Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Fido for short
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at a little Rossi .357 mag rifle a couple months ago, and just figgured it would be gone by now.

Well I went shopping to that pawn shop, with my friend from Fl the other day , and it was still there,
I gave in, and grabbed it out of his hands...

Yeah , I paid $199 with the hunting sling and a decent Bushnell scope.:rolleyes:

Where can you get ANY gun that shoots .357 magnum for 2 bills...

Took it home and sigted it in at 50 yards...I'm happy
It will spin 3" steel plate over the bar 2 times,
It's got power,
and never did jam.;)

Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Air gun
Firearm Gun Rifle Trigger Air gun

Also I been interested in a K98 Mauser

So we were out with the ladies doing some flea market hopping , and we walked into "Treasures and Trends"... Not a man thing .

BUT... in the back was a small gun shop, sorta. nicest guy back there.

I could not believe he had a non-scrubbed , still fully marked K98.
He wanted $550, which was a good price for that one.
Being the titewad I am, I paid $450....

He gave me 2 boxes of ammo with it, and I bought the rest he had , 180 rnds for $50.
took it home, was shooting 2" plates at 50 yards every shot , with the open sights and my lousy eyes.

I'm happy,

Gun Trigger Gun barrel Air gun Shotgun
Gun Rifle Firearm Trigger Air gun
Gun Shotgun Revolver Trigger
Muffler Cylinder

Told yall , I'd have sumpin new to shoot next year....:cool::)

Jim

·
Fido for short
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Veddy Interestik, Herr Jim!

Did you read up on what this is for?
View attachment 34037
It's ingenious!
(and it's not for the sling)
I didn't know till Wizard92 told me .
Doubt if I will ever disassemble the bolt...;)

I will probably not even shoot it much.
But it is fun. Nice thump.

Jim

Reactions: BlakeHanson

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
He wanted $550, which was a good price for that one.
Being the titewad I am, I paid $450....

...with the open sights and my lousy eyes.

Jim
Talking about being a titewad/getting great deals and then talking about poor eyesight. Are you Pancho Villa's long lost brother or something? (Speaking of which, I don't recall seeing anything from Pancho, lately - I hope he is doing okay.)

I really like the idea of that single Rossi in .357 and that Mauser is just a straight up classic. Great finds!

Reactions: phideaux

·
Fido for short
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Talking about being a titewad/getting great deals and then talking about poor eyesight. Are you Pancho Villa's long lost brother or something? (Speaking of which, I don't recall seeing anything from Pancho, lately - I hope he is doing okay
Just FYI, Pancho is doing OK,
He just had a surgery for hernia, and the mesh implant, about 2 weeks ago,
He is recovering well, but slow.

You can catch him over at sister forum Bersa.

Jim

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
nice scores...I'm hoping to find a rossi .357 lever gun in stainless with the 20" barrel one day. My search/itch for the mauser was filled by a yugo. Love that gun. congrats on the purchases

·
Super Moderator
10,101 Posts
I still need a K98 and a SMLE, but I keep buying old Swiss rifles. :D

That little Rossi is saucy! I love the KISS design and philosophy of use. Sometimes less really is more, and that's an ideal example of where Rossi excels. I'd like to see the ultramodern ultralight version of that in stainless and polymer, maybe with a fluted barrel.

As for the eyes... I wish there were some lightweight reliable inexpensive single power scopes. I guess they'd look too much like the original scopes and might not have any market appeal because they looked like old fashioned simple tubes. I often find myself wanting magnification but not wanting to add 24 ounces and $300+ to a rifle.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Talking about being a titewad/getting great deals and then talking about poor eyesight. Are you Pancho Villa's long lost brother or something? (Speaking of which, I don't recall seeing anything from Pancho, lately - I hope he is doing okay.)

I really like the idea of that single Rossi in .357 and that Mauser is just a straight up classic. Great finds!
Some of us try. I swing by pawn shops in my travels just to make sure someone didn't pawn late-grandpaw's Garand for $100 and it would be on the shelf for $250:spot:.
I spied a nickel-plated M1 carbine in a small town shop and had to have a look.
Quality Hardware receiver and Inland barrel
Text Yellow Font
1945 in unfired condition. Not an "un"-demilled ceremony rifle either:eek:.
Flipped the price-tag over...
$5000!
:wall:

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
You can own it....let your lovely bride , take you to KFC, instead of Melbourne...:gl:eek:_O
You know Tuesday night is Seniors night.;)

Jim
I could buy a few, but what's the fun in paying what something is actually worth, verses a fraction of it...hmmm?, my fellow tightwad
Line Electric blue Circle

p.s. and it's Sydney and Cairns:rolleyes:.

(sorry folks, Fido is offline. It's Tuesday night and there he goes!
------> KFC)

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
nice scores...I'm hoping to find a rossi .357 lever gun in stainless with the 20" barrel one day.
The 16" barrel model is surprisingly light so you can feel the recoil. Very compact compared to the Marlin 30-30. But the short sight radius seems to limit the accuracy without a scope.

·
Super Moderator
10,101 Posts
Gun Firearm Air gun Grass Shotgun
I'd second what guru2sum said. I have a nice little stainless lever action Rossi Rio Grande in 45-70 (my "1 from Brazil"), and there is a significant kick because it's so light. Rossi provided a very effective rubber butt pad, but fun as it is, it's not a rifle I shoot a lot.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Nice Score(s) Jim !!

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Nice! :). If I seem super jealous, it's only cause I am. I love mausers and you got a good deal on that one. The k98s are going for crazy money right now.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Nice! :). If I seem super jealous, it's only cause I am. I love mausers and you got a good deal on that one. The k98s are going for crazy money right now.
I could swear that not long ago there were crates of them everywhere and they sold for like $100
Automotive lighting Green Automotive design Motor vehicle Mode of transport
... once upon a time:rolleyes:.

I've actually shot one before. A lot like the 1903a3. 30-06, a real man's cartridge:D.

·
Fido for short
5,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I could swear that not long ago there were crates of them everywhere and they sold for like $100 View attachment 34096 ... once upon a time:rolleyes:.
View attachment 34097
I've actually shot one before. A lot like the 1903a3. 30-06, a real man's cartridge:D.

Now, it all depends on the markings.....or lack of.

I paid $99 for my Tula made Hex chamber, Mosin 91/30 ,, try finding one for that now.:eek:

Jim

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.