1st field strip .. problem

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by AlPackin, Sep 8, 2007.

1. AlPackin

AlPackin New Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Hi all. I just bought a new P3-AT yesterday. I figured I'd see how to field strip it and lube it a bit. I can't seem to get the slide back on. It stops about 1/8" from fully on. I don't want to force it. I thought that maybe I had the ejector installed incorrectly but that's not the case, the slide doesn't move any farther even with the ejector removed. HELP! :-[

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    The hammer may be down.

take thumb and "c0ck" hammer back and try

3. AlPackin

AlPackin New Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Yep that's it! The hammer was down. My only other experience with pistols is with my Glock that doesn't have a hammer. Thank you for the help!

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    welcome to KTOG.

post back about your range trip ;)

5. AlPackin

AlPackin New Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Thanks! I sure will. I can't wait to shoot this little guy, it's been in my pocket since I got it. :)

6. Packer

Packer Banned

May 14, 2005
      Hi AlPackin. Welcome to KTOG!

Two differences between this pistol and your Glock:

1. It likes LOTS of lube.

2. You MUST allow the trigger to go ALL the way forward after each shot--Or you will experience light-primer-strike misfires.

Also, this gun is so light that it is critical that you keep a very stiff wrist or you will see all kinds of malfuctions. Here are some tips for that:

Tips for locking your wrist:

TWO HANDED:

1. Place strong hand on grip with finger alongside trigger guard.  
    2. Cup weak hand as if you were going to drink water from it.  
    3. Rotate weak hand 45 degrees toward your body.  
    4. Place palm against front of strong hand fingers, with thumbs nearly parallel.  
    5. Line up on target and push forward with strong hand while pulling back with weak hand.  
      This will lock your wrist and prevent limp wristing.

If you have malfunctions while firmly using this grip--Then it's the gun.

SINGLE HAND GRIP:  

1. Line up on target.  
    2. strain hand forward as if you were trying to get the gun closer to the target.

SHOOTING FROM THE HIP

To shoot from close in with one hand, do the same straining forward, but lock your elbow so the hand can't actually GET forward. This works from 90 degrees or even from the hip--By tensing your arm muscles. You should practice both.

Packer.

7. AlPackin

AlPackin New Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Packer
    I've read that most complaints about KT's are actually caused by "operator error" (limp wristing). I'll work hard at my grip, I really want to be successful at shooting it. I know where to come for help if and when I need it and I won't blame the gun first. The Glock likes to be "dry", the KT seems to like being "wet". Wet is what my old time gun instinct tells me is good so I think I'll be good with that.
    Thanks
    Al

8. Packer

Packer Banned

May 14, 2005
    You're a good man Al. Rember to let the trigger go all the way forward and you'll do fine. Oh yeah, get a grip extension. I prefer the KT +1.

Packer.