KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > KelTec Products > RFB High Efficiency Rifle > Suppressors for the RFB Carbine...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2009, 05:02 PM   #1
stymie
Grand Poobah

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default Suppressors for the RFB Carbine...

Silencer technology has come a long way since the VietNam era. SIONICS SS-1s were quickly supplanted by the AWC Spectrum (2000)/Thundertrap series as top dogs in the industry & today the plethora of choices is overwhelming. Ever been whelmed? *

I've narrowed my search to a couple of welded core cans manufactured by AAC (Advanced Armament Corporation). These babies are state-of-the-art in both form & function. I had been leaning toward the rather expensive & tricked out SCAR-H SD with "Blackout" QD M.I.T.E.R. FH/silencer interface. The Blackout FH alone is exceptional at decreasing visible muzzle flash in low light & exhibits a characteristic PING from its tuning fork like prongs. The QD ratchet mount allows quick attachment & removal. The can has multiple reference points for an adjustable POI. * .

The Cyclone has even better suppression & utilizes a conventional 5/8-24TPI RH threaded mount. NOTE: According to Mike Mers of AAC, it is imperative to remove the jam nut as well as the FH * ;D for installation. This enables the can to seat properly on the RFB's more than adequate shoulder. Toby of K-T advises me to remove the gas valve cover when shooting suppressed. Externalized gas porting has a tendency to increase dBs & the RFB is no exception. I had suggested to K-T that a secondary tube be provided for the RFB at the gas port cover threads to eliminate the cumulative blast effect. The GVS or "Gas Vent Shroud" is likely to be incorporated at some point in future offerings. * It will take the form of a tube extension/trap or valve chamber to accomplish that goal. Since a bullet does not travel through the unit & the "GVS" in & of itself does not silence the weapon without a TAX paid sound suppressor already in place, there should not be a complication with registration with NFA Branch. * 8-)

Cyclone MSRP $850

SCAR-H SD MSRP $1195 + QD/FH MSRP $125 = $1320

I like the K.I.S.S. Principle & the Cyclone is sounding very attractive (& affordable). The FH on the Blackout needs to be kept clean or it's a real PITA to remove the can. Clean & silencer are a couple of words usually not attributed to one another. The RFB gets real dirty, real fast with a silencer.

So, what are you guys going to use/or currently using to suppress your RFBs?

Funny how the people that are the first to take advantage of our freedom are the ones that are the last to defend it! Have you said thank you to a soldier today?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2009, 05:55 PM   #2
Speed41ae

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Re: Suppressors for the RFB Carbine...

I was looking at a YHM Phantom suppressor. *I am still researching options and I will not have the funds for a suppressor for a while. *I do want a suppressor that uses a quick detach system. *I want to buy one suppressor for multiple rifles. *

All of my available fun money is currently slated for a RFB.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:15 PM   #3
shan2

I'll probably get the Sandstorm. It got quite a decent write-up on arfcom:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=20&t=282592

I used to care about every last decibel. As I get older, all I care about is something that does better than 28 dB suppression with minimal weight and length.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:55 PM   #4
stymie
Grand Poobah

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

http://www.advanced-armament.com/product.aspx?pid=68

http://www.gem-tech.com/STORMFRONT.html

http://yankeehillmachine.com/store/phantom762.html

http://www.awcsystech.com/spectrum2000.html

The Cyclone gives about 33dB reduction... *
When you're dealing with a short barreled .308 that's pretty darn loud anyway, every little bit helps.
AAC produces a welded baffle core that's literally a work of art.

I'm trying to keep an open mind on other options, but this is looking like a safe bet.

Funny how the people that are the first to take advantage of our freedom are the ones that are the last to defend it! Have you said thank you to a soldier today?

Old 06-20-2009, 02:06 PM   #5
shan2

AAC claims the Cyclone gives 33 dB reduction. Is there any independent confirmation?

To tell you the truth, I can't honestly hear the differences between AWC, Gemtech, SWR, or Knights Armament. (Never had an AAC.) I do know that Gemtech and SWR offer customer service the others won't. Doc Dater and Joe Gaddini are great people. KAC would simply piss on you if you don't have a .mil e-mail address and I won't be buying their stuff, anymore.

Old 06-20-2009, 04:18 PM   #6
stymie
Grand Poobah

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Numbers don't always tell the whole story. Some cans are high pitched, others are low. Some are quite loud with FRP (1st round POP). Certain frequencies travel longer distances. Silencer Research & Silencer Talk have some data. You might have to pay $30 at SR for "special access" to that info. Testing cans CAN get pretty eXpensive. ST is brought to you by the same folks that bring you AAC suppressors. Does that mean their data is skewed? Not necessarily, but do your homework. Shooting platforms (make, model, barrel...), ammo, ambient temperature, ablative mediums, elevation, microphone placement... MUST be identical for there to be a valid comparison/contrast. A good set of ears helps, but will never replace empirical testing that can be repeated.

Judging by design & performance parameters, AAC is the outfit to beat in .308 cans. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a loyalist on brand names. I have an AWC MK9 can on my smgs. I have an SWR Spectre on my CZ-75 Kadet & Walther P22. I have an SWR Trident-9 on my Beretta 92FSs & Walther P.5. They are the best cans for their applications even surpassing AAC's offerings (IMHO) for pistols & smgs. *

Joe Gaddini sold the business (SWR) years ago, but his legacy lives on. * :-?

KAC/KMC has become more civilian end-user friendly. Trey Knight is very approachable & responsive. Times are changing. However, military contracts will always get priority treatment. *

Some folks are a little bit ticked at Dr Phil's insisting on getting a ruling from BATFE that resulted in a $200 "GEMTAX" imposed on significant reconstruction of damaged suppressor tubes. * :P

SWR's CS is probably the BEST in the industry! * The others can be a mixed bag.

Old 06-20-2009, 05:07 PM   #7
Oleg_Volk

Liked 102 Times on 56 Posts

AAC 762SD works great with RFB. However, SCAR suppressor may work better due to the reflex design (shorter overall package).

Old 06-20-2009, 05:18 PM   #8
shan2

Gaddini sold the business?

Man, I haven't bought from SWR in a while... First impressions are lasting impressions. ;D

With the AAC's SCAR suppressor, I read that there is some blowback leakage from between the mount and the suppressor. Well, I'll probably go with the 14 ounce Sandstorm. It's too bad there's no dealer with a range where we could test things out.

Old 06-20-2009, 05:22 PM   #9
Oleg_Volk

Liked 102 Times on 56 Posts

Leakage -- possible.

I don't recall any problems with 762SD, though I will need to regulate the gas venting to reduce recoil.

Old 06-20-2009, 05:59 PM   #10
stymie
Grand Poobah

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

OLEG,

You might try shooting suppressed with the valve cover/cap removed from its threads. This was suggested to me by the guys at Kel-Tec.

-John

You can spray a little liquid CLP on the baffles & then you will be able to actually see the blow-by at the mounts or wherever...

Quick Reply

Go Back   KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > KelTec Products > RFB High Efficiency Rifle