Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just obtained this 1988 taurus model 66 357 revolver. I haven't shot it yet, but bought the ammo tonight. The chambers and bore or in very good condition and the gun is nice and tight and alignment is well and everything is fully functional from what i can tell. But the surface finish is messed up and has very very light pitting. It isn't effecting operation since the guy I got it from shot it for a while yesterday without issue. It's just more of a bother to me personally and I want to know how much I could expect to pay for this to be fixed or the cost to do it myself. Thanks in advanced for any help.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
I deliver mail to a gunsmith that works out of his garage...When he does rebluing jobs, he waits until he has a few....I don't know what's involved but I know when he does it because the cleaning prep stuff is set up outside. I assume it's a hot tank/chemical bath. I like that model 66... I picked up a Rossi .357 at a decent price since I couldn't find a Taurus local. I'd like to find a 7 shot 4" barrel .357 for my glove box.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I deliver mail to a gunsmith that works out of his garage...When he does rebluing jobs, he waits until he has a few....I don't know what's involved but I know when he does it because the cleaning prep stuff is set up outside. I assume it's a hot tank/chemical bath. I like that model 66... I picked up a Rossi .357 at a decent price since I couldn't find a Taurus local. I'd like to find a 7 shot 4" barrel .357 for my glove box.
That's pretty neat he does that. And thank you. The guy I got it from wanted my pf9 for it, so I was hesitant. But after I held it and checked it out, I couldn't pass up the offer. He even gave me $60 cash with it. But you also can't go wrong with a Rossi either. I haven't owned one, but the one I shot was a dream.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Yep, the newer Taurus 66 is a 7 shot. The older ones were 6 shot. Just mentioning that in case you go looking for one and didn't know so you wouldn't be confused.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I just obtained this 1988 taurus model 66 357 revolver. I haven't shot it yet, but bought the ammo tonight. The chambers and bore or in very good condition and the gun is nice and tight and alignment is well and everything is fully functional from what i can tell. But the surface finish is messed up and has very very light pitting. It isn't effecting operation since the guy I got it from shot it for a while yesterday without issue. It's just more of a bother to me personally and I want to know how much I could expect to pay for this to be fixed or the cost to do it myself. Thanks in advanced for any help.
Can't help on the refinishing but I had a Taurus 66 (mine was stainless, though) and can say that they are good shooters. Mine was also a late '80s model (looked up the year by the serial number) but looked brand new when I bought it back around 2010 or so. I think part of the reason it looked so new, and why it hadn't been shot much, was because ejecting the rounds was difficult. Inspecting the casings, I found that one casing had a scratch. Tracked it down to be a tiny (smaller than a grain of sand) burr on one chamber mouth. Unfired rounds slid in easily but fired, expanded casings were hanging on the burr. I say 'burr' but it was more a tiny, little bump on the metal, didn't really look so much like a machining burr but maybe it was. At any rate, I am almost 100% sure it had been there from the factory and the previous owner(s) just hadn't figured out why it was so difficult to eject. Anyhow, I wrapped some fairly fine sandpaper around a pencil and, in just a few minutes, hand sanded/polished the burr smooth. No problem after than and it really was a nice shooter. I ended up trading it for a Ruger GP100 because the LGS had a used GP100 and a GP100 was what I really wanted - kind of a 'grail gun', I guess you could say, not because anything was wrong with the Taurus. I even had a FOBUS holster for the Taurus (I think it was the same holster that fits a Smith and Wesson Model 66) even though I didn't really carry it all that much. The only 'problem' I had with mine that I might caution you about is that the ejection rod liked to work loose, sometimes, so I had to periodically screw/tighten it back down. I guess some LocTite would have solved the issue but it never got bad enough that it bothered me so much that I remembered to do it.

I never put any 'hot' loads through it but did test it out with a few of the Buffalo Bore 180 grain hard cast loads that are supposed to be 'standard pressure bear defense' loads for .357. It worked fine with those. The recoil was more 'noticeable' with them than lighter loads but not bad.

This was the Taurus 66 at the LGS when I bought it just to give you some idea of what a stainless version looks like in case you wanted to go with that look if you do a Duracoat refinish. I am pretty sure those were the original, factory grips - it looks like yours is wearing a set of Pachmayrs, probably aftermarket - I like Pachmayr grips a lot. This one also had adjustable rear sights. Man, my old cell phone took pretty crappy pictures:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.