1st gen P3AT Disappointment

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by zeke, Mar 20, 2008.

1. zeke

zeke New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Went to the gun shop today to see what they had around. They had a 1 Gen P3AT in with the other KT's. I had to check it out. I field stripped it on the counter, it had a good bit of lint inside and some wear on the frame but didn't look like it had a lot of rounds through it. Slide shows wear from being carried and the barrel is going to need shined up. Came with 2 mags, and they show signs of being hit by the ramp of the barrel.

Loaded up six mag, for a little range trip out back. 4 plain mags and 2 with the Bersa extension. Shooting from about 7 yards at an 8 x 11 target I only cut paper once in the first mag. Since this was a function test I'm not to worried about that. The next five mags I did hit the target more often. Some rounds seemed right on POA while others were low. Not much in the way of sights but that's just another reason to shoot more.

Here's the disappointing part. NO Failures of any kind, not one FTE, or FTF. >:(

A project gun that functions perfectly doesn't leave much to tinker with. ;) Weather it needs it or not it's getting tinkered with even if it's only cosmetic.

2. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Dang it Zeke. I was all set to offer you a straight up swap for a 2G in perfect running condition. Here you go & burst my bubble. :(

Good score, & if you do get tired of that obsolete, out of production pistol keep my offer in mind, I am serious. For some reason I think I'd like a 1G.

3. forestranger

forestranger Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2008
    NC
    After following all the "polishing up" and ramp recommendations on KTOG, my first gen(2+yrs) hasn't missed a beat. Since I know how to shoot em and work on em, I may buy several of these "trade ins" I've been hearing about? Ain't seen any yet! ;D

4. zeke

zeke New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    I have a 1 Gen P32 that was feeling out of place, since she didn't look like the other P3's, so I had to get a sibling that resembled the P32.

Today is the first used 1 Gen P3AT that I've seen, I have been able to find some of the other KT's at some good prices. I do try to stop by the gun shop a couple of times a month, just to see what they have in there.

5. sprinter1

sprinter1 New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    I like project guns, haven't found one yet that doesn't work with just a little bit of love ;D

6. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    A guy at a local gun shop a while back had a 1st gen P3AT. He wanted $175 for the gun and 2 mags. He said it had never missed a beat. I passed. What's the fun in that? ;D

7. artimus_prime

artimus_prime New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Central FL
    Aw man! If I'd have known you wanted a project P3, I would have traded you back in the day. Your working P3 for my paperweight! Not much of a trade now, mine's doing fine. ;)