KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > KelTec Products > PF-9 > Does PMC ammo have hard primers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2013, 04:08 PM   #1
KKT

Likes Given: 2

Default Does PMC ammo have hard primers

Went to the range yesterday and fired my pf9. I have never seen this happen before, but I had five rounds out of a box of fifty that did not fire. All the ammo that did not fire had really nice neat deep round hits on the primer. Has anyone heard of this problem with PMC ammo.

KEL-TEC P-32 1st gen, P-3AT 1st gen, PF9, P-40, CZ50, CZ52, CZ82, Beretta 92, Rossi Stainless model 88, Stoger Luger 22 cal, Walther P-1, Polish P-64, Bulgarian Makarov, Hawes Silver City Marshall 22 cal, Glock model 23 3rd gen,Taurus PT25,Taurus TCP 738, Taurus PT709 slim,Taurus 85 protector polymer 38+p, Winchester model 70 270 cal. lightweight, Marlin model 60 22cal, SKS 7.62x39, Saiga auto 7.62 x 39 , Browing BPS 12guage, Springfield Garand 30-06.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2013, 04:26 PM   #2
Wyldman

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Not as a rule. Most of the time, a "nice deep dent" doesn't indicate a hard primer cup, more likely a bad batch of primers. I would contact PMC with the box in hand so they can get the lot codes off of it. I would be pretty certain that if they did have a bad batch of primers that they probably already know, or at least suspect it. Anytime I've ever had problems from factory ammo, the manufacturer is really good about replacements or refunds, although I've never had a problem to contact PMC about.

Did the firing pin pierce any of the primer cups, leaving a hole in the fired ammo, no matter how small? Hard primer cups are usually found in military ammo, mostly stuff intended for automatic weapons, though different manufacturers have different specs for the hardness of their primer cups, Winchester being notorious for having soft primers, for example.

Hope this helps, some, and it would be nice if you post here after you follow up with PMC, as I'm sure many would be interested in the outcome.

Last edited by Wyldman; 06-30-2013 at 04:29 PM.
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2013, 01:22 AM   #3
kevinfromwebb

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would say that PMC Bronze does have hard primers... I've got a Glock 34 that I had changed the springs in, including that firing pin spring... The PMC was the only ammo I had problems with just like you had... I had a few rounds that dented the primer well but didn't fire... After talking to a gunsmith friend I changed the springs back to stock and haven't had any more problems...
All that being said, I haven't had any other problems with PMC (in my other Glocks and Kel Tecs) and it does seem to be a softer recoiling round... Maybe loaded a bit less 'strong' than most other rounds... I still shoot what I have but have leaned towards other brands since and probably won't purchase any more...

Quick Reply

Go Back   KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > KelTec Products > PF-9