+1 magazine ?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by jfl, Jan 1, 2010.

1. jfl

jfl New Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Now that I am more familiar with my P3AT and I have both a stock magazine and a +1, I am wondering why keep the stock mag.
    The +1 is more comfortable to shoot and, obviously, holds 1 more round.
    Is there any good reason for me not to get another mag extension and have 15 rounds available ?

Are there any documented reliability problems with the +1 ?

2. acts2florida

acts2florida New Member

Oct 17, 2009
    I use the +1 for EDC but like to have a std mag available for certain warm weather clothes. It prints less.

3. james__12345

james__12345 New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    In two words, pocket carry. Honestly though, as long as the +1 doesn't give you any problems carrying as far as printing or snagging goes then I see no reason not to get another one. Most important thing is to test them alot and make sure they work well before counting on them. Also, as easy as they go on and off if you ever decide to carry in a way that it is a problem, just switch the parts back out.

4. jfl

jfl New Member

Dec 20, 2009
    I don't really care. I live in Florida.
    I have my Glock fully exposed a few times, a couple time to PBSO deputies, no problem.
    Here the keyword is "intentional". As long as you don't expose your concealed weapon intentionally, you are fine.

5. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I use the +1 on both my LCP and P3AT. I carry both in my rear pocket from time-to-time. I've never had an issue drawing either gun from the holster in my pocket during draw practice. I don't have the +1 on any of my other mags though. No real reason why I don't. I just don't. I have one mag for each gun with a finger extension though and a few with the original base plates. The mags with the finger extensions are the same length as the mags with the +1 extensions though. I wouldn't think you'd have any issues if you did choose to put +1's on your other mags.

6. 00buckshot

00buckshot New Member

Jun 17, 2009
    I don't really care.  I live in Florida.
    I have my Glock fully exposed a few times, a couple time to PBSO deputies, no problem.
    Here the keyword is "intentional". As long as you don't expose your concealed weapon intentionally, you are fine.[/quote]

I thought that 1/2 the idea was to conceal from the bad guys, avoid printing thru the concealment.

7. billfromtx

billfromtx New Member

Sep 11, 2009
    I bought 2 of the +1's off gunbroker. after sanding both my mags to make it accept the extra round once installed, both proved unreliable and couldn't get through a full mag with out jamming...I reverted to standard issue mags and have not had any issue. Sounds like some folks are either more tolerant of luckier than I...Good luck.

8. acts2florida

acts2florida New Member

Oct 17, 2009
    I've shot more rounds thru my +1 than thru my std mag...haven't had a lick of trouble with either. No mods done. Seems some mags are pickier than others.

9. kt4me

kt4me New Member

Feb 9, 2006
    Since mags are pretty cheap I would just buy a few extended if you want but keep (at least) one standard around just in case. One example is I got a new car last year (Hyundai Sonata) and decided it would be neat to keep the P-3AT in a small holster type item inside vertically inside the center storage area just under the radio. It was easy using a velcro holster that is sold to stick inside those concealment vests and some velco tape. Attached the velcro tape to the left side of the compartment toward the back and stuck the holster to it so it stands upright but can be moved slightly to the left to allow you hand to slide over the gun.

Worked REALLY well except there is not enough height in the compartment for the grip with the extension mag in place, but with the regular mag it fits perfectly, I was glad to still have one without the extension.

10. Mohave-Tec

Mohave-Tec New Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Almost everybody that buys the little Kel Tec buys the smallest 380 in the world then does everything they can to defeat it deminutive size. What's up with that? It doesn't need lasers, rubber grips, mag extensions or anything. This little gun isn't good for anything but hiding in a pocket and shooting bad guys from -6 feet away.

11. jfl

jfl New Member

Dec 20, 2009
    That's the thing: the "s" after "bad guy".
    Pilots have a joke:"3 things useless when you fly: - altitude above you  - runway behind you   - fuel that stayed in the fuel truck."
    In the same vein, I'll say: "The only time you have too much ammo is if you are on fire"   :)
    Actually, I like the extension on the mag, even if it was not a +1; gives me a better grip.
    And it is still one of the smallest pistols around.   I believe the Rohrbaugh is smaller at $1100.00    ::)

12. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    IMO, not really.

None.  In fact the ONLY problem with the +1 extension is that they don't make one for the PF9, but that's another thread in another forum..  ;)