Come help us Launch CZTalk.com - Free Decals!
KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > KelTec Products > PMR-30 > Major PMR-30 Failure **UPDATE*

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2011, 01:01 AM   #1
rgkitchen

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Default Major PMR-30 Failure **UPDATE*

Well, it has happened to me. *I was fine tuning my laser sight today at the range. *I had just got it centered in the 10 circle and was dropping in shots regularly, when . . . . BANG (not a normal 22Mag BANG, the bad kind of BANG). *I was firing slowly and carefully, not rapidly. *I had just fired 50 rounds of CCI Maxi-Mags, and this occurred after about the 12th round of Federal Game-Shok 50 gr. JHPs.

The slide and frame are deformed, and it is all locked up. *There's not much that can be salvaged from this one, I'm afraid.

The barrel block is way out of position, and I think that the takedown pin is either bent or sheared off. *The battery cover on the laser sight came off and the batteries landed on the table (the cover ended up on the floor 15' in front of my shooting station). *Other than a large black mark on my hand, I suffered no injury.

I’ll be calling Kel-Tec on Monday for a shipping label, but I think the only part on this gun that will be left after the repair will be the receiver (maybe).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2011, 01:52 AM   #2
LeeHopp

Default Re: Major PMR-30 Failure

rg - glad to hear you weren't seriously injured.
Please refresh our memories - had this gun been back to Kel-Tec for revision? (metal plate, etc.)
Tnx -

LeeH

Old 04-23-2011, 02:05 AM   #3
rgkitchen

Yep - went back in January and was updated to the current specs. *Got a new barrel and slide at that time. *Just got delivery of two additional magazines and was looking forward to the steel plate season.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:44 PM   #4
RandyP
Grand Poobah

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Well....THAT truly stinks big time!

Glad you did not suffer any permanent injuries.

I am totally ignorant of the mechanicals on this pistol, so to me it looks like it is firing the round before the round is fully in the chamber? Otherwise why would the base be blown out?

Perhaps there is another bug in the design that needs attention? Not exactly a 'confidence buiilder' to any prospective buyers out there.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:03 PM   #5
rgkitchen

I cleaned out the contents of the magazine that was in the pistol when it malfunctioned. *There were seven rounds remaining, so the failure occurred with round 18 of the magazine. *Below is a photo of those rounds and a piece of round 18 . . . .

There was powder residue all the way down to the base of the magazine, and evidence of shrapnel striking most of the remaining rounds. *The magazine was not ejected, but it did slide out normally when I pressed the magazine release.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:37 PM   #6
dmkerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgkitchen
I cleaned out the contents of the magazine that was in the pistol when it malfunctioned. *There were seven rounds remaining, so the failure occurred with round 18 of the magazine. *Below is a photo of those rounds and a piece of round 18 . . . .

There was powder residue all the way down to the base of the magazine, and evidence of shrapnel striking most of the remaining rounds. *The magazine was not ejected, but it did slide out normally when I pressed the magazine release.
rgkitchen.

I am so relieved you have not been hurt, but this upset me a lot you could have by the looks of the rounds still left in the magazine been hurt very badly with a possibility of blowing your hand off.
I really do not feel comfortable shooting mine anymore although I have shot many rounds through it.

Dave

Old 04-23-2011, 07:23 PM   #7
WVpreacher

...Sorry about your incident. I'm glad you didn't get injured.

...I'm no expert on pistol mechanics, but I have question...Do you think that the damage could have somehting to do with the ammo??? ...In my PMR-30, I noticed as I tried to put 30 rounds of CCI in the magazine that about round 25 the ammo case would crease as I was pushing the next round in the mag. It seemed like the brass casing on the CCI ammo couldn't take the pressure in the mag. As a result I'm only loading 25 rounds in the mag till I get it broke-in. Just curious if you had any touble like that?

Old 04-23-2011, 07:39 PM   #8
rgkitchen

I've never loaded my magazines with more than 25 rounds. *The remaining seven rounds in the magazine were not dented, only scorched.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:31 PM   #9
dmkerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgkitchen
I've never loaded my magazines with more than 25 rounds. *The remaining seven rounds in the magazine were not dented, only scorched.

When I first purchase my PMR I bought 6 Magazine and loaded everyone with all difference kinds of shells, I was trying to fine out which would jam the least.
I did however notice the denting of the bass casing but I filled them anyway.
At that time I had no consideration for things blowing up.
Back on point... the shells that did not jam were the CCI WMR TMJ, *CCI that did jam were the MAXI-MAG WMR HP..(hollow point) *BVAC *40 GR TMJ did not jam in 500 or so rounds. Now the BVAC ammo jams to many times now for me to continue to use (AS STATED IN ANOTHER POST) I use only CCI WMR TMJ.
As stated in another post of mine the slide stop blew off hit me in the face fix that, *then found the plastic slide cover cracked KT sent new one fix that, now the second KT replacement is cracked.
I have the Sub 2000 9 MM and I now the PF9 (Three of KEL-TEC Quality or what junk?) These guns are having problems all over this forum.
I never had problems with my 20 some other weapons. Never a problem with my Kimbers, Wilson Combat, Glocks, S&W, Sigs, Rugers.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:25 AM   #10
gelhard

rgkitchen I see you were using Federal ammo when this happened I believe everyone els (I'm not positive about this) was using CCI maxi mag (that is what I was shooting when mine happened) but compared to yours mine was very minor as a matter of fact I shot it after I cleaned out the bulged case and ran a bore snake threw the barrel. It doesn't look like you could even get yours apart. I sure am glad you weren't hurt this is almost as bad as the KB I saw on a G23 first gen a couple of years ago. I just got mine back after sending it in after my little KB but now am starting to wonder about the PMR's safety level as a hole KT realy needs to Address this openly as there is only about 6500 or so on the market it seems just on this forum there has bin way to a hi of % of these incidents happening. :-/

"North Dakota The Peace Garden ST and one of the first shall issue CWP states in the USA"

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for
those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson

"64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday."

"Guns have only two enemies; rust and politicians."

Quick Reply

Go Back   KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > KelTec Products > PMR-30