F&B. But the replacement part #115 K-T sent is identical to the one already installed. Also I am confused about the extractor. The one K-T sent me looks just like the picture of part# 180 on both the p32 and p3at in the manual diagrams. If you laid it flat on the table with the pin hole pointing up it will lay flat. However the one currently installed on the slide is a bit different, if you laid it on the table in the same manner it would not lay flat. The tip of the extractor has an elongated "lip" on it at the bottom that extends downwards a little bit on the end. Is this what you mean? Also I was under the impression that P3AT's used a metal guide rod? That is what is installed in mine, but the recoil springs K-T sent me were installed on a polymer guide rod.. is one better then the other? Should I replace the metal one with the new polymer one?

Thanks in advance for your help!

7. Packer

Packer Banned

May 14, 2005
    It sounds like you have a "Late" model FG that already HAS all the improvements. Keep it the way it is.

They must have sent you P32 springs and polymer guide rod. DO NOT use these.

Packer.

8. JimBob

JimBob New Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Interesting, I guess I should give them a call back regarding the magazine and send the possible P32 recoil springs/guide rod back to K-T in exchange for the proper P3AT set.

Other then cutting/grinding down the feed ramp for the smiley issue what else can be done to try to safeguard the new mag from the cracking? Since this pistol didn't have any problems feeding anything I almost hate to go chopping away at the ramp if I don't have to. :-/

9. Packer

Packer Banned

May 14, 2005
    Tell them about it. If they want them back they will send you a SSAE mailer.

NOTHING will make the smileys go completely away. A rampectomy will certainly extend the life of your mags though. Some ammo hurts the mags more than others.

Packer.

10. JimBob

JimBob New Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Just wanted to update this with my latest range trip. No where near as many rounds down range this time but I had a different purpose. This time I ran 25 rounds down range, all were my own reloads, I was shooting my load workups to find the sweet spot.

In case anyone is interested it turned out my lightest charge produced the best results for target loads. I'll share my recipe:

Bullets: Berry's 100gr, Copper Plated, Round Nose Hollow Base
    Powder: Hodgdon's Titegroup
    Charge: 2.4gr
    Primer: CCI 500 Small Pistol
    Brass: Mixed

Results: 5 round groups at 10' resting my hands holding the pistol on a sandbag, best group was under 1" @ .761"!! (1.116 CTC adjusted for .355 dia)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Packer

Packer Banned

May 14, 2005
    Nice shooting!

Packer.