1st generation 3AT problem

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by John Belardo, Jul 15, 2020.

1. John Belardo

John Belardo Member

Nov 21, 2018
    I am a retired police officer and I carry a 1st Gen. 3AT every day. Each year I must qualify on the range for my HR218 certification. I have used my 3AT each year with no problem. This year I hardly got through the course. The problem is, I pull the trigger and the hammer goes back but does not release and fall forward to fire. I keep pulling and the hammer just goes back and forth with the trigger. I'm loosing confidence. Any one else have this problem?

2. Yankee_Rebel

Yankee_Rebel Active Member

Apr 6, 2020
    Maybe your trigger is loose. It is plastic and if there is a crack or wear where the trigger pin goes through the trigger the trigger may hit the frame before the hammer is released.

3. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Sounds like the trigger pin backed out a little. It was a fairly common issue on 1st gen guns and even into 2nd gen ones before (I think) they made some design change. If so, it's an easy fix requiring no disassembly. It's the black plastic pin going up thru the trigger on the back side. It should be tapped pretty far up inside where you can just see the end. If you can see much of it, it probably backed out.

Here's an article:

http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/triggerpin.htm

If it isn't that, perhaps the trigger bar is worn or for some reason, not making the full forward movement. Could possibly be a shot hammer spring to.

If you can't figure it out, send it in for service. Most of the internal parts for the 1st and 2nd gen gus are the same. As long as you don`t need a slide, barrel, or grip, they can fix it. If they can`t, they would replace it with a new gun. They stand by their lifetime warranty.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    Yankee_Rebel likes this.
  4. Jim G

Jim G Member

Aug 13, 2020
    I just became the owner of a circa 2009 P3AT given to me by my dad. I haven't taken it out to the range yet, but I did fire the exact same pistol in 2010 as a brand new shooter. I am noticing the very same issue as I was refamiliarizing myself with it. Here is what I've noticed so far:

• When I put a "death grip" on the pistol, get a full "Pat Mac" finger on the trigger, and give a deliberate squeeze on the trigger, the hammer cycles all the way back, releases and catches back in the cocked position.

I field stripped the pistol:

• With the slide removed I can achieve the same result by applying pressure to the top of the hammer as I am pulling the trigger to where the hammer releases and keeping my thumb over the hammer and against the frame. The trigger makes a kind of half-click like a reset sound. Riding the hammer, it comes back to the cocked position on the block.

I know riding the hammer as such is not the way the action was intended to work, but in a high-stress deployment a tight grip on the pistol would not be unreasonable. I always try to "sink more finger" on the trigger. Perhaps this might give some insight as to what may be happening during the process.