1st Generation upgrades?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by RutNut, Dec 11, 2009.

1. RutNut

RutNut New Member

Oct 30, 2009
    I have a first generation P3AT (actually, it was one of the first 300 made). I have noticed while watching some videos and looking at some pictures of the new ones, that there seem to be several modifications made since mine was made.

Can someone tell me exactly how many things have changed and what they are?

And if I can send it back to Kel-Tec to have it "updated" and how much that would cost?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    take a browse through the FAQ/VIP sticky

there is a link to a post 1st v 2nd P3AT

If there is nothing broken, KT will not upgrade it.  However if you have a problem, they can not fix a 1G, they stamp a 2G with your serial number.

Before sending it to KT, I would highly recomend selling it or seeing if some one would trade since a few find the 1G a more desirable pistol

3. RutNut

RutNut New Member

Oct 30, 2009
    SO you are saying that if I have a problem, they will give me a new 2nd generation P3AT and just put my serial number on it, rather than fix the old 1st generation?

If so, that is all I need to know. I am very satisfied with the pistol so far, so I do not feel it needs to be upgraded, unless something goes wrong with it.

Thanks for the links- I will check them out!

4. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Almost all internal parts are the same for both generations.  A 1st gen gun sent in for warranty repair may or may not be replaced depending on the issue and whether or not they have the required parts on hand.  For a while, I think they were still making the (different) 1st gen parts in occassional batches to be used for warranty repairs.  I'm not sure if they have completely stopped that practice or not.  Maybe they have totally stopped making those parts - maybe they make a batch when they have time, I don't know.  I am betting their equipment doesn't get much down time during working hours.

5. Little_Z28

Little_Z28 New Member

Jun 24, 2009
    I wouldn't worry about upgrading anything that isn't broken. Keltec will keep you a P3AT working for a long time. Even if they do eventually swap it out with a newer one........

6. RutNut

RutNut New Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Yeah, that's what I am thinking. "if it ain't broke, why ;) fix it!"

7. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    And remember that first gen P3At is lighter & thinner (less volume) than the second gen. ;)

8. JB

JB Guest

When I called KT customer service the other day to check on my P11, I also asked about my first gen P3AT.  I actually think that the chamber may be out of spec and hoped KT would send me a new barrel (I was even willing to buy a new barrel if necessary, depending on the price.)  I was told that I would have to send it in as they no longer have barrels or slides for the 1st gens (I thought the barrels were pretty much the same except for slight changes to the feed ramp???)  Also, she said that there are several 'upgrades' that need to be done for a 1st gen and I got the impression that I would more than likely simply be getting a second gen replacement if I send it in.  I kind of hate to because I like the look of the first gen but with this one it seems like I straighten one functionality problem out only to have another one sometime down the road.  I bought it NIB to carry but since I didn't get my permit until last year I never messed with it much until then - and have had a series of troubles with it.  To be perfectly honest, I am getting to the point that it is hard to be confident in it even when it is working right.  In fact, as it sits I wouldn't trade it or sell it because I wouldn't feel right foisting the thing off on someone else knowing it would possibly quite likely fail on them just when they need it.

9. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    Well, my 1st Gen. P-3AT is in the 20xx serial number range and has always worked fine.

10. RutNut

RutNut New Member

Oct 30, 2009
    I didn;t realize that! How much lighter and thinner is it?

11. rhinokrk

rhinokrk New Member

Feb 20, 2008
    Don't upgrade, sell it to me. The FG AT is 1.4 oz lighter if I remember right + a lot sexier w/better sights. YMMV

12. RutNut

RutNut New Member

Oct 30, 2009
    How 'bout a trade? A new P3AT and a new PF9............... for a "vintage" P3AT(serial # 002xx)?! ;)