1st Gen Mods?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Motor56, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Motor56

Motor56 New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Hey everyone I'm the noob!

I've had a 1st gen P3AT for about 2 years but just started carrying it as a backup. I put 50 rounds through it without any problems so far but want to make it as reliable as possible. I've been reading on here for several days now and just joined. There was so much info I couldn't retain it all!

So what are the #1 mods you think I should do to make sure this thing runs good. Other than shooting it that is!

I believe I'm going to send the slide off to get nickeled. I would like better sights also but not sure what there is out there.

Thanks.

2. gpr

gpr New Member

Jan 6, 2005
    north palm beach
    polish the feed ramp/chamber....shoot it till your comfortable with no jams or other issues...last plate the slide...then paint your sites, do a seach here, there are a lot of was to go...me...testers white enamel...then you are good to go....gpr

3. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
  4. Connection

Connection New Member

Jun 27, 2007
    I'd did the "rampectomy" on my first gen because of the smiley problem. I really didn't care so much about the smilies on the bullets, but what ****ed me off was the battering of the followers which resulted in my mags cracking at the top/rear on either side. I also did the hood mod, which improved ejection reliability as well as polishing the feed ramp. To KT's credit, they replaced all of my cracked mags and even threw in an extra one for my troubles. :)

5. Packer

Packer Banned

May 14, 2005
      There were two factory mods which improved reliability of the FG model:

1. New ejector. Old ejector was tall. New ejector is flush with frame top and is still used in 2G model.

2. P32 extractor. The P32 extractor has a little added tab on the bottom that enabled better extraction and fewer FTE's.

If your ejector (Part 115) sticks up higher than frame, or if your extractor does not have the extra "hook" on the bottom, then order replacemt(s) from KT service: 1-800-515-9983.

You must EXPRESSLY ask for the FG P32 extractor with the extra downward hook, or you might get the other kind.

Packer.

6. Connection

Connection New Member

Jun 27, 2007
    Yup, I did the same. Forgot about installing the updated ejector and extractor. That 1st gen design was a PAIN to change extractors with that roll pin. I like the new design better, especially since the hex bolts are now hardened and will not strip as easily as before...

7. Powerkicker

Powerkicker New Member

May 31, 2007
    My G1 ran flawlessly after a chamber polish and a rampectomy. I see no need for further tinkering. I bet my life on this gun every day.