KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > KelTec Products > RFB High Efficiency Rifle > RFB Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 12:26 PM   #1
domehead

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default RFB Review

Review of the Kel-Tec RFB

I purchased my Kel-Tec RFB last week and I have been to the range twice with this rifle.
The RFB came to my local store in good condition with a user manual, Rifle and one FAL metric magazine. What I can recommend is that when you pick up your new RFB make sure you bring it home and strip it down and clean and oil it well. Besides having and clean rifle you will have understanding how to field strip this weapon at the range or in the field if you need to.

I did order the lower RFB Hand guard Picatinny Rail so I could attach front vertical grip, which I highly recommend. I also installed a AR-332 Burris scope and laserlyte K-15 KRYPTONYTE CARBINE GREEN LASER.

The rifle is very well balanced and the overall look and feel is outstanding. During the first cleaning of the RFB I did find a small amount of rust along the bolt, this was just surface rust and cleaned up with minimal effort. At this time I also install the lower rail and this does take little time to get installed.

After reassembly of the RFB I installed the AR-332 laserLyte. The AR-332 required some spacers between the mounting nuts and the rail to have it tight on the top rail of the RFB.

The RFB at the range with five different types of ammo for accuracy testing.

Winchester white Box 147 grain: The RFB had problems feeding this ammo confirmed with Kel-tec
Federal match 168 grain: Grouping 3 inches
Remington 168 Grain: Grouping 2.5 inches
Winchester 110 grain: Grouping 5 Inches
Winchester 150 grain silver tip: 1 MOA

The Kel-Tec has a 1:11 twist barrel per Kel-tec . The recoil is very mild compare to the size of the rifle.

The AR-332 Scope performs outstanding on this platform at 50 to 200 yards with easy target centering and shot placement. The laserLyte K-15 during normal day light hours I was unable to see the laser beyond 40 yards on Redfield Target white background.

If you are reloader most likely you would be able to reduce the MOA to Sub-Moa groupings with this rifle. The RFB can be used as home defense rifle or you can take it hunting for any game that the 308 is suited for.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2011, 05:03 PM   #2
Ultrastealth

Default Re: RFB Review

I don't know if you have perused the forums here yet, but check your bolt to make sure that the chrome isn't chipping or flaking off. This has been a problem of late with RFB's and is the reason that mine is still at Kel-Tec being fixed.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:47 PM   #3
stmcelroy

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Kel-tec CS told me the flaking was not an issue and that I should just shoot it as is.

If I wanted to send in the bolt they could smooth it out to try and stop the nickel from flaking so much, but if I wanted it replaced they needed the whole gun.

Not going to spend $40 to send it back and wait 2-3 weeks for them to replace the bolt.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:12 PM   #4
Plexman

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Great review Domehead. Up until now I had assumed that 168 grain ammo and/or reloads were going to give the best performance. Winchester 150 grain Silver Tips were not even on my radar.

Would you mind sharing how large the sample was (i.e. how many rounds of each type of ammo you tried)? Was this 3 round groupings, 5 round, 10 round, etc.?

Old 01-28-2011, 02:23 AM   #5
domehead

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I did five round groupings and there was two shooters each had two *five round grouping per ammo. Yes that ws alot of *lead to send down range ;D. I am in the process of reloading some Hornady 155 grain a-max moly rounds, plus for 178 hornday and the sierra 150, 168, 175 match king rounds to run the test one more time with reloads to see there is any major differnce in performace.

I will not be able to get back to the range until mid feb and I will update the post with the new test results.

It appears the winchster white box brass has a little thicker rim on the head and that could be causing the feed issues.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:50 AM   #6
ftldrben
Grand Poobah

Good job and I appreciate the candor.

I got skewered for suggesting that the RFB would produce 3" plus groups with my favorite .308: Fed Match 168's

It must be the rifling because I get .5" groups with my 18" OBR with the same ammo on the same day.

I'm not disappointed with my RFB, as you say it's a CQB .308 and it'll perform well at distance. But it's not going to supplant a bolt gun which some of the newer AR10's can do.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:13 PM   #7
tex45acp

I have been shooting my Winchester, Pre 64 Mod 70 for years and it is a bonafied hole in a hole shooter. I always wanted a semi auto in .308/7.62mm for hog hunting and looked at several guns that offered that caliber. I have several AR-15's and was about to order an AR-10. Into the shop comes the RFB and I was immediate amazed at the bullpup design. After it sat on the shelf for over a week, and no one even asked to look at it, I decided to purchase my first bullpup design carbine. I made a partial trade of one of my 3 AR-15's and took it home. After reading the manual I field stripped, cleaned and relubed the gun and picked up the only box of 7.62mm I had laying around. The Winchester has been written about as being a "dont use due to reliability" ammo but it was all I had. I headed to the range and took along a brand new Vortex Strikefire that I had purchased for one of my AR's. I installed the sight and loaded all 20 into the clip. I fired the first 10, as fast as I could just to check function and was immediately amazed at the comfort and lack of recoil and muzzle rise. The next 10 were to sight in the Strikefire. Since I had run off and left my laser boresighter at home. I just winged it. The picture below will show the progress with the last two shots almost touching and just to the right of the bull. All shots were at 50 yards.

I do like this rifle and am looking forward to shooting some different ammo to see if it is as consistient in function and as accurate. I will more than likely suppress the gun later this year for hog hunting and try some of the different sub-sonic ammo out there as well.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:59 PM   #8
domehead

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The 147 grain round is very close match for this weapon. Try some Winchester 150 rounds. What I found one the white box stuff some of the brass is a little thicker on the rim and it will jam in the rifle. Another happy RFB owner.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:24 PM   #9
ronmar
Grand Poobah

Liked 89 Times on 74 Posts

I wonder what velocity those Silvertips run at? This is one of the few positives I have read of someone getting good results with 147-150 GR bullets. So far, my various flavors of 147 GR handload have been not so great. I am getting sub 2MOA so far with 168's I read a quote from Matt at Keltec R&D, here are the parts I took away from it.
"The 18[ch8243] variants are the least accurate, but they still achieve about 1.5-1.75[ch8243] groups at 100 yards from our indoor range. That’s off a bench using Hornady TAP 168 grn ammo. The rate of twist of the 18[ch8243] and 24[ch8243] (11.25[ch8243]) definitely prefer 168Grn ammo in my experience, but Federal Gold Medal Match 175 Grn usually is capable of doing excellent work in these guns. Use of bulk and surplus ammo in the 147-150 grn region regularly return terrible accuracy of around 4-5[ch8243]

Old 01-30-2011, 09:22 PM   #10
domehead

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You are correct that the slower twist rate of 1:11 should require heavy bullet but than again my Savage 110 with a 1:12 rate shoot better with 175 grain sieera match king round than it does with the 168. One of the other things most of us look over is the bullet lenght which part of the accuracy not just twsit rate.

I reload the following sierra 150 grain match king *rounds

Powder * * FPS 2800
Benchmark * 42.5
Varget * *44.8
IMR 4064 43.9
RE 15 * * 44.8

Thre are 20 rounds per load and and when I go the range in two weeks I will post the results from this test. I will have one other shooter *each person will shoot 10 rounds per load and the target will be marked and photo. This should give us a starting point on developing reload for this rifle with this bullet weight.

I also have 155 hornady and 168 sierra and 175 sierra rounds which I load and will test.
Hope this helps

Quick Reply

Go Back   KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > KelTec Products > RFB High Efficiency Rifle