+1 mag extension trouble

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by 2thman, Jan 27, 2009.

1. 2thman

2thman New Member

Jan 16, 2009
    I received and installed my +1 magazine extension today. I can load 7 rounds into the mag, but it will not seat into the pistol. If I only load 6 rounds, it seats. Did I screw something up or do I just need to give the spring time to break in? 2nd gen KT P3AT.

2. devicemanager

devicemanager New Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Don't be afraid to "slap" the mag in place. Don't go overboard with force though. ;)

3. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Mine did the same thing. I has to cut 1 1/2 links off the spring, sand down the base of the follower about 1/32-1/16, and sand the sides of the follower just enough for it to move freely in the mag. Each one takes a little fitting to get it to work. Hope this helps.

4. devicemanager

devicemanager New Member

Dec 11, 2008
    It wasn't necessary to custom fit my +1 ext. For kicks and grins I'd take the mag back apart and reassemble again. Clean and lube the spring, and make sure the base attaches correctly per the installation instructions.

5. 2thman

2thman New Member

Jan 16, 2009
    Thanks. I'll give those things a try and get back to you.

6. 2thman

2thman New Member

Jan 16, 2009
    Ok. I took it apart, cleaned and lubricated the spring, reassembled. Same problem. I think I will call KT before I start cutting the spring. Any other ideas? Did I just get a bad one?

7. 2thman

2thman New Member

Jan 16, 2009
    I called Kel Tec- they recommended cutting the spring. I did that, twice. Still didn't work. They are sending me a replacement.

8. 2thman

2thman New Member

Jan 16, 2009
    Got the replacement extension in today. It worked just like it was supposed to with zero modifications. I guess it wasn't me after all. Thanks for the suggestions though.