Come help us Launch CZTalk.com - Free Decals!
KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > KelTec Products > PLR-16 > What ammo do you use in your PLR-16

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2010, 12:20 AM   #11
Dragonsniper

Default Re: What ammo do you use in your PLR-16

Ok, so I finally received my PLR. I ran 100 rounds of Federal that I picked up at walmart for $40, not one jam. I Love It!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2010, 09:15 PM   #12
Carolina_Drifter

Noob question,I'm thinking of trying Guat and IMI does anybody forsee any problems with that?

Old 01-14-2011, 09:43 PM   #13
jeepster09

So....can the PLR eat both .223 or Nato ammo?

SU-16CA&&Mossberg 500A HD&&Marlin .22 semi-auto

Old 01-14-2011, 09:48 PM   #14
Bert
Banned

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster09
So....can the PLR eat both .223 or Nato ammo?

Old 01-15-2011, 10:22 PM   #15
brotherjethro

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_Drifter
Noob question,I'm thinking of trying Guat and IMI does anybody forsee any problems with that?
I've fired plenty of Guat through mine. No problems.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:06 PM   #16
liveforhuntin

Good groups with Black Hills 55 grain jsp.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:02 AM   #17
purduepurdy

New to the PLR-16 and did not read the manual about steel cased ammo. In the second clip the extractor broke part of the shell casing off. After examining the bolt and extractor and cleaning it I will stick to brass. : Guess some people learn the hard way. Ran a case of Remington UMC and it performed like a dream. Very happy with the purchase.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:20 AM   #18
Ghostwalker13

Just reading this again and trying to figure out what you were asking exactly. Do you mean what is most reliable, cheapest, for plinking, or best for defense/hunting?

I have run PMC bronze, federal, lake city and my own hand loads through mine and only had one issue (primer related). So I think everything shoots well out it, is reliable and is very accurate so get your hands on whatever you can for as cheap as you can. As a side note I won’t shoot steel cased ammo out of any of my guns unless things have gone really bad.

If it’s hunting or an HD question I would go with anything that has a ballistic tip, soft point or a hollow point. At about 2330 FPS (what my hand loads were coming out at and factory stuff was at the 2100-2300 range) a 55gr bullet has about 660 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle which is roughly three times the energy of a .38 Special and higher than most .45 ACP rounds. *However, it is well below the fragmentation velocity needed for a FMJ to fragment and thus impart all the energy bullet has into the intended target. With the modified points it is more likely that the bullet will expand, fragment or tumble on impact and impart the retained energy. The PLR with its shorter barrel already has a disadvantage (in velocity/energy terms) over a rifle so I try to compensate for that with more advanced ammo. With FMJ rounds it’s only going to poke a .224 inch hole through something. Also your penetration with modified points is generally going to be higher due to the lower velocities and less violent expansion but they have all still expanded/fragmented well for me long before I think they would exit a body.

BTW the best round I have tested so far is the Nosler *55gr ballistic tip boat tails… pretty impressive for such a small bullet although the Hornady 55gr V-Max, and 68gr HPBT did well too. Need to pick up some partitions and test them out.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:39 AM   #19
Gigantopithicus

I've been using the cheap federal ammo from Wally World as well. Well over 1,500 rounds. Absolutely no problems except for once when it was about 20 degrees out and even then it was just a series of 3 FTEs. Banged away the rest of the night just fine. The cold was the only cause I could think of for the FTEs.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.&&-- Abraham Lincoln

Quick Reply

Go Back   KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > KelTec Products > PLR-16