Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When did Kel-Tec start making their SU-16's with the 1:7 twist rate? I've read that they were originally 1:9 twist.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I called Kel-Tec and asked when they changed the SU-16 from a 1:9 twist to a 1:7 twist and they told me 7 or 8 years ago, so 2012 or 2013, give or take. They said they could tell more accurately if they were given a serial number, but they couldn't give me a SN range.

·
Premium Member
2,674 Posts
KT has this pattern. The first rollout of RDB was 1/9.
SIG Sauer USA did that with the 556.
This whole .223/556 thing is over blown. Of everything Ive read over the years, all it comes down to is the only reason for a 5.56 chamber is to have a throat to fit the ojive of a military specialized round like a tracer.
Instead of the .223 stamp, barrels could just have "no specialty military ammo" so we can shoot all that XM855 and 192 without worry.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The major difference seems to have more to do with chamber pressures than anything else. The military ammo/brass (LC head stamp, rated at 63,250 psi max) has thicker case walls than the non-military brass (rated at 55,000 psi max). Those max chamber pressures are from the latest Western Powders load manual.

The 5.56 chamber also has a slightly longer throat, or more "freebore".

·
Premium Member
2,674 Posts
Thoese chamber pressures are not apples to apples, they are measured by different standards. the realistic end results are comparatively similar. Any .223 chamber can easily be made to handle the range of pressures. Another thing on chamberings, there is little consistency between manufacturers, and often from manufacturers. Bottom line is as long as the bullets not unusual, it should fine.
But Im not advocating running 5.56 in .223 chambers, follow the guidance. Im just TOMA the stuff I think is the reality of it.
Just for the conversation. FWIW.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thoese chamber pressures are not apples to apples, they are measured by different standards. the realistic end results are comparatively similar. Any .223 chamber can easily be made to handle the range of pressures. Another thing on chamberings, there is little consistency between manufacturers, and often from manufacturers. Bottom line is as long as the bullets not unusual, it should fine.
But Im not advocating running 5.56 in .223 chambers, follow the guidance. Im just TOMA the stuff I think is the reality of it.
Just for the conversation. FWIW.
I agree! I was only adding to your previous post with some "observations" that I've learned in researching the subject.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Learned something I hadn't known.. So my original barrel was 1:9 but since Keltec replaced the entire barreled receiver when mine cracked I now have a 1:7.
When was that repair made to your rifle? I'll take a 1:7 over a 1:9 any day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts