I got good news today.

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Axeman, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Axeman

Axeman New Member

Oct 13, 2004
        I got good news today.

I just received email notification that my order for a set of Lee .380acp carbide reloading dies was finally shipped from Bud's Gun Shop in Lexington, KY.  (Insert big whoopee HERE.)

.380 dies have been out of stock at every source for dies that I could find locally or on the web since I decided to buy a P-3AT last month, and I can't find any factory loaded .380 ammo anywhere either. But I have a source for .355" diameter 100 grain round nose cast lead bullets, and with the dies and the cases, primers, and propellant that I already had I  will now have everything I need to roll my own. I can crank out reloads with cast lead bullets for about $11 - $12 per hundred, or with copper jacket bullets for about $13-$15 per hundred when those bullets become available again. The only fly in the ointment is the  possibility that my brand spanking new Kel-Tec won't function reliably with lead bullet reloads. But even if I get frequent malfunctions I should be able to fire enough rounds to break it in, and maybe by that time factory ammo will be easier to find. If push comes to shove I should at least be able to do all the  break-in firing  needed to get my new baby ready for daily carry loaded with the few rounds of Federal Hydroshocks I have left even if it malfunctions fairly often with the lead bullets, and I can still have some fun and become familiar with it's quirks in the process.

Color me happy.

2. jimwiggs

jimwiggs Active Member

Aug 23, 2006
    Cocoa, FL
    Re:      I got good news today.

axeman, I've been using 95 gr RN lead bullets from Space Coast Bullets for 2 years +, Never had problems feeding or barrel leading.

Since your P3 is new, break it in real good, keep it clean and lubed.

Good luck

Jim

3. fastcarsgofast

fastcarsgofast New Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Re:      I got good news today.

Glad to hear the good news.