Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought some buffalo bore 255gr hardcast ammo for my para expert 1911 and I just chambered a round to check if it feeds right and it chambers with no problem but when I drop the mag and pull the slide back to clear the gun its pretty tight almost stuck in the chamber but with a good pull it will clear and when I chamber any 230gr its very smooth on chambering and clearing is it safe to fire this ammo???

·
Registered
26 Posts
Are there any markings on the edge of the lead bullet in case it was already touching your rifling?

I'd say take your barrel out of the gun and test it out by dropping both a regular round and a buffalo round. If the buffalo doesn't drop all the way into the chamber like the jacketed bullet, don't use it. It might be that the bullet is a slightly larger diameter compared to the jacked bullets you normally use. Since it is still a lead projectile, it should have a diameter of around .452" versus the jacketed bullets at .451". This might be enough to make a tighter seal compared to your regular ammo.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
I wouldn't. Its going to be a double pressure spike (one for being BB hot loads, and one for being a tight chamber). It probably won't damage the gun but it will put extra wear and tear on it in a hurry. If the slide cant close the gun won't fire, so that's safe enough. Paras are pretty tough (some models are unreliable, but they are generally good steel). So what you are really talking about is that pressure spike beating the slide too hard as your most likely result.

I have a couple of euro 9mm that can't take some of the larger 9mm ammo, it bites into the rifling too early. I just shoot smaller bullets and its fine. I shot them where they were jacked into the rifling and they were fine too, but you get aggravations... stuck bullets like you experienced, and I pulled one bullet which dumped powder in the gun and made an awful mess. Its better to just get something that fits.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.