You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of thektog.org    
KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > KelTec Products > PF-9 > Takedown pin coming loose during firing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2011, 12:49 AM   #1
Effigy

Default Takedown pin coming loose during firing

I've started to see a occasional problems with my PF9, which surprised me a little because it ran fine for the first ~200 shots. The perplexing one is that the takedown pin sometimes comes loose when the slide recoils, which causes it to lock back (on the pin, not the slide stop). To fix the issue I need to lock back with the slide stop, push the pin in again, then rack the slide. I'm pushing the pin in until it clicks, so I assume it's fully seated. Any idea what would be causing this?

Jim@TSS&&jej@texassportssupply.com&&www.texassportssupply.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2011, 01:09 AM   #2
RobzKT
Grand Poobah

Liked 91 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default Re: Takedown pin coming loose during firing

The far end of the pin is supposed to be a flat cut. Some have "nipples" on them, which could cause the pin to walk. If yours has a nipple, file it flat.
Hope this helps.

- - -
An Equal Opportunity Owner:
Cobra, Colt, Glock, Kel-Tec, NAA, Radom, Ruger, S&W, Springfield, Walther & Winchester

Old 06-11-2011, 01:24 AM   #3
TxCajun
Administrator
KOG_ADMIN.png

Liked 242 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Since it worked for the first 200 rounds I suspect the problem is related to the slide stop spring that engages the shelf in the assembly pin, locking it in place. Check for that: *With the pin removed, you should be able to see the spring (looks like a wire) cutting horizontally across the hole where the assmebly pin goes. *If the pin has moved out of place and is too high, it may not lock properly into the assembly pin. *With a very small screwdriver or something, carefull pull it down, slightly bending it into place if need be. *To be on the safe side, call KT on Monday and have them send you a new slide stop spring. *However, the fix I described should work, assuming that is the problem.

P32, P32NAA, P3AT, PF9, P11/40/357Sig, Sub2K9, Sub9, SU16C + More to come.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:17 AM   #4
Effigy

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll take a closer look at it tomorrow and let you know what I find.

Old 06-11-2011, 04:01 AM   #5
donde

I am having the same problem with mine. I have tried the filing the pin fix but it did not work. I will be calling KT on Monday to ask them about a fix.

Old 06-11-2011, 04:58 AM   #6
TxCajun
Administrator
KOG_ADMIN.png

A few months back, there were a few assembly pins showing up here that had a little tit (defect) somewhere on the end, left over from the machining process. Unless yours has that, there is nothing to file. Check my post above about the slide stop spring.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:29 PM   #7
NineMil

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would call KT and get a new pin (they'll send it right away for free).

This is a very dangerous situation actually, I had the head of this pin broken off by the slide coming back on a shot and it hit me on my head real hard (it put a small bump on my head). It really hit hard. It came back so fast I never saw it. If I had not been wearing eye protection and it hit my eye I would have lost the eye for sure. I can't be sure that even the eye protection would have withstood the projectile. I wouldn't take any chances with this, go with a new one.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:08 PM   #8
TxCajun
Administrator
KOG_ADMIN.png

The OP must identify the cause. A new pin will not cure the problem if it is caused by the slide stop spring being out of place and not locking in the pin.

Old 06-11-2011, 05:23 PM   #9
RobzKT
Grand Poobah

Liked 91 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Since there's only a couple things that could cause the problem and the OP wrote

Quote:
I'm pushing the pin in until it clicks, so I assume it's fully seated.
Unless what he thinks is the snapping of the pin engaging the spring is actually something else, I figured that he had already ruled out the Slide Stop Spring, which narrows it down to the nipple/tit on the end of the pin...

But as Tx wrote, if it were the pin, the OP probably wouldn't have made it through 200 problem free rounds.

If re-bending the Slide Stop Spring doesn't do it, replacing Both parts would cover the bases.
- - -
An Equal Opportunity Owner:
Cobra, Colt, Glock, Kel-Tec, NAA, Radom, Ruger, S&W, Springfield, Walther & Winchester

Old 06-11-2011, 09:19 PM   #10
Effigy

Your were right about the pin having a "nipple" on the end. I'm going to try filing that off and see if it solves the issues.

It seems like the spring is in the right position. I'll look into that more if I'm still seeing issues. Thanks for the advice!

Quick Reply

Go Back   KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > KelTec Products > PF-9