You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of thektog.org    
KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > Other > The Counter >

Insert Your Own Ramble Here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2017, 11:57 PM   #12411
darkwriter77
Grand Poobah

Liked 716 Times on 582 Posts
Likes Given: 432

Okay, so my enthusiasm for the M&P 2.0 completely evaporated today when I finally got to handle one. Ugh. Totally overkill on the grip texture. Feels like I'm gripping 40-grit sandpaper wrapped over spikes or something. Seriously, it actually HURTS to grip that sucker firmly. (Again, yes, I am a weenie - we've already established this fact a long time ago. ) Everything else on it is nice, but that grip just totally kills it for me. Sure, I could wrap it with some Talon Grips, but ... why bother? My current M&P has those on it, and it feels awesome in hand. Aside from the presumably minor difference in recoil (if any) to be offered from the steel frame insert, there's not much incentive there for me to "upgrade" to the new model now ... in addition to the fact that my old .357 Sig and 9mm barrels might not work in the new 2.0 model. Guess I'll just hang onto my "old school" M&P and maybe invest in some XS Big Dot sights for it, and call it good.

Oh, and I managed a personal record time for a timing belt swap on my '96 Miata today: 3.5 hours from start to finish. Now that it's running again ... time to list the little guy for sale. Gotta use that money to pay for fixes and go-fast parts for the 'Stang and the Expedition.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2017, 07:05 PM   #12412
Fundy
Grand Poobah
KOG_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 219 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwriter77 View Post
Okay, so my enthusiasm for the M&P 2.0 completely evaporated today when I finally got to handle one. Ugh. Totally overkill on the grip texture. Feels like I'm gripping 40-grit sandpaper wrapped over spikes or something. Seriously, it actually HURTS to grip that sucker firmly.
Agreed. My old S&W M&P 9mm with Apex competition trigger with fiber optic fore and aft sights is the sweetest handling & shooting semi-auto pistol I have. My Ruger GP100 MC revolver is my second nicest shooting pistol (again with fiber optic sights fore and aft), followed by my Bersa Thunder 380, and lastly, my Ruger LCPII carry pistol (good for protection, but not too fun to shoot).

Old 01-17-2017, 08:08 PM   #12413
darkwriter77
Grand Poobah

Some brief range notes from today's range time:

1. The Performance Center Shield 9mm has only one "flaw" - the ported barrel somehow directs the sound right back at the shooter, so it's freakin' LOUD. Otherwise, though, it shoots like a dream;
2. Tried four different muzzle brakes in a row on the RAS47 (first time finally getting it out, ran flawlessly). Verrrrry slight improvement in felt recoil with the Miculek-style brake versus the AK74-style brake, but the difference between the slant brake and AK74 brake is HUGE;
3. For whatever bizarre reason, forcing myself to focus sharply upon the front sight made my groupings significantly better with the M&P40 and actually made them WORSE (wayyyyyy straight left) with the Glock 19. Seems the more I shoot the G19 anymore, the worse I get with it. Weird.
4. Still love the G40 to pieces. No complaints ... except for ammo prices.
5. The M85 NP is pretty much the same bit of fun as the M92 PAP, just with less recoil and (from what I could see) less muzzle flash. I'm horribly inaccurate with both, even at 25 yards, but they're fun, and they just plain work;
6. Sunglasses, factory sights, and an overcast sky do not go together well. Can't see diddly. Who'da thunk it?
7. Shooting with leather search gloves (it was COLD) = more comfortable shooting, but also leads to way more fumbling;
8. Debating on whether I should upgrade the triggers on my Glocks. Even the stock M&P40's trigger feels significantly better (although squishy) - really noticeable when shooting one then the other and back again. Heck, might even swap out the trigger on the M&P40 to an M&P Pro or Apex, if it'll be more like the PC Shield's trigger - that thing is niiiiiiice;
9. Something something dark side something something complete;
10. A "meh" day at the range beats an awesome day at work.

Old 01-21-2017, 07:20 PM   #12414
BlakeHanson
Grand Poobah

Liked 327 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Oops.
I forgot to get my coffee.
What's the best kind to wake up with?

Last edited by BlakeHanson; 01-21-2017 at 08:03 PM.

Old Yesterday, 05:28 AM   #12415
darkwriter77
Grand Poobah

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeHanson View Post
Oops.
I forgot to get my coffee.
What's the best kind to wake up with?
The kind that still looks good in the morning, even without makeup.
Old Today, 01:33 PM   #12416
Beastly
Grand Poobah

Liked 627 Times on 503 Posts
Likes Given: 364

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwriter77 View Post
Okay, so my enthusiasm for the M&P 2.0 completely evaporated today when I finally got to handle one. Ugh. Totally overkill on the grip texture. Feels like I'm gripping 40-grit sandpaper wrapped over spikes or something. Seriously, it actually HURTS to grip that sucker firmly. (Again, yes, I am a weenie - we've already established this fact a long time ago. ) Everything else on it is nice, but that grip just totally kills it for me. Sure, I could wrap it with some Talon Grips, but ... why bother? My current M&P has those on it, and it feels awesome in hand. Aside from the presumably minor difference in recoil (if any) to be offered from the steel frame insert, there's not much incentive there for me to "upgrade" to the new model now ... in addition to the fact that my old .357 Sig and 9mm barrels might not work in the new 2.0 model. Guess I'll just hang onto my "old school" M&P and maybe invest in some XS Big Dot sights for it, and call it good.

Oh, and I managed a personal record time for a timing belt swap on my '96 Miata today: 3.5 hours from start to finish. Now that it's running again ... time to list the little guy for sale. Gotta use that money to pay for fixes and go-fast parts for the 'Stang and the Expedition.
I felt those grips day 1 - loved them.

Grip is everything. Especially if you want to achieve a 2s bill drill, 6 shots from the draw at 7 yards in a 8" circle in 2.0s.

I do not accept ever-increasing restrictions on life and liberty in the hope of being viewed as 'reasonable'.

Quick Reply

Go Back   KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > Other > The Counter