You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of thektog.org    
KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > KelTec Products > PF-9 >

A question on defensive rounds and practice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2017, 02:18 PM   #41
BJK

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Dr_Don, that's nice work! I was going to suggest he do exactly what you did to test the load/bullets for expansion in water.

Full size barrels might not have problems but once a given load is fired out of a short barrel problems can exist.

I did the same thing when I swapped to a 3" 1911 years ago. It was costly to do, but a definite eye opener. Oddly enough I got really good results from some of the least likely candidates.

In 9mm I've found that the 50 to a box, 20 year old (?), plain Jane, Win' Super-X 115gr silvertips work just fine out of my M&P 9c. So cost isn't the deciding factor, design is.

JayB, I don't know anything about the PF-9 but you've been given some very good advice so far on those things in this thread that I do know about.

Particularly about IDPA/USPSA competition. It's a very inexpensive way to learn to shoot better and a great way to spend some time. Just don't confuse it with defensive "training". You'll still need that. If the gun won't hold up for a few matches I doubt I'd want to EDC it, but shooting a few competitions should sort that out for you. I don't think I'd give it a steady diet of competitions. They aren't seen in competition by serious competitors for a reason. But once in awhile would be fun. Competition will also inject a bit of stress. It's good to test your shooting with added stress. No on will care about your score other than you. All they'll care about is safe gun handling.

I think it was in this thread where someone mentioned about "hitting the paper reliably" or some such. I teach NRA Basic Pistol and unless someone just can't get the safety rules all of my students pass. I use 8" paper plates as targets and I tell them that if they can't hit the plate at 8 yards we'll move up until they can hit it. Wherever we wind up is where they can reliably defend themselves with a handgun at that moment. In time they'll get better if the dry fire a bunch and pay attention to the basics. As long as they handle the firearm safely I don't care if we have to move up to where they put the muzzle of the gun right on the plate to hit. BTW, that's never happened. Oh, I also tutor one on one and that helps a lot. I can diagnose and stop bad habits before they become a problem.

Last edited by BJK; 02-07-2017 at 02:33 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2017, 12:02 PM   #42
GLHunter

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Made it to the range twice in February due to a break in the weather. The rebuilt PF-9 functioned flawlessly with the factory Hornady CD and Federal 9BP factory ammo. But I did experience one f-to-f with my Sierra reloads, which I don't consider a big deal, because I think I limp-wristed it, which I have to be especially careful about preventing with this subcompact.

Shooting this small pistol accurately at any range requires exceptional concentration due to the rather odd DAO trigger; especially when compared to a Glock trigger, which I've become quite comfortable with.

The new barrel did cause the pistol to shoot about 1" left-of-center. So I simply readjusted the rear sight to compensate for this defect... And, no, it wasn't due to shooter error this time.

Even though the Hornady CD ammo is more expensive, I consider it to be an upgrade to the rather dated Federal 9BP, so that is what I use for carry now. I'll reserve my 9BP ammo for practice sessions.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:34 PM   #43
lorazepam

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I really like this guy's work on youtube. His testing is specifically aimed at short barreled pistols, and the best ammo to use. This video is what I use in all my pistols and PCC's.

https://youtu.be/K3VfWkWMzOI

Old 03-03-2017, 03:37 AM   #44
CJP32
Grand Poobah

Liked 370 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorazepam View Post
I really like this guy's work on youtube. His testing is specifically aimed at short barreled pistols, and the best ammo to use. This video is what I use in all my pistols and PCC's.

https://youtu.be/K3VfWkWMzOI
I totally agree, he's the most professional gel tester I've found. I watched all his 380 and 9mm videos and they really helped me decide on ammo choice. His series on the judge convinced me to buy one too.

Two is one and one is none.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:55 PM   #45
Facio

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I wish they sent shwag out with all orders considering last orders Ive made have nearly cost more to ship than the actual parts.
Last order:
guide rod $7
Front site $1
Rear site $1
Ext screw $1
Shipping $8

Quick Reply

Go Back   KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > KelTec Products > PF-9