KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > KelTec Products > RFB High Efficiency Rifle > #$%^& CANADA!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2010, 02:15 PM   #11
orthodoxy_002

Default Re: #$%^& CANADA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmd_Bash
just called to inquire about kel tec firearms in relationship with our firearms act. apparently they said it was a militarized style weapon and there for restricted, meaning i could own one possibly but never go in the woods with it.
Whomever you called in the CFC, RCMP, CFO, or other "authority", please stop doing so - you'll just give them ideas. Let the importers handle it with the correct authorities (the RCMP firearms techs). Since you were cursing in French I assume you called the Quebec CFO - a hotbed of anti-gun sentiment, but with zero authority to determine the classification of firearms.

The RFB with extra-length barrel is on the way to Canada and will almost certainly be determined to be non-restricted, which means, just like the Robinson XCR, Tavor and others, you'll be able to hunt with it. You just got someone on the phone who used their non-authoritative opinion to get you worked up. There is no provision to restrict "militarized style weapons" in the bureaucracy - it can only be done by the federal government through the OIC process. This government will not do it (although the next may).

I think the FRT has already been issued as non-restricted (which would seal the deal), but can't find a reference to back my memory and so could be incorrect.

Here's a thread to get you started: http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=522634

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2010, 08:04 PM   #12
orthodoxy_002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty4Ever
The Canadian gun banning rules obviously didn't consider bullpups.
They actually do. The wording ends up prohibiting bullpup stocks but not guns. The way it's interpreted is: if the gun can fire without the stock, it's a prohib stock. If not, it's just a part of the gun and the thing as a whole is OK (may or may not be restricted based on characteristics or various ordered classifications).

I doubt that was the intention of the gun-grabbers that wrote the legislation, but it is the outcome.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:10 PM   #13
Cmd_Bash

guys, don't get too carried away.
first i called the RCMP since they seem to be the only ones with a call center dedicated to firearm inquiries, and it was the English side, since my french is terrible.
second, there are two lengths that are important here 470mm barrel which is 18.51" rounded up and 660mm total length which is 25.99" as the minimum length that it can be and still be fired(for example taking the a2 off)

now she may have been an incompetent woman just typing these figures into a classification flash program, which it honestly sounded like what happened, and maybe i should take her advice at face value, but i want to work proactively on this to make sure i can hunt with a 24" barreled RFB, this "militarized" weapon thing she was talking about,, no where in our laws that i could find such nonsense; and once the 24" version is out, i think they'll be hard pressed to put non-existent laws against it

still, where the 24" barrel version is taking its sweet time being made, i want to b sure to do the ground work before it gets here

Old 10-26-2010, 02:46 AM   #14
orthodoxy_002

Quote:
this "militarized" weapon thing she was talking about,, no where in our laws that i could find such nonsense
[...]
and once the 24" version is out, i think they'll be hard pressed to put non-existent laws against it
[...]
still, where the 24" barrel version is taking its sweet time being made, i want to b sure to do the ground work before it gets here
1) you're right, the person you talked to has no clue. *Sounds like you called the CFC (now run by the RCMP) and spoke to one of the call-taking drones.
2) you don't have to wait for that because
3) the Canadian version will have the 18.5+ inch barrel, which are being made as we speak. *Some were incorrectly released into the US market, proving that they are in production.

The ground work you need to do is speaking with the importer, http://www.vaultdistribution.net/, not a drone at the RCMP. *I would again urge you to not call the RCMP/CFC etc - it just confuses the matter. *Best to let the importer manage things.

Go to the gunnutz links I provided as well. *The incoming version is non-restricted, hence you can hunt with it.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:18 PM   #15
Cmd_Bash

the site, though very elegant, shows little pricing or other information, have you used them in the past? i have never heard of the site before or been referred to them

that being said,,, a Canadian RFB would be 100% pure awesome

Old 10-27-2010, 03:18 AM   #16
fwm

I had one. It is. See:

KT wanted it back and has had it for two weeks today and I still haven't seen my US version. I really liked that non-threaded 18 3/4 - 19" barrel depending on who and how it was measured. It really is a beautiful little gun. 27" OAL

Old 10-27-2010, 06:56 PM   #17
orthodoxy_002

Quote:
the site, though very elegant, shows little pricing or other information, have you used them in the past? i have never heard of the site before or been referred to them

that being said,,, a Canadian RFB would be 100% pure awesome
Haven't use them and won't, because they're a distributor and will be selling through dealers. If you read the gunnutz threads I referenced you'll see legitimate-looking discussion with the distributor's rep.

They (and the threads) would be the right place to answer your questions.

May I correct your final statement? "a Canadian RFB will be 100% pure awesome"

Old 10-29-2010, 08:17 PM   #18
Cmd_Bash

i thought i'd update everyone on this, i'm sure vault tec reply to my email is not something they'd prefer to be quoted on, none the less, they said that they, themselves where paying kel-tec for molds, and laser etching(".308&quot for both the rfb and su-16 so they could be imported to them, as well as noting the this venture for them is costly, unfortunately they also noted the msrp will most likely be $2499 for the rfb

Old 11-02-2010, 08:02 AM   #19
Epoxy7

I'm more concerned about the rape/pillaging we'll get on price. The Canadian prices will make the American Gun broker auction site look like a boxing day sale.

Before vault the price was going to be $2000, then after Vault $2500. The retailer I talked to was indicating the price might be higher. So I'm fully expecting things to get ridiculous very quickly.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:29 PM   #20
orthodoxy_002

For those who are waiting, the RFB has been approved for export.

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=532294

Non-restricted, which must mean that the RCMP has already examined and classified it... so now we just have the usual border / customs BS to wait for.

Quick Reply

Go Back   KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > KelTec Products > RFB High Efficiency Rifle