KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > KelTec Products > PF-9 > Light primer strikes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2012, 07:05 PM   #11
PF9Newbie
Grand Poobah
KOG_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 302 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Only three real reasons for light primer strikes. Most likely is dirt, crud, etc in the firing pin channel, or possibly burrs or rough spots, or on the firing pin itself. So first remedy is to remove the firing pin, clean out the channel, and then lightly polish it, along with light polish of the firing pin to ensure no burrs. Secondly, the hammer spring could be weak or stretched, particularly if has been removed and reinstalled, etc. The third possibility is that the slide is not fully going into battery, so the barrel is not fully locked up, creating a bit of excessive headspace. This can keep the firing pn from fully reaching the primer. Again, residue, dirt, excess grease, and so forth can do this. These presuppose, of course, that it really is a "light strike", with the firing pin indentation being very light. If the indentation is deep and looks normal, then look for other causes, such as overly hard primers or bad primers (not too likely with factory ammo). Possibly the firing pin is badly off center (many are to some extent, but really extreme off center could make for poor primer ignition).

Jim R

Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2012, 04:54 AM   #12
backon4

It is a true light strike, very light dimple. I did the clean the housing and went over the firing pin to make sure there were no issues. It helped but did not solve the issue completely, 50 rounds 2 light primer strikes. Better than the every other shot but not good enough for me to trust as my carry.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:28 PM   #13
smokey45

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Although this is a <$300 pistol, this is totally unacceptable in a pistol of this type that's primary purpose is self defense. I would wager most buyers would be willing to pay the $20-$30 more that a final test firing (with the hardest primers available) and QC check might add to the price of the pistol. It would seem that this might even reduce overall production costs for KT by reducing the number returned for warranty work. It would also boost customer approval ratings off the chart. BUT------as this customer already has the pistol in-hand, seems the most likely fix is the mainspring. A new mainspring from KT may or may not be an improvement over the original. You might want to remove the spring and find one locally with a higher rate that could be adapted to the pistol. This would make the trigger pull heavier of course, but would greatly improve the provability of a bang when it's pulled. Are you listening, KT? I bet by far the majority of buyers would prefer reliable ignition over a light trigger, in a self defense pistol. I know for darn sure I would!! On the plus side out of the seven KTs (currently own 6) the only problems I've had is a walking assembly pin in my first P3AT. Replaced by the excellent CS @ KT, and a hard chromed slide for my trouble. The latest KT is a PF9, (6yrs) which has been flawless from round one with short loaded rounds. THE LEADE IS TOO SHORT in these pistols. I've got access to a chamber reamer to fix mine, but wish you guys would address this problem as well. I think Kel Tec pistols are well designed, just a few little tweaks to the manufacturing process and they'd be near ideal for their intended purpose. End Rant----!
s45

Old 09-18-2012, 08:14 PM   #14
artburg

Likes Given: 2

Mine had a issue also with light strikes,mainly S+B ammo.Keltec sent me new main spring,hammer,and firing pin.Before I had a chance to replace them it starting to function
properly,about 250-275 rds through it.Now at 560 ish it always goes bang and leaves a nice dent in primer.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:17 PM   #15
PF9Newbie
Grand Poobah
KOG_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 302 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by artburg View Post
Mine had a issue also with light strikes,mainly S+B ammo.Keltec sent me new main spring,hammer,and firing pin.Before I had a chance to replace them it starting to function
properly,about 250-275 rds through it.Now at 560 ish it always goes bang and leaves a nice dent in primer.
Sounds like, at least in your case, a slightly over strength firing pin spring may have been the source of the light strikes. As the spring began to work its way in from use, the light strikes gradually went away.

Jim R

Old 09-19-2012, 01:40 AM   #16
TxCajun
Administrator
KOG_ADMIN.png

Liked 242 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey45 View Post
Although this is a <$300 pistol, this is totally unacceptable in a pistol of this type that's primary purpose is self defense. I would wager most buyers would be willing to pay the $20-$30 more that a final test firing (with the hardest primers available) and QC check might add to the price of the pistol. It would seem that this might even reduce overall production costs for KT by reducing the number returned for warranty work. It would also boost customer approval ratings off the chart. BUT------as this customer already has the pistol in-hand, seems the most likely fix is the mainspring. A new mainspring from KT may or may not be an improvement over the original. You might want to remove the spring and find one locally with a higher rate that could be adapted to the pistol. This would make the trigger pull heavier of course, but would greatly improve the provability of a bang when it's pulled. Are you listening, KT? I bet by far the majority of buyers would prefer reliable ignition over a light trigger, in a self defense pistol. I know for darn sure I would!! On the plus side out of the seven KTs (currently own 6) the only problems I've had is a walking assembly pin in my first P3AT. Replaced by the excellent CS @ KT, and a hard chromed slide for my trouble. The latest KT is a PF9, (6yrs) which has been flawless from round one with short loaded rounds. THE LEADE IS TOO SHORT in these pistols. I've got access to a chamber reamer to fix mine, but wish you guys would address this problem as well. I think Kel Tec pistols are well designed, just a few little tweaks to the manufacturing process and they'd be near ideal for their intended purpose. End Rant----!
s45
I have to disagree with most of what you posted based on the following:
1. Light strikes are not especially common with the PF9.
2. When they do occurr, they are almost always, the result of crud in the firing pin channel, an owner maintenance issue.
3. Weakened hammer springs are practically non-existent. When they do very rarely occur, they are invariably caused by the owner over-stretching the spring when disassembling the gun - again, an owner maintenance issue.

If I had a properly cleaned and serviced PF9 that for some reason exhibited occassional light strikes with some hard primered ammo that I was dead set on using (rare indeed), I would simply clip a couple coils off the firing pin spring. The hammer block on the PF9 makes the gun drop safe. Unlike the P11, the PF9 does not rely on the firing pin spring for drop safety. The spring only needs to be strong enough to retract the firing pin after it hits the primer.

P32, P32NAA, P3AT, PF9, P11/40/357Sig, Sub2K9, Sub9, SU16C + More to come.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:06 AM   #17
smokey45

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

TxCajun,
Point well taken. Perhaps my point was obscured in my ramblings. Agreed, any gun owner should know how to clean and lube any new pistol, and actually do so prior to shooting it. It's a given also that some cartridges do not work well due of OAL and bullet profile, mainly due to the short chamber leade. A problem easily resolved by a print and program change on CNC equipment. Likely just an edit of the existing program. It also seems to me a little final inspection and firing could eliminate a lot of potential customer problems. Not to mention the benefit of decreased operating cost due to fewer warranty returns, and customer satisfaction. I think KT has been an innovator in firearms design and engineering. I just wish they would be a little more proactive in addressing these little problems that they must certainly be aware of.
s45

Old 09-19-2012, 02:18 AM   #18
TxCajun
Administrator
KOG_ADMIN.png

They do test fire each gun before shipping. I really don't think they have many warranty returns for light primer strikes. If it were much of an issue for them, they could easily switch to a lighter firing pin spring. That they haven't done that tells me it is not a big concern, something I could already figure from reading this forum.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:24 AM   #19
Toney_D
Grand Poobah

Liked 75 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 62

I wish it hit harder. Sorting brass you can pick out the ones that have been fired through a KT easy

P32

Old 09-19-2012, 02:27 AM   #20
TxCajun
Administrator
KOG_ADMIN.png

As long as it fires, I don't care how hard it hits. If it bothers you, clip a couple coils off the firing pin spring.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Go Back   KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > KelTec Products > PF-9