You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of thektog.org    
KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > Other > Accessories >

Need a scope recommendation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2017, 11:25 PM   #21
Retired1
KOG_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 343

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired1 View Post
I have been holding off, waiting for my Gen 1 Red Lion fore end to sell, before I bought a set of these. I could not pass up the sale price & free shipping.

I bought a set a few minutes ago....

Thank you haertig...
Wow

Ordered yesterday - arrived today

Very impressive rings. I did not expect the high quality, waterproof, container with a fitted foam interior - also very impressive

So, here they are -

Need a scope recommendation - Accessories

The 1.5" rings give me about 1/8" clearance between the lens covers and the chassis using my 3-12x56 scope - its about as low as I can get this scope - just what I hoped for.

Here, again, is the link to the Burris site -

http://www.burrisoptics.com/mounting-systems/rings/xtr-signature-rings

and, to the MidwayUSA site -

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1548235656/burris-xtreme-tactical-signature-picatinny-style-rings-matte

Custom Sub2000 G1 9mm Glock
Lightly modified Sub2000 G2 40 S&W Glock

Last edited by Retired1; 01-26-2017 at 03:48 AM.
MarkCO Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2017, 12:28 AM   #22
haertig
Grand Poobah

Liked 1759 Times on 1148 Posts
Likes Given: 3

@Retired1 -

You mentioned you have a couple of precision rifles. Can I ask you a question on long range shooting?

My scope has a max of 21mil elevation adjustment, so that would be 10.5mil in each direction. The rifle is a .308win, and it already has a 20moa rail installed.

20moa = 5.93mils

So I will have 10.5 - 5.93 = 4.57mils adjustment one direction, and 10.5 + 5.93 =16.43mils in the other direction.

From my ballistic calculator for a "generic .308 load", it looks like .308 will drop about 10.7mils at 1000 yards (scope zeroed at 100 yards), and 15mils at 1200 yards. 1200 yards is at the max supersonic range of .308, so that would be the max range I'd ever shoot it at.

I think I should be good to go here, since I need 15mils of adjustment for max range and with that 20moa rail installed, I have 16.43mils available.

And the Burris rings allow you to add additional cant adjustment from 0 to 40moa.

Would using the 20moa rail, with the Burris rings set at zero additional be the best way to go?

I could also use the Burris rings to add or subtract 5moa to the 20moa rail (for a total equivalent of either a 15moa or 25moa rail), which would give me either:

6.1mils/14.9mils adjustment (15moa equivalent rail)
or
3.1/17.9mils adjustment (25moa equivalent rail)

My turrets travel 5mils per rotation.

Most of the time I will be shooting at 100 yards. 200-300 yards occasionally. 500 less occasionally. And rarely 1000. Probably never 1200.

I'm thinking I might want to use the Burris rings 5moa setting to give me the equivalent of a 15moa rail. That would keep my elevation turret closer to the center of it's range, which I assume might tend to be more accurately repeatable when adjusting.

What do you think?

Last edited by haertig; 01-26-2017 at 02:10 AM.

Old 01-26-2017, 01:33 AM   #23
haertig
Grand Poobah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired1 View Post
I did not expect the high quality, waterproof, container with a fitted foam interior - also very impressive
After mounting my rings, I'm going to use that little box to hold range stuff that tries to run away. Allen wrenches, Torx wrenches, screwdrivers, snapcaps, spare screws, small bottle of Loctite, etc. Might even shove a Leatherman in there too. Since Midway just put THOSE on sale with free shipping. A Rebar, for $35.64.

Every time I place an order to Midway, I get an email a day or two after with something ELSE they just put on sale that I want. As long as they keep putting these things on sale WITH FREE SHIPPING, I guess it doesn't matter how many separate orders I have to place to get all these goodies. Often times, order #1 hasn't even arrived yet and I'm already placing order #2. I usually get a two or three day turn-around on Midway orders in my neck of the woods. They ship fast!
Retired1 Likes This 
Old 01-26-2017, 01:53 AM   #24
Retired1
KOG_SUPPORTER.png

Your research looks well thought out. In my opinion, if you won't ever likely shoot at 1200 yds or even 1000, forget about it until, or if ever, that time comes. Because I shoot at closer ranges*, I had my last two receivers made with a level rail. The 20 moa bases caused me to go to the extreme reticle adjustments.

I would follow your thoughts on this plan to start -
" I'm thinking I might want to use the Burris rings 5moa setting to give me the equivalent of a 15moa rail. That would keep my elevation turret closer to the center of it's range, which I assume might tend to be more accurately repeatable when adjusting."

* = I use my precision rifles to shoot coyotes on my farm from my upstairs window. I go watch the local 1,000 yd shoots as a spectator. My local gun shop owner is a championship long range shooter. His gunsmith builds my rifles from the same parts he builds competition rifles. I am fortunate, I get them just because I can. I kill just as many coyotes with my TC in .204 Ruger, but the using the precision rifles are more mentally satisfying....

Old 01-26-2017, 02:23 AM   #25
MarkCO

Liked 47 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Send a message via MSN to MarkCO

haertig, to some degree, it depends on what optic you are talking about. Some track well through the whole range, others not as well at the extremes. I shoot LR competition and shoot game at long ranges as well. Every rifle I have set up to shoot past 600 yards has a 20 MOA rail on it. The reason we do that is to get the adjustments we normally make as close to the center (instead of the edges) of the adjustment ranges, even with high end optics. My LR optics have 26.2 mil of adjustment and I have never used more than 10 mils. BUT, I do some math to figure out where it should be with 13 mils on the turret at 300 yards and adjust my hold to make sure it tracks in case I ever need it.

For most .308s, 20 MOA and 1000 yards will be okay. But some guys are pushing to 1500 with the new Hybrids and 20 MOA won't cut it with most optics.
Retired1 Likes This 
Old 01-26-2017, 03:45 AM   #26
haertig
Grand Poobah

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCO View Post
For most .308s, 20 MOA and 1000 yards will be okay. But some guys are pushing to 1500 with the new Hybrids and 20 MOA won't cut it with most optics.
Thanks. I won't be shooting that far, but I think I have the adjustments if I were to attempt it (between rail, rings, and scope turrets). My Ruger Precision Rifle (RPR) and Vortex PST scope are probably a decent enough introduction to long range shooting, but they're not the ultimate, like you'd want for shooting out at 1500 yards! But I'm just learning long range, so these will have to do for me at the moment.

My rail is 20moa. That's what came from the factory installed on the RPR. Then the Burris rings I just bought can add, on top of that 20moa, an additional 0,5,10,15,20,25,30 or 40moa. Not that you'd need to go to that extreme. Or, I could subtract those amounts too, in case I wanted to turn my 20moa rail into the equivalent of a 15,10,5 or flat rail.

These Burris rings would be handy if you had a flat rail, doing all your canting for long range with the rings rather than the rail. They certainly seem very heavy duty. They have good reviews. But I have no personal experience with mine, seeing as how I haven't even mounted them yet. I have the rings and scope in my hot little hands, but I'm waiting to borrow my friends torque driver, so I can get everything tightened down just right.
Retired1 Likes This 
Old 01-26-2017, 04:14 AM   #27
MarkCO

I have two high end custom builds...never won a match with either. I also have RPRs in .243Win with Burris XTRII 4-20...won a few matches with that.

Take a look at the Shooting Gallery episode on the Ruger Precision Rifle...yep, that is me with my RPR. If you know how to call wind, true BC, use your solver and load precision ammo for your rig, the RPR will not be outgrown by many.

IMHO, 700 yards and out is where the rubber meets the road and the mistakes amplify. Inside 700 with even a sporter rifle, good glass and a good solver, not that rough.
Retired1 Likes This 
Old 01-26-2017, 04:43 AM   #28
Retired1
KOG_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCO View Post
Take a look at the Shooting Gallery episode on the Ruger Precision Rifle...yep, that is me with my RPR. If you know how to call wind, true BC, use your solver and load precision ammo for your rig, the RPR will not be outgrown by many.
I watched the original airing. I can't find a link to the entire program now. Do you know of one? The only link I found showed the first 3 minutes with Michael Bane shooting.

Old 01-26-2017, 12:58 PM   #29
MarkCO

I do not know of one. I am not sure what ODC is doing with their on-demand platform right now. Seems I recall them moving old shows to some new app of some sort...launching at NRA Show.

Quick Reply

Go Back   KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > Other > Accessories