Come help us Launch CZTalk.com - Free Decals!
KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > KelTec Products > PLR-16 > What flash hider for PLR 16

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2006, 11:35 AM   #1
CAR-15

Default What flash hider for PLR 16

What flash hider to use with the PLR 16?

I am new to posting to this fourm but I have been reading about the lasers and red dot sights ect. for the PLR 16. I finaly found a PLR 16 in stock to purchase. It will cost $499 plus shipping. (anyone know a cheaper price that is IN STOCK?) They seem to be hard to come by. I figured out the sights and forearm but need some help on the flash hider that will keep the bounce down.
Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2006, 01:11 PM   #2
Liberty4Ever
Grand Poobah
KOG_SPONSOR.png

Liked 88 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default Re: What flash hider for PLR 16

I have the Yankee Hill Manufacturing 5C1 flash suppressor. It does an amazing job of flash suppression - from a huge basketball sized ball of flame down to nothing.

You indicated you also wanted some muzzle brake capability. The 5C1 is missing the slotted cutout on the bottom, which prevents dirt from being kicked up if firing from the prone position (less an issue for a PLR than an AR), but is also a fairly effective muzzle brake. The PLR doesn't kick much, but the 5C1 reduces the small muzzle flip to a very small muzzle flip.

I got mine a couple of weeks ago at www.globaltactical.com, $21 including shipping, but they don't seem to carry them anymore. The YHM website shows them back ordered. The 5C2 will work, if you're planning on using it as a bayonette in hand to hand combat.

http://www.yankeehillmachine.com/store/muzzle.html

Here is one place that shows them in stock.

http://www.eaglefirearms.net/yankee_hill.htm

Try to buy a couple of extra crush washers to make it easier to mount muzzle accessories on the PLR, or send me a private message with your postal address and I'll mail you a nickel plated brass jam nut that'll work until you get something nicer.

The only down side I see to the 5C1 is the 1.5 inches it adds. That doesn't sound like much, but it's a lot on such a short weapon. It can adversely impact your carrying options. I still can't find a notebook PC case that fits, although that wouldn't be a problem without the flash suppressor. There are shorter flash suppressors and muzzle brakes, but I don't think the shorter flash suppressors are as effective. Some people like the great balls of fire.

Kel-Tec has a very effective muzzle brake, at least based on their video. Unfortunately, it remains back ordered.

Buy rice. Buy beans. Buy guns. Buy ammo.
This is your final SHTF warning.

Old 06-11-2006, 05:17 PM   #3
amd6547

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I also use the 5C1, based on posts here. But, I am considering other options. One is the long CAR-15 type break, which should direct more noise downrange. The other is called the Levang linear comp, which is designed to also direct the noise forward.
I like the Noveskey break, but $125 is just too much for me.
The Keltec break looks like the russian AK74 type break. Bushmaster sells a copy of that style break and I am sure it would work great on the PLR.

Old 06-15-2006, 01:03 AM   #4
PLRWiseGuy

Check out the videos in this website. Noveske is going through 100 round beta c mags w/out a flash. He is using a flash called a pig. The site has videos of both 223 and 308 autos in action with the pig. It is nothing but impressive.

http://www.noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/cart2/display.cgi?cat1=22

Old 06-15-2006, 02:21 AM   #5
Timc

Bought a DPMS flash suppressor for mine from Bownells for $8 crush washer for $3, looks good.

Old 06-15-2006, 02:40 AM   #6
Bobo45

Default  You know that tri pod...looks a bit like a

vertical foregrip! Im gonna tell! LOL
Actually it looks awesome my brutha !!
Your done.

Old 06-15-2006, 03:21 AM   #7
Liberty4Ever
Grand Poobah
KOG_SPONSOR.png

Liked 88 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 45

TimC,

Nice!

Here are the links for those wanting to buy.

A2 Flash Suppressor:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=21246&title=AR-15+A2+FLASH+SUPPRESSOR

Peel Washer:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=334&title=AR-15%2fM16+LOCK+%26+PEEL+WASHER

Does the DPMS flash suppressor completely eliminate the flash on a PLR or just reduce it? The YHM 5C1 flash suppressor seems to completely eliminate flash, and does a bit as a compensator too. The 1.75" long DPMS flash hider that you have might be nice, instead of the the 2.20" YHM version I have. Hey, half an inch is half an inch.

Buy rice. Buy beans. Buy guns. Buy ammo.
This is your final SHTF warning.

Old 06-15-2006, 03:44 AM   #8
rcmodel
Grand Poobah

Liked 80 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAR-15
I figured out the sights and forearm but need some help on the flash hider that will keep the bounce down.
Thanks
Flash hiders hide muzzle flash, but do very little to control recoil.

Compensators control recoil very well, but do very little to hide the muzzle flash.

You need to decide which you want to do, hide the flash or control the recoil?

;D
rcmodel

Choot'em Lizabet! Choot'em!!

Old 06-15-2006, 04:44 PM   #9
Timc

I noticed no flash with the DPMS suppressor and it does seem to tame muzzle flip a little. There is not enough recoil IMHO to warrant a muzzle brake although I will probably get one just to try it out. My main reason for going with the DPMS suppressor was that it was shorter than most. The price was very reasonable too!
I'm also going to do some testing with a scope since I already had one available to see what kind of accuracy I can get out of it.

Quick Reply

Go Back   KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > KelTec Products > PLR-16