Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased my P11 one month ago and immediately sent it to Kel-Tec for trigger problems. The trigger is harder than any weapon I have ever owned including 4 kel-tec 32, 380, PF9 and now P11, I expect it back soon.
I went on line to buy a 12 round mag and while searching I found there is a 15 round mag for the P11. I bought one and eager to try it when I get the P11 back from KT.
Anyone else have a 15 round mag? How do you like it? Performance?

Attachments

·
Administrator
31,982 Posts
First off, by design, the P11 has a heavier trigger pull than the other Kel-tecs. It is a different trigger system. They usually start around 10 - 11 pounds and improve some with rounds fired as the gun breaks in and parts wear. The other KT SD pistols have triggers in the 5 - 6 pound range. However, there is little to nothing that Kel-tec can and/or will do to improve your P11 trigger unless your gun has some actual defect, which is doubtful. My guess is you wasted your time and money sending it back.

15 round mags are typically S&W mags, or clones. Sometimes they require Wolf extra power mag springs to function well as the P11 cycles faster than the S&W for which the mags were designed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I bought a used 15round SandW mag. It worked great on rapid firing. However if I paused even a second the gun jammed. The bullets nose dove as the SandW spring just doesn't push them in the gun fast enough. So $15 for used clip and $14 to get a spring in the mail next week from wolf. Then if it works I will get the gap filler piece.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The 15-round magazine for the Smith & Wesson Model 59 pistol is what I bought for the P-11. I bought two directly from Smith & Wesson. However you will need to install a +10% Wolff spring in order to get them to feed correctly. The shorter stroke of the P-11 cycles faster than the S&W pistol and requires a stronger spring to cycle correctly.

the Kel-Tec 12-round magazine is the same length as the standard 10-round magazine, but the follower is shorter to allow for the 2 extra rounds. However, several owners have been having feed problems with the 12-round mags because the shorter follower tends to tilt and jam, so I decided not to even bother with the 12-round magazine.

Although Kel-Tec claims that the trigger pull on the P-11 is supposed to be 8.5 lbs, my P-11 was manufactured in February 2009 and the trigger pull is 10.5 lbs according to my Lyman electronic trigger pull gauge.

Kel-Tec will not lighten the trigger. You can only hope that it will get lighter after use, but Mine has not gotten any lighter in three years.

My P-11 developed a real gritty and sticky trigger when it was 3-months old and Kel-Tec fixed that, but the trigger was not any lighter when I got it back.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
You can also get the Mecgar mag for the S&W 5900. It was posted before that they may not need the 10% spring. I bought a few and they worked fine in my P11. I dont use them though because i have a 5906 and two 910's along with a S2K that takes S&W mags!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone else had experience with the keepshooting 15rd? Looking at picking one up and havent found alot of reviews on them

·
Grand Poobah
2,252 Posts
My two work just fine with Wolf 10 % extra power springs.
One 9mm and one 40 cal.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have only used S & W 59 series. I , also recommend a 10% stronger spring . I have several & all are 100% reliable AFTER changing the spring.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I use Mec-Gar model MG-SW59-15 mags in three P-11s. No problems at all, and no need for extra power springs.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have seen people needing to "slap" those 15 rounders into place which is a no no with a plastic mag catch ( all stock p11 pistols) . But as for the trigger, A trigger shoe helps immensely with reducing felt weight when pulling trigger, the paperclip mod works for reducing the pulling weight a little bit (1.25lbs MAX .75lb Realistically) snap caps and pulling the trigger , Fluff N Buff and actually shooting the gun all help a little bit, I have 1k+ through mine and have done all of the above to mine, You will get used to shooting it and you should get better with it. The best thing for me about the p11 is that when i am shooting something with a much lighter trigger pull, I am now usually much more accurate. Thanks p11:)

·
Registered
109 Posts
"Slapping" a mag in place is a bad thing to do even with a metal mag release.

Leave the silly Billy Badass moves to Hollywood and TV shows and use a little common sense and good judgement when using firearms in real life.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts

Leave the silly Billy Badass moves to Hollywood and TV shows and use a little common sense and good judgement when using firearms in real life.
I know from experience. I had the mag release on a S&W 908 break. I sent it to them and had it back real fast. I learned my lesson!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I know from experience. I had the mag release on a S&W 908 break. I sent it to them and had it back real fast. I learned my lesson!
The mag-body is hardened steel so regardless of what the release catch is made of you're hammering a sharp narrow edge of hardened steel into it.

Sliding it in with normal pressure allows the release to push out of the way under spring tension instead of being smashed upward with a hard "slap".

Yeah we've all done it trying to look "cool" but it is very hard on a pistol as some of us have learned the hard way. ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Might Hi-jack sorry. I understand a Hicap mag at the range, how many of you carry a hicap (more than a 12 round or non flush fit).

·
Registered
252 Posts

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9E-iPIi3Kk&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

I never said I slapped my mags, IMO I think the 15 rounders in question are junk, I remember when they came out and people were talking about them on here, The video above is why I would not buy one/own one, The man asked what we thought of them and I said what I thought , I did NOT say anything about me slapping anything , I was only giving the same advise that you did, with a slightly less asinine method of delivery, I also dont see how anyone slapping a magazine in a weapon in any way a " Bad judgment in using firearms"

·
Registered
23 Posts
The mag-body is hardened steel so regardless of what the release catch is made of you're hammering a sharp narrow edge of hardened steel into it.

Sliding it in with normal pressure allows the release to push out of the way under spring tension instead of being smashed upward with a hard "slap".

Yeah we've all done it trying to look "cool" but it is very hard on a pistol as some of us have learned the hard way. ;)
Doing a quick reload under stress I promise that mag is going to be slammed home very hard. I would think a broken mag catch takes time to happen, wears down, or develops a crack ect... Just one more thing to keep in mind when you are cleaning you gun. Also clearing FTF or double feeds involves tap, rack, access....while that does look "cool" it is an actual real world skill and a properly maintained pistol should stand up to it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts