You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of thektog.org    
KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > KelTec Products > PF-9 >

Rec'd my new mag release - Updated w/range report

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2007, 09:57 AM   #1
WC145

Default Rec'd my new mag release - Updated w/range report

I bought my PF-9 on 6-30-07, didn't shoot it until 7-4 and started having mag catch/release issues after about 10 rds. by about 18 rds the mag popped out with every shot and I could pull it out by hand after it was seated without pushing the button. I emailed Kel-tec that evening and followed that with a phone call on 7-5, my new part came in the mail yesterday (7-11) and I installed it last night. I will be shooting the gun today and we'll see what happens. I'll post a back yard range report later.

Also, I ordered one of Packer's metal releases so, assuming the new plastic part works, this will only be a temporary fix until I get the metal one.
Hey Packer, I sure hope it arrives soon!! (hint, hint, wink, nudge)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2007, 11:12 PM   #2
WC145

Default Re: Rec'd my new mag release - Updated w/range rep

Okay, I checked everything over one more time, took it apart and wiped everything down then lubed it with Tetra Gun Grease and reassembled it for a backyard range trial. I ended up firing about 120 rds through it, a mix of Winchester white box 115gr ball and Remington UMC 115gr JHP.

Time to shoot!
I wasn't too confident given the first try the other day with the mag release issues. I also had 1 fail to fire on the 4th or 5th round the first time I tried it. Anyway, I loaded it up with 8rds of the ball ammo (yes, I slammed the mag home for good measure, every time) and set up at about 7 yds (and ended up working out to about 20yds through the trial). It fired and fed all 8rds without a problem. It shot a couple of inches high and a bit to the left. Then I fired 8rds of JHP without incident, they also impacted high and left. I mixed up ball and JHP for the next 8rds, no change in point of impact, no malfunctions, no problems.

I adjusted the rear sight slightly to the right and it started printing dead center but still high. I figure I'll worry about that down the road, I know where it hits now. I think that over time accuracy will improve as the gun breaks in, especially the trigger. It smoothed out considerabley in just this one session so it'll probably get better as it is shot more.

The rest of the time was spent giving it a chance to not work - I mixed ammo, fired fast and slow, one handed (strong AND weak SIDE), double and triple taps, and one or two mags as fast as I could pull the trigger. After the smoke cleared I was quite pleased - ZERO MALFUNCTIONS - nothing, zip, zilch, nada, even the mag catch/release held up. And I tried everything I could think of short of intentionally limp wristing it.

I will tell you that recoil is "brisk", it really torques to the right when fired, it was especially noticeable when shooting it one handed/weak side, I can see where that could give an inexperienced shooter some trouble. Personally, I can't wait to try some really hot stuff. I am going to install the finger rest on the magazine because I think that may make it easier to control and I have to order a couple more mags as I won't carry it without at least one spare reload.

Having said all that, I'll also say that, IMO, this is not a gun for beginners and if there are alot of less experienced people buying this gun could be one of the reasons that there are so many issues with it.

So, in the end, I'm happy. It shoots straight and runs without stopping and I can't ask for more than that for $275.

Old 07-13-2007, 02:51 PM   #3
olemissmike

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just bought one to. It was shooting to the left also but I think thats because of me getting used to the looong trigger pull. Not heavy just looong.

Anyway, mine function perfectly too. No problems. You are right about the brisk recoil. Also the grip kind of chewed up my hand around the webbing. I took Packers advice and did some sanding and it feels alot better. Will give it another try this weekend.

Proud Owner of: Kel-Tec P-3AT, PF-9, P-11,SU-16C; Colt Special Combat Government, Gold Cup, Diamondback; Walther/Umarex/Colt Rail Gun in .22 caliber; Ruger LC9s Pro; Winchester SX3; (and my first) Remington Nylon 66.

Old 07-13-2007, 03:48 PM   #4
canonsix

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Like the other guys said,recoil is brisk, and with CorBon 115DPX harder still, but still controllable.I smoothed the grips two days ago, what a difference ;D Doug

Old 07-31-2007, 08:02 PM   #5
rusty_cake_heel

Same here brother. ZERO MALFUNCTIONS; I just need a METAL MAG RELEASE.

Had FREQUENT trouble with Mag POPPING OUT while shooting. I never had this problem with my PAT-380.
I will buy a metal mag release for that one too, just in case.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:31 AM   #6
CC_Dave

Yes, the recoil is quite.... brisk... yet satisfying :P

I also smoothed the grip but then I went one step further and took one of my sons innertubes and made a custom grip from it. I took a pair of scissors, a razor knife, and some super glue and custom fit a grip sleeve. Now it is easy to hang onto and I hope that it will improve my control in recoil.

Dave- who's hoping that his son doesn't need his bike any time soon :-/

Old 08-01-2007, 07:37 PM   #7
Barnetmill

Rusty_Cake_Heel or anyone else:

Stated "I will buy a metal mag release for that one too, just in case."

Where can I buy a metal magazine release for a PF-9?

I just installed a new plastic one. The original failed after firing one magazine through the new PF-9.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:02 PM   #8
PshootR
Banned

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You need to get in touch with "TwoPistolPacker" (2PP) on this forum.http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?action=imsend;to=Packer

Old 08-02-2007, 03:14 PM   #9
Packer
Banned

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnetmill
Rusty_Cake_Heel or anyone else:

Stated "I will buy a metal mag release for that one too, just in case."

Where can I buy a metal magazine release for a PF-9? *

I just installed a new plastic one. *The original failed after firing one magazine through the new PF-9.
Please check your messages.

Packer.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:05 PM   #10
rusty_cake_heel

Could never thank you enough Pistol Packer... You have my business.

**Respect to the Man that brings Life Saving Gifts (Metal Mag Pin)

Quick Reply

Go Back   KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > KelTec Products > PF-9