Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, my letter came from Colt this week. Unfortunately, they were unable to confirm what I was originally told that it was carried in WWI. But here's what the research does yield:

"C4 was made on March 9, 1912. It was shipped to Albert Foster, Jr., at Colt's New York office on July 5, 1912. It was then bought by Albert Foster, Jr., on January 5, 1931."

Ironically, when I first posted the purchase of this gun a few months ago, banned member Mickey poo-pooed everything about my gun. He specifically stated that he knew my gun had not sat on a shelf for decades until it was later turned into a National Match gun despite my being told by Colt that it was one of the first National Match guns produced by Colt. Well, Colt was right. My gun sat on a shelf from January 5, 1912, to January 5, 1931, when Colt's New York agent, Albert Foster, Jr., bought it from Colt himself! That's right; she sat on a shelf in Colt's New York office for exactly 19 years before it was sold to Mr. Albert Foster, Jr, the director of Colt's Patent Fire-Arms Manufacturing Company's New York Office.

As it turned out, the first National Match 1911's were made in 1933 from both Commercial Government Models and former Military Government Models. My gun was rebuilt at least once during that period. I don't if the original commercial slide was replaced at that time with the 1911A1 slide I found it with or not or if Albert Foster is the one that bobbed the hammer. Sadly, we will never know the full story. However, it is nice to be somewhat vindicated by Colt proving Mickey was at least wrong about a few things such as it spending 2 decades on a shelf at Colt!

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Since we last spoke, I have changed out the slide with a vintage Model 1911 US Army slide. It is of the correct Era and is one of the first 20,000 slides made for the military. It is not a commercial slide from that Era though. If I every find one, I'll buy it. If not, I'm happy to have it as close to the original slide as possible.

As the photos show, I have not restored the gun fully. Instead I've set it up to my preferences including modern thin grips, vintage replacement sights, and Pearce rubber finger inserts. I am looking for a usable Era accurate two-tone magazine with a lanyard loop. The two-tone one I have is cracked and unusable. I would at least like to have a vintage one that I could use of I wanted.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.