1st Gen 3AT - too late?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by armybrat, Jan 13, 2009.

1. armybrat

armybrat New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Bought my 1st Generation P3AT (#HOY**) new several years ago.

Took it out to the ranch to warm it up, but couldn't get through a couple dozen rounds without it jamming on every other shot. My brother (a former competition shooter) tried a couple of mags full and the same thing happened to him.
    I was so ticked about this that the gun was just cleaned & put into the safe where it's resided in obscurity ever since on a back shelf.

Anyway, after finding this board a couple of years ago I read about the F&B thing, but I have no Dremel tool nor am mechanically competent. Heck, I even pay to have the car's oil changed these days.  :-? I just shoot & clean guns, not fix them.

My question is this: Is it too late to send the weapon back to KelTec for warranty factory modifications and if not, what's the procedure for doing this?

My P32 has performed without problems with 300-350 rounds through it, so please don't label me a KT hater. Carry the little mousegun all the time in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster. (I did just buy a Ruger LCP though).

And no, none of you guys can have the P3AT....I NEVER sell my guns, lemons or not.  :p  ;)

Thanks in advance for any replies.

2. mcogs20

mcogs20 New Member

Aug 10, 2008
    Don't know what you might have tried originally, but I always try different brands of ammo or a different magazine if I have functioning problems with my semi-autos. I'd try that before alterations or return for service, if you haven't tried already.

3. devicemanager

devicemanager New Member

Dec 11, 2008
    First I'd recommend you try different ammo if you haven't done so already. If that's not an option then the gun has a lifetime warranty so phone Kel-Tec and see what they have to say. Be sure to make a list of all the issues and include it with the gun.

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    First Welcome to KTOG

next, are you sure it is a first generation, My HHS** predates yours and mine is a 2G (however this is the period of the change over)

Now, the only factory modification could be the new trigger block. Since there was no real problem with the original, installing the new would not be warranty.

The warranty is LIFETIME. Thus if it don't feed and function, it needs factory investagation and repair. Their repair could be as little as polishing a little, swapping barrel, up to stamping your serial number on a new gun. So if It don't function, box it up, send it back and see what you get back

5. armybrat

armybrat New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Was using WWB.

Never have had any issues with that brand of ammo in my Kahr PM9, SA GI .45, or KT P32.

6. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Too late to get warranty work - nope. But it MIGHT be too late to keep it a first gen. If you send it back to them it will likely be returned to you as a 2nd gen. Many people seem to prefer the first gen so I would do a little work on it yourself (or have a friend?) before thinking about sending it back. You can always do that later if you need to but once it goes back it might be too late to keep what you have.

-Scott

7. armybrat

armybrat New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    First Welcome to KTOG

next, are you sure it is a first generation, My HHS** predates yours and mine is a 2G (however this is the period of the change over)

Now, the only factory modification could be the new trigger block.  Since there was no real problem with the original, installing the new would not be warranty.

The warranty is LIFETIME.  Thus if it don't feed and function, it needs factory investagation and repair.  Their repair could be as little as polishing a little, swapping barrel, up to stamping your serial number on a new gun.  So if It don't function, box it up, send it back and see what you get back
    [/quote]

Oh, it's a 1st generation alright. Looks just like the ones in the photos posted on this forum. Besides, I bought it about 3 months after they first came out.....don't remember what year.

Is there some kind of desirability to keep them in 1st generation configuration?

8. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    First Gens HATE Winchester White Box!  Try Remington/UMC or MagTech, and you will be a lot happier.

If that doesn't work, your pistol just needs to be tuned up a bit - no need to send it to Cocoa. Ask for instructions here.

First Gens are awesome once you get them 100%.  23+% lighter than a Ruger LCP!

9. PF9Newbie

PF9Newbie New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I too have a first generation P-3AT. It has been and is, dead reliable with most brands of ammo, but like all of these little guns, there are brands that they just don't seem to like. Many ATs don't apparently like WWB, but will feed most others. Most PF-9s on the other hand, seem to like WWB. So just because of particular brand will work in your other guns, does not mean they will work well in the P-3AT. Try some others to see if that will cure your problems. I ran mine for a couple years just as it came from the box until I found the KTOG and learned about fluff and buff, and other minor things I could do to improve the little gun without needing a degree in gunsmithing. Great group of people, always ready and willing to help with any problem.

10. carmike442

carmike442 New Member

Sep 14, 2004
    Definately try different kinds of ammo before sending it to KT. What have you tried so far? My 1st gen actually loves WWB. It's all I've used for practice for over 5 years now except for a occasional box of Remington. I sent mine back last year when the hammer block pin walked out while at the range. I asked them to send me a new grip with hammer block installed, but he said they would like to check it out due to it's age. All they did was send it back with a new grip. Same thing I could have done in 10 minutes instead of giving it up for 6 weeks.

11. tallpines

tallpines New Member

Jan 8, 2009
    I'd just send it back and ask for a brand new 2nd gen replacement with the new hammer block, which is a GREAT modification. I just did this with an old hard chrome 1st gen last November. Both Kel-Tec and I had been 'round and 'round with that one and it was never reliable. Bought a 2nd gen P3AT after that and never really thought about the old, unreliable 1st gen one. Sat in the safe for years until I re-discovered it and thought, "what the heck...let's see if Kel-Tec will replace it." They did and that new P3AT ran like a champ over the several hundred mixed rounds through it over Christmas. :cool: