Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've had some decent results with some 147 gr FMJ round-nose ammo. Everything I've tried in 147 gr HP, however, has FTF issues starting with the initial cartridge in the magazine. :confused: (It's a shame, too, because I was hoping to use the Winchester 147 gr SilverTip HP for both of my 9mm carry pistols.

I'll check my records when I get home this afternoon and give a list of what has been tested in my PF-9.

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
Some KTs have problems with the longer round, but some will eat them all day long. It really depends on your gun I guess. +P isn't recommended (don't quote me), but check the owner's manual just in case.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Out of a 4" barrel you get more energy out of a 90gr bullet than a 147gr. 392fp for the 90gr and 326fp the the 147gr bullet.

You get the most energy out of the 115gr bullet, 399fp!!!

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Yeah but GENERALLY you get better penetration with slightly less expansion with a heavier bullet. I forget who, might have been Double Tap, they used an 80gr, (might be for a .380), designed for less than max expansion, got good penetration, since it is a light weight bullet, recoil was minimal thus allowing faster follow up shots. I'd like to try it out one day when the 'gods' favor me with time and money, (oh yeah, the chronograph I want also). BTW, I shot 147gr Golden Sabers out of my gun with no issues.

·
Registered
34 Posts
anyone have luck with 147 gr ammo in thier pf9? Is it hard on the gun like plus p?
Here's a summary of my testing with 147 gr rounds:
  • Winchester 147 gr SilverTip HP - no consistent feed
  • American Eagle 147 gr FMJ FP - no consistent feed
  • Fiocchi 147 gr JHP - no consistent feed

• Fiocchi 158 gr FMJ - no problems; good feed and accuracy

I have some other rounds to try on my next trip to the range, but nothing in the 147 gr size.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
Neither of my PF9s would shoot the only 147s I've tried, Gold Dots.

They would both nose dive on the second round in the mag but the rest would feed fine.

·
Premium Member
4,727 Posts
I tried a box of Speer Lawman 147gr. JHP. The first half of the box worked well so I thought I was home free. The next time I went to the range, I had nothing but FTF out of them so I ended up putting them in another gun.

A lot of people report success with 124 gr. ammo, however.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
39 Posts
To the OP's original question: No, it will not cause any more wear and tear on your gun than standard 115gr or 124gr ammo. It's all about pressure. Check out the SAAMI website if you're bored.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My understanding is that older PF-9s wouldn't chamber 147s reliably because of a short chamber, but the barrels on newer ones are machined with a chamber that will accept the longer bullets. I don't know, however, exactly when the change took place.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
My understanding is that older PF-9s wouldn't chamber 147s reliably because of a short chamber, but the barrels on newer ones are machined with a chamber that will accept the longer bullets. I don't know, however, exactly when the change took place.
The only change I know of is actually the feed ramp, not the chamber. They changed the ramp to help it feed the 147s better. There should be some pictures around somewhere.

·
Registered
36 Posts
last week I shot about 35-40 rounds of 147. I think it was winchester.. I can't remember, friend brought them. worked very well. I was actually shooting pretty tight with it. I was shocked

yesterday I had 1 extra 147 left (same lot) and I shot it... jam. coincidence? I have no idea... I forget what kind of a jam it was.

shot speer FMJ 124 all day long though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Since I've never really understood about the pressures, etc. I usually get the 'middle' size in bullet weight, i.e. 124 gr in 9mm and 165 gr in 40 cal. I wonder if there's a good article somewhere that explains (in really simple terms) about the ballistics and performance in relation to bullet weight.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Like most things on the internet there are many articles and they don't agree with each other.

With short barrels I'm a light-and-fast guy. I want the best chance for expansion of the hollow point. That comes after reading everything I could find and using what I found to be the most believable.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts