KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > KelTec Products > KSG Bullpup Shotgun > Bead or No Sights for KSG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2011, 06:45 AM   #1
fastwalker

Default Bead or No Sights for KSG

KSG is something I would love for home defense. One thing I would not need are rifle iron sights, like the Magpul MBUS Sights. I don't plan to engage targets down my street. If I do, then a suitable long-rifle with rifle iron sights would suffice.

What I would be interested in is a bead sight for my future KSG. With bead sight and slugs, you can easily engage targets 50 yards away. At 75 to 100 yards, it would be challenging but not impossible. Of course, if bead sights aren't available, KSG's top rails would suffice. Either way, you would have to compensate the sight height -- approximately 1/2" to 1". Practice makes perfect.

I'd be interested to read what other KSG-enthusiasts have to say about this topic.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2011, 12:20 AM   #2
4thPointOfContact

Default Re: Bead or No Sights for KSG

I suspect that trying to use bead sights with the KSG would be like trying to use bead sights on an AR; the height of the eye above the bore precludes it.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:40 PM   #3
sgt_d_usmc

I see the promlem with a bead front sight, it would need a full length ramp to work right.

what a lot of people do not understand is that a conventional shot gun with a bead is about the fastest firarm on target there is. adding rifle sights to a shot gun slows it down, and it is made for close range work

Old 07-10-2011, 11:44 PM   #4
Steve_O.

4thPointOfContact has it right. I was asking about mounting a ghost ring sight on the KSG, but another member of this board pointed out how a sight mounted directly to the rail would be too low to use comfortably. Due to the fact that the shoulder stock is level with the rail, any sight needs to be raised in order to obtain a proper sight picture. Most shotgun shoulder stocks place the cheek below the level of the top of the receiver, which allows a bead sight to be used.

And BTW, don't discount the shotgun as a longer range weapon; plenty of people hunt with shotguns.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:58 AM   #5
Tack_Driver

I prefer a bead only on a shotgun, as well. On this one, I plan on something different. I'm still going to primarily run a front bead.......an AR fixed front sight with an AR XS Big Dot sight post..........

https://danieldefense.com/components-parts/upper-half/sights/rail-mounted-fixed-front-sight.html

http://xssights.com/index.php?nID=sights&cID=Sights&pID=sights &sID=tactical

The beauty is that you can, if you want, run a flip up rear and just leave it down until you need it. If you decide later, you want a different bead or front post, you can swap it till your heart is content.

That's my plan anyways.

"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen to setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." -Samuel Adams, Father of Our Revolution

Old 07-11-2011, 05:57 PM   #6
sgt_d_usmc

Tack driver, I'm glad that I am not the only person who realizes that a bead is the fastest. I really like your idea of the xs big dot it makes alot of sense. I don't own a shotgun, I was a competitive military rifle competitor, but I just don't shoot shotguns very well. I do like this one and it would ride well in the seat next to you with a small towel covering it. (ccw of course)

Old 07-11-2011, 09:42 PM   #7
fastwalker

Just like in my OP, I agree with 4thContact and Steve_O. There will always be a sight height no matter what you use -- rifle iron sights or bead sight. Rifle sights are not needed for my needs. My KSG will primarily be my Home Defense gun. Engagements will most likely be 0 to 10 yards.

KelTec please offer a "Home Defense" version which comes with a bead sight and no top rail. If KelTec won't offer this option, then I'd use the center gap of the top rail as an ad-hoc bead sight. Let me use ASCII characters to illustrate what I'm talking about:

]_._[

The center gap that runs along the top rail can be used as a window sight which you would overlay on your target. The period (".&quot is my imaginary bead sight that will function as my point-of-aim. Your target will be centered within that "box" and its lower-half covered by the rail's bottom. Essentially, it is like those rails that allow you to peak thru and see your iron sights when your optics fail.

Using the top rail's center gap isn't perfect. You'll still have a sight height of like 1/4". Also, this technique really doesn't matter at very short ranges. But does help when aiming for targets +50 yards away or small targets at 25 yards.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:24 AM   #8
fastwalker

here is kel-tec's response to my inquiry about bead sights or no top rail option:

Quote:
The KSG comes with no sights, but I’m not sure if the top rail will be removable or not. I’ll pass your email on to the R&D team for consideration. Thanks for the input.
maybe subsequent production models after initial one will gives customers more options to configure their KSG. i do hope they give more options. heck i'd take a low-profile bead sight on a rail mount. simple enough idea.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:03 AM   #9
SaigaJunkie
Banned

i want a big yellow triangle on the front. kinda like a steyr/

Old 08-06-2011, 03:12 PM   #10
danlauer9676

If the KSG turns out rugged and reliable, and I'm ever able to purchase one, I was thinking I'd put a simple fiber-optic "bead" on the front of the top rail, with a rail riser in between, if necessary, to raise the bead height to a reasonable level (on account of the cheekrest being level with the barrel on this shotgun, as opposed to other conventional shotguns I've used). I think I would prefer this set-up to the ghost rings (et al) for quick, close-range target aqcuisition. On the bottom would (maybe) be a Laser-Max (Uni-Max Green, probably) laser and a tac-light (mounted to the bottom of the laser), or just the tac-light alone (when I get tired of replacing the laser's batteries, etc, and I realize that a good tac-light and fiber optic bead are plenty good enough for daylight and lowlight conditions).

If IR lasers/flashlights were legal for civilian use, I'd have on hand (to swap out for) a nightvision headset, IR flashlight and an IR laser for when the SHTF... but that's just dreaming... and more than I'm wanting to spend right now anyway.

Edit - I'm having a hard time locating the type of fiber optic sight I was thinking of using. I guess they might not exist. It would be a simple, straight piece of fiber optic plastic mounted on top of a tactical rail clamp. Has anyone ever seen such a thing? All I'm finding are ones made for shotgun vent ribs, beads that screw in to replace other beads, dovetail mounts, etc.

Last edited by danlauer9676; 08-06-2011 at 03:52 PM.

Quick Reply

Go Back   KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > KelTec Products > KSG Bullpup Shotgun