KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > KelTec Products > PLR-16 > Troy's "CLAYMORE" muzzle brake on Plr-16?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2010, 04:11 PM   #1
titan556

Default Troy's "CLAYMORE" muzzle brake on Plr-16?

Maybe this question will be more helpful to me if posted here. I currently own a Plr-16 equipped with Troy's new "CLAYMORE" muzzle brake which I haven't been able to take out to the range just yet. I purchased this piece in order to give the Plr-16 a more aggressive look after not being satisfied with the appearance of Kel-tec's muzzle brake once received. I was wondering if there's anyone here using one on there's, or just simply have any idea how effective it is in regards to reducing muzzle rise and taming the roaring Plr-16 on my ears. I've tried checking out online reviews on the CLAYMORE but only get the original manufacture description of it and what its "designed to do" but no actually testimonials or personal experiences I could find. The only thing I do know for sure is that it's one awesome looking piece. Any suggestions on any other muzzle brakes that perform well? Any inputs or reviews anyone know of that I've maybe missed?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2010, 04:34 PM   #2
Liberty4Ever
Grand Poobah
KOG_MODERATOR.png

Liked 151 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 78

Default Re: Troy's "CLAYMORE" muzzle brake on Plr-16?

http://store.troyind.com/Claymore_Muzzle_Brake_p/sbra-clm-05bt-00.htm

I don't have any personal experience with this particular muzzle brake.

Quote:
Directs muzzle blast and sound forward, away from the shooter, while retaining effective muzzle brake properties.
This claim seems to violate the laws of physics. If the blast is directed forward, additional recoil is directed backward. It would increase recoil, not decrease it as a muzzle brake is designed to do.

Don't expect any compensator or muzzle brake to substantially reduce the muzzle blast. Sadly, if you want that, you'll be paying the $200 for the tax stamp plus a LOT of money for a suppressor.

Buy rice. Buy beans. Buy guns. Buy ammo.
This is your final SHTF warning.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:21 PM   #3
Wesmonster

Design-wise that looks similar to the Levang Linear comp, basically directing sound & blast energy forward. I've run my Levang on both my Ar-15 and my PLR-16, better sound control but little change in muzzle jump or recoil. There was an excellent article posted on the internet comparing some popular muzzle breaks using a mounted laser to chart the muzzle rise and how each break tamed that jump. Levang was so-so to poor on muzzle jump. The best muzzle breaks vented from the side& up back towards the shooter using the blast energy to counter, which of course increased sound & pressure on the shooter. It looks like a nice piece, but if you want to keep the barrel from jumping up it seems you'd have to vent some gas upwards to counteract that. Unless I missed something I don't see the Claymore doing that.
But the last thing I want is a break venting blast upwards towards my face if I'm shooting from the hip. Not for me thanks.

Old 05-21-2010, 06:35 PM   #4
k-tfanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan556
I purchased this piece in order to give the Plr-16 a more aggressive look
@Titan556

I, too, was thinking about adding this (what do you call it - it's not a muzzle break and it doesn't look like a flash-hider) flash-enhancer to my PLR. I know that the ad for it mentions the fact that it's a muzzle break, but seriously, there's some funny physics going on if the piece directs the blast forward AND reduces flip. But Liberty4Ever already covered this.

Fellow shooters have [s]whined [/s]complained about the blast from my PLR, so I just took the factory muzzle break off. I didn't notice any more flip than usual and people stopped whinging. However, the exposed threads have me concerned so I'm still thinking about getting something to put on the front of the barrel.

I like the looks of the Claymore (it's totally un-practical but hey, it's a PLR! if I wanted practical I would have gone with a PF9) and the possibility that it spits the un-burned powder forward is a possibility too good to pass up ;-).

Old 05-21-2010, 06:57 PM   #5
Liberty4Ever
Grand Poobah
KOG_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-tfanboy
I just took the factory muzzle brake off. I didn't notice any more flip than usual
Relatively speaking, there is quite a bit of muzzle flip without the brake, which 100% tames it, but I don't find the muzzle flip all that bad and the horizontal recoil doesn't bother me at all. The flip and recoil are much worse on my little pocket 9mm, and the PLR-16 is .223!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-tfanboy
However, the exposed threads have me concerned so I'm still thinking about getting something to put on the front of the barrel.
Kel-Tec makes a very nice thread protector. Mine shipped with the thread protector, but if you bought the PLR-16 as the deluxe kit with the muzzle brake pre-installed, you probably didn't get the thread protector. I'd call Kel-Tec customer service and ask about the thread protector. I'd guess it'd be somewhere in the range of free to cheap.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:20 PM   #6
titan556

Thanks a lot for the inputs everyone. Great advice but I'm still curious to know how the Claymore performs in the field itself now. It's still everything I was able to get from Troy's website and packaging details. I'm thinking that regardless what muzzle I throw on that dog called the PLR she will still bark and make the neighbors aware of her presence ;D . I'm just gonna accept the Plr for what she is and what she dishes out to my surrounding rangemates whenever I come around to shooting it. Its what makes the Plr "THE PLR" right? But she does look gooddddddddd! I'm getting my 2nd PLR in about a week or so and will be posting pictures as promised. Once again thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it all.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:38 AM   #7
wheelguy
Grand Poobah

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

L4E is just being modest about his experience with muzzle brakes. He ran the most comprehensive test in history on all muzzle brake types for the PLR, in addition to memorizing every thread out there on this topic.

If I may summarize the results, as seen from my point of view...
- the PLR gives the same wonderful roar regardless of muzzle brake, but the PLR brake is more loud than most
- the most practically useful brake is one that dulls the flash, and the best type for that is one of the Phantom brands

Cheers - Be safe, help others.

Old 05-22-2010, 01:23 AM   #8
Liberty4Ever
Grand Poobah
KOG_MODERATOR.png

The data is still available from The Big Bizang experiment. Most of the data is questionable, but some of the comparison may be useful, including comparative pictures and a chart listing the sizes and weights.
http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1169181140/60#62

The data isn't very good, but here it is:
http://209.197.93.201/BigBizangData.pdf

My science is usually a lot better than that. The entire Big Bizang experiment was pooched from Jump Street.

I actually learned a lot more while I was experimenting with 16 different PLR-16 muzzle brakes that I made a year and a half ago. There was a lot of trial and error, but this one met my design goals perfectly. I pulled the still frame from an evaluation video I made.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:17 AM   #9
k-tfanboy

L4E: That photo is a thing of beauty. And on behalf of PLR [s]nuts[/s] fans everywhere thank you for your contribution to science. I hope you didn't have to sacrifice too much ;-).

Old 05-05-2014, 02:26 AM   #10
tonycobretti

Troy Claymore muzzle break works best with 16" barrel, or longer. There is much less unburnt powder, resulting in less muzzle flash, and a softer push back, and it is easier to stay flat on target. It seems all negative info on this product is from testing it on SBR pistols and not .223 rifles.

Quick Reply

Go Back   KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > KelTec Products > PLR-16