1st gen p-3at jamming

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by cowentz, Aug 27, 2010.

1. cowentz

cowentz New Member

Aug 27, 2010
    Hi I am new to the forum. I just received a 1st gen p-3at as a trade. Today was the first day I got to shoot it. I like the gun but had at least 1 jam per mag. It would fail to eject the spent casing (still in the chamber) and the next round would jam into it. The spent casing would have a nick in it but would not eject. Ammo was federal american eagle. Is there anything I should check or look into. Guy said it had about 400 rounds through it.

2. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
    Extractor, extractor spring, and roll pin, if Kel-Tec still has any of those parts for first-gen P-3ATs. Also, make certain it's not only happening on one or two brands of ammo; try some others.

This is meant as no attack on your manhood, but be certain you aren't limp wristing it. That article is OK on describing the phenomenon, but it's not so much a matter of how tightly you grip the pistol as how firmly your wrist is locked and not able to rotate/flex with the recoil. There is very little slide mass on P-3ATs (and even less on first generation ones). The recoil impulse should push backwards into your body as much as possible, and upwards as little as possible.

3. cowentz

cowentz New Member

Aug 27, 2010
    Next time I take it out, I want to give it a good cleaning, try a different ammo, and also try the other mag I got with it which has the finger extension. I have heard of limp wristing. But I figured if it was that the casing would come out but get jammed on the return of the slide. On mine the casing is still in the barrel

4. rhinokrk

rhinokrk New Member

Feb 20, 2008
    Be sure to lube wet, these small buggers need a bit more than larger pistols.

5. PF9Newbie

PF9Newbie New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Sounds like the extractor is a bit worn (I assume it is well used, being you got it on a trade) or perhaps it is just a bit dirty and crudded up. Check the extractor carefully, and clean it well, especially getting off any built up carbon and dirt. Then if it still has extraction problems, check the spring tension and be sure that is okay. You may likely need a new extractor and spring, which you can get from Kel Tec with a quick phone call. Easy to replace.

Jim R

6. Seahawk60

Seahawk60 New Member

Aug 30, 2010
    Before futzing with it, I'd recommend sending it back and asking them to replace it with a new 2nd generation P3AT.  They'll stamp your old serial number on the new one and destroy the old one.  They did it for me with an old problematic 1st generation one and I was not the original owner, either.  It's been a long time since 1st generation P3ATs were made, so I'd imagine spare parts are getting pretty few and far between.  Probably easier for them just to swap it out with a 2nd generation pistol which, in my opinion, is the better of the two designs anyway.

7. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    The first generation P-32 extractors work best in the first generation P-3AT. I believe P-32s went through several types of extractors, with the last being a "broad-head" design that gives more gripping area on the shell casing.

Link http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1145152844/2 Explains 1st Gen. extractors, with pics.

Hopefully, I will be picking some up tomorrow at the "Mothership".

Edited to add link

8. Seahawk60

Seahawk60 New Member

Aug 30, 2010
    Definitely.  A few ejector designs as well.

edited to add: Extractor and ejector designs for the 1st gen P3AT, not P32.

9. abuck50

abuck50 New Member

Aug 21, 2008
    NW Ohio
    Make sure the extractor screw is not loose!

10. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    That only applies to Gen. II P-3ATs and P-32s.

11. cowentz

cowentz New Member

Aug 27, 2010
    I contacted Kel Tec, and they sent me a new extractor, spring, and ejector. I just put the new spring and extractor in today (didn't replace the ejector because I think it was the wrong one). I just went out and fired 3 different types of ammo (including the left over rounds from the first time out) with no malfunctions. I did catch one spent casing to the forehead though. Thanks

12. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    I seem to remember reading about a design change in the ejector, doesn't look the same as the old one...but it fits and works.

Am I remembering wrong?

13. Seahawk60

Seahawk60 New Member

Aug 30, 2010
    If it's the flat ejector that sits in the notch flush with the left rail, it's the right one. I might be wrong, but I don't think there was ever more than one design for the 2nd gen P3AT. The 1st Gen P3AT started out with an elevated ejector, then went to the flush one. The 2nd gen just carried that on....

14. cowentz

cowentz New Member

Aug 27, 2010
    the new one they sent sits flush, the one that is currently in it is elevated with a point on the front. So the new one they sent is ok to use also?

15. Seahawk60

Seahawk60 New Member

Aug 30, 2010
    As long as it racks/hand cycles fine with no binding or dragging, I'd try it out.  I wouldn't waste time burning ammo, though, if it started malfunctioning in the first mag or two, but the flush fit ejector is tried and true and should work fine.  Personally, I'd just stick with that one.  Kel-Tec went away from the "elevated point" extractor many years ago...for a reason...  Maybe it was easier to machine or it just plain worked better.  Who knows...  The flush ones work fine for me.