+1 Extension Questions

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by reitman, Nov 18, 2009.

1. reitman

reitman Member

Oct 30, 2009
    I tried searching, but the website just locks up when I click search. Probably my slow *** internet connection.

Anyways, I installed the +1 extension on my mag and found that I really have to slam the mag home to get it to stay in place. If I use less force, the mag just pops right back out.

Is this normal, or is there something I can do?

2. Moose

Moose New Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Myself and others have had the same problem.
    I took some 600 grit sand paper, placed on a flat surface, and sanded off some material until it fit better.
    Not hard to do at all.

3. reitman

reitman Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Did you just sand around the lip of the mag well?

4. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
    In order to insert into the gun properly, when fully loaded, the top round of the magazine has to be able to be depressed far enough that the primer isn't visible from the back. If it can't be, or if there are any crunching or popping noises from the mag spring when pushing it down, then you should disassemble the mag and put it back together again. The +1 extension can be finicky. Oh, and be sure the L shaped portion of the extension floorplate is outside the rear of the mag body.

5. Moose

Moose New Member

Jun 22, 2005
    No, place the +1 extension with the top facing down on the sand paper, sand until you remove enough metal that it works OK.

DO NOT sand any of the grip plastic away.

6. Moose

Moose New Member

Jun 22, 2005
    I noticed more metal above the grove on the +1, than the factory floor plate has.
    Sanded it down a bit until it fit right.

7. reitman

reitman Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Thanks for the replies. I used that website for a reference when I installed the extension. The floorplate looks to be on par with the factory floorplate, so I don't think it needs to be sanded.

I've just been inserting and dropping the mag a few times to see if some extra material needs to wear off, and it does seem to be seating a little better now.

I'm not too concerned with it since once it's secure, it's secure. It's just a matter of tugging on the mag after ramming it home to make sure it's seated correctly.

I guess we'll have to wait and see how it works once I get to the range.

8. angel71rs

angel71rs Active Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Search on this site is quirky for me too, but only if I try to do 2 searches in a row. e.g. I do a search, no results pop up or not result I'm looking for, try another search and it will just sit there, nothing happening.

I've found if I browse a thread, any thread, between searches, search works just fine when I try again. I'm using FF 3.5.3

9. reitman

reitman Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Thanks angel, I'll browse a thread between searches. It does seem like doing more than one in a row is what jacks it up.

I'm using firefox as well.

10. abuck50

abuck50 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2008
    NW Ohio
    I can't find the +1 mag extension on the Kel Tec web store. Did they discontinue it? I have one and really like it.

Craig

11. reitman

reitman Member

Oct 30, 2009
    I got mine from Cheaper Than Dirt for $15.

12. Gunbunny

Gunbunny Guest

Oct 12, 2009
    Looks like it's no longer available. Both CTD and Midway show it as out of stock, not backorderable. The KT web site doesn't show it at all.

13. Gunbunny

Gunbunny Guest

Oct 12, 2009
    +1 magazine extensions

I looked on the KT, CTD and MidwayUSA web sites for the +1 magazine extensions. None have them. They're not on the KT site, and both Midway and CTD show them as out of stock, not backorderable.

I called KT and asked for two. They have a few in stock. If you want one, you'll have to call - it sounded like there were very few left and the telephone person didn't know if or when there would be more.

14. jfl

jfl New Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Re: +1 magazine extensions

I bought one 2 weeks ago at my LGS.
    Lake Worth Guns and Ammo in Lake Worth.
    Gunstore.com has them also.

15. ryr8828

ryr8828 New Member

Dec 27, 2009
    I bought a plus 1 off of ebay. I tried to install it last night and finally decided it was junk. Hard to load, wouldn't seat, sticks outside of my pocket holster. Took it off and put it away.

Then I was tinkering early this morning putting a prs stock on my rock river 20". Got that done and decided to tackle the extension again. It went together like a dream and seated in the magwell just fine.

I'm tempted to go out and shoot it now but don't want to disturb the neighbors at 8 on Sunday morning. I just picked this pistol up Friday and still haven't shot it yet. I have 3 more magazines coming, one more plus 1 extension and one pinky extension. So I'll end up having one magazine unaltered for carry in my pocket if the others don't work out for that.

IF I feel up to it after golf and don't get all tied up in the football games I need to shoot this pistol this afternoon. I also need to sight in the red dot I put on my plr, the red dot I put on my bushy carbine, the red dot I put on my SW MP ar .22lr, and shoot the rock river to see if I like the stock I put on.

I can make myself go play golf in 40-50 degree weather with 20 mph winds but for some reason I have a hard time dragging myself outside to shoot my firearms. I plan on putting 200 rounds through the p3at before I worry about buying hollow points, then maybe 50 of those before I carry it. This will be expensive.

16. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    I'm just the opposite. I can't find any weather worth spending time out chasing a little ball. But the minute the temp hits 35, I'm thinkin' it's time to get out shooting. :)

At least things are loosening up a bit and the ammo is getting on the shelves. I just ran 100 rounds of FMJ through my new P3AT. $50 in total, but at least it was there to shoot. .380 has not been in stock in my area for quite some time.

Glad you were able to get your plus 1 installed. Funny how things like that can be stubborn one minute and totally cooperate the next. Go figure. ::)

17. ryr8828

ryr8828 New Member

Dec 27, 2009
    I have time to shoot now if it will quit raining. Golf course was closed due to standing water on the greens.