You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of thektog.org    
KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > Other > The Counter >

Latest Goofball Gun Storage Idea: Hiding in Plain Sight

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2017, 02:36 PM   #31
JAB
Grand Poobah

Liked 380 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR37 View Post
With all of the you tube videos about hiding places and gun storage furniture, I am sure that a thief that had done his home work will be checking for "IN PLAIN SIGHT" hiding places.
Yeah, every time I see a YouTube video about 'the best places' to hide guns, cash, etc. I am like, "Oh, great - you just ruined another hiding place by telling everyone with Internet access, including burglars, about it. Great job!"

Heck, an over-achieving burglar might make a series of YouTube videos on the subject to make things easier on himself/herself.

Last edited by JAB; 05-18-2017 at 02:38 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2017, 08:05 PM   #32
CJP32
Grand Poobah

Liked 384 Times on 327 Posts
Likes Given: 6

In my experience most burglars are amateurs, I'm not saying it couldn't happen but I doubt many do any research on things like that. They may check some of the classic hiding places, like under a mattress, but I don't think they are going to check every possible hiding spot. Most of the time in my area it seems like they are on foot, they only take what they can carry in a bag.

I'm not saying there aren't smart burglars out there just that they are the exception not the rule.

Two is one and one is none.
lklawson Likes This 
Old 05-19-2017, 02:29 AM   #33
haertig
Grand Poobah

Liked 1771 Times on 1155 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I imagine that 99% of the burglars out there are dumber than rocks. That's why they have to be burglars in the first place. The 1% that are smart probably wouldn't be bothered with any house that normal people like us could afford.
People Like This 
Old 05-19-2017, 03:42 PM   #34
JAB
Grand Poobah

Liked 380 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Y'all don't get me wrong - I am not talking about 'smart' burglars doing research. I'm talking about dumb, lazy burglars sitting around watching YouTube and eating potato chips all day who just kind of stumble across one of a vast plethora of videos on 'how to stash your stuff.'

Discussing such things on this forum is probably pretty low-risk as I doubt many burglars are coming to ktog for tips. I also like YouTube and think it is a great place to learn things. It is just that I view some things that are on YouTube in sort of a similar light as I view Twitbook, etc. In the case of the latter I think about how much many of us complain about the government invading our privacy or 'Big Brother' watching our every move yet at the same time some people post their every move on Twitbook or Snapface, etc. Might as well just call Big Brother up and say, "Tell the boys to fire up the stake out van because I'm going to Walmart and then Starbucks in a few minutes."

All that said - and getting back to DW's original post - I do still like the idea of hiding things in plain sight. If nothing else, sometimes it is a necessary trade off for being able to access something quickly and without drawing too much attention. I have a few things so hidden, myself - but I make sure they are things I wouldn't miss too much if they are found. I also like the filing cabinet idea and I think that a few DIY mods and such could be made to make such a thing a good, safe place to stash a handgun or two for emergencies if nothing else.

Last edited by JAB; 05-19-2017 at 03:53 PM.

Old Today, 02:15 AM   #35
T_McD

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 15

The OP's pic reminds me of safety deposit boxes. Those would be neat to have, but I am sure those are crazy expensive

Quick Reply

Go Back   KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > Other > The Counter