KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > KelTec Products > RFB High Efficiency Rifle > 24 and 32 inch barrels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2012, 05:04 AM   #1
RFBsuperFAN!!!

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 24 and 32 inch barrels

I know KT is or will soon release the longer barreled versions of the RFB. Does anyone know if it will be possible to just purchase the longer barrels and " drop them in" at home? I mean switch over the bolt carrier and pins to the desired barrel that your gonna use and put it all back together. Then (in theory) a person could go from 600 yards with a 18" barrel too 1000 yards with a 24" barrel, and 1200+++ with a 32" barrel. These numbers are just generalizations but the idea is the same. Am I the only one that thinks this could be kinda useful?

People should never fear there Government, Governments should always fear there People.
Make LOVE Loudly, Make WAR Silently.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
ronmar
Grand Poobah

Liked 94 Times on 78 Posts

The barrel is the "spine" of the rifle. It is also separate from all the other components/structure. All the other structure is affixed to it. I am guessing that KT uses a setup fixture to hold the gasblock, rear tower structure and receiver while the large nuts are torqued inplace. Those nuts are not normal flat sided, and will require a special splined wrench to tighten once headspace is established with the bolt in place.

On a rifle that they warranty for life, I am pretty sure that this is not a process that they are going to allow to happen anyplace other than their workshop... I doubt they will offer a barrel assembly, as there is no guarantee that the bolt you have will meet headspace specs when you install your carrier... Since that is the receiver, you would probably be better off just buying a second rifle.

my .02

Old 04-21-2012, 01:18 AM   #3
RFBsuperFAN!!!

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That makes sense, I dont know why I didnt think about it being such a primary piece of the structure. I guess its the most apparent details that get over looked most

People should never fear there Government, Governments should always fear there People.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:42 PM   #4
mikeyramone1234

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I know being able to shoot longer distances is very important to a lot of people but in my opinion, anything longer than an 18" barrel completely kills the idea of the rfb and the whole bullpup platform.

Mike
Pro Patria Vigilans

Old 04-24-2012, 01:40 PM   #5
StangKang

What would the "idea" behind the rfb be exactly? I bought it because it looks cool and is a lefty freindly bullpup. Its short and balances well, but it is definately not an entry carbine, so I don't see extending the barrel length as an issue. 32" might be a little long, but 24" is definately spot on in my opinion. And even with that, it will still be shorter than any other rifle with similiar barrel length. Weight and balance are my real concern, but since quick target acquisition isn't my goal with this gun, that wouldn't really be a problem. So is the barrel extension practical for everyone? nope, but those of us that use it as a hunting/varmint rifle the 24" is exactly what we are looking for hahaha. BTW, if your avatar is legit, thank you for serving sir.

Why are the best hobbies always the most expensive...

Old 04-24-2012, 11:48 PM   #6
ktwm
Grand Poobah

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts

ronmar pretty much got it right.

The plan is to offer a barrel swap service. Basically you send your 18" RFB in, pay for the 24" barrel assembly, the barrel gets swapped, headspaced, proof-fired, and probably both the 18" and 24" barrels and bolt will get the serial number etched on them (so we know they were proofed together).

Then your RFB will get sent back to you with the 24" barrel installed, and you also get the 18" barrel sent back with it. That way if you want it swapped back you can either send it back in and have it swapped back to 18"(might be a small fee for this...might not). Or you can try to find a local gunsmith with the right gages and tools to do it for you.

That is the current plan, and it may change. Chances are barrel swaps will be available before complete 24" RFB's. I think we are just waiting on the shipping box to be finished (custom hard case).

Old 04-25-2012, 01:56 AM   #7
M4V3R1CK

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

well... grr... I was gonna wait to get a 24" RFB, but now you're telling me that it'll be faster to buy an 18", and send it in for the swap... bleh.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:52 AM   #8
Narsil

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 26

That's awesome news, ktwm! Has KT decided on how much it will cost to send in an 18" and get the 24" back with the old barrel also? If so, what's it going to run us?

‘‘Death is as light as a feather, Duty heavier than a mountain."
-Al'Lan Mandragoran

Old 04-25-2012, 09:44 PM   #9
RFBsuperFAN!!!

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That would be a real nice piece of info to have in the back pocket. Also, I dont know about yall but when I measure a scope and check it against the 18" rfb. I find that the average 12 and 13 inch scopes are a little too long. The front lens nearly always hangs out over the end of the barrel and that puts it in danger. I currently run a aimpoint on mine but I was considering getting a suppressor to help with this problem. The 24" barrel would take care of this
Even though I would still have to find a way to justify purchasing a suppressor
Thank you for your service mikeyramone1234

Old 04-26-2012, 12:23 PM   #10
mikeyramone1234

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by StangKang View Post
What would the "idea" behind the rfb be exactly? I bought it because it looks cool and is a lefty freindly bullpup. Its short and balances well, but it is definately not an entry carbine, so I don't see extending the barrel length as an issue. 32" might be a little long, but 24" is definately spot on in my opinion. And even with that, it will still be shorter than any other rifle with similiar barrel length. Weight and balance are my real concern, but since quick target acquisition isn't my goal with this gun, that wouldn't really be a problem. So is the barrel extension practical for everyone? nope, but those of us that use it as a hunting/varmint rifle the 24" is exactly what we are looking for hahaha.
For me I will agree with you totally on the importance of how the RFB looks and it being lefty friendly. But also how compact this beauty is makes it a major selling point for me. If I was rich, 95% of my rifles would be SBR's because I'm not a hunter. I own a Ruger SR556 with a 16.12" barrel and I think it has an OAL of somewhere in the high 30's or even around 40 inches fully extended. The Ruger is a great rifle but, its a little on a long side for my tastes. I am a fan of compact weapons. Thats where the RFB comes into play. It has a longer barrel than my Ruger, yet it is at least 10 inches shorter overall due to the bullpup design. Like I said earlier, I am not using the RFB to hunt so longer barrels just don't interest me. I also hope you realize I'm not knocking you in any way for what you use your RFB for. Just saying, mine will be used for quick target acquisition of zombies or anyone that decides to step foot on this soil in a Red Dawn situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StangKang View Post
BTW, if your avatar is legit, thank you for serving sir.
Thank you for your support sir. That was just one of my "cool guy" pics from Afghanistan. Unfortunately I only had the opportunity to pose with that Barrett rather than fire it.

Last edited by mikeyramone1234; 04-26-2012 at 12:26 PM.

Quick Reply

Go Back   KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > KelTec Products > RFB High Efficiency Rifle