You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of thektog.org    
KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > KelTec Products > PMR-30 > extended barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2010, 04:33 AM   #1
Shard

Default extended barrel

if you can thread on a supressor, can a rifled barrel extension be made or is the twist direction wrong for this or am I missing something wrong about the idea all together?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2010, 04:56 AM   #2
PshootR
Banned

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Re: extended barrel

I guess you could in theory. But wouldn't the rifling in the original barrel and the extension have to line up when the extension was screwed on?

Old 12-01-2010, 05:55 PM   #3
DrBillC

I believe the idea of an extended (and threaded) barrel were brought up previously. I for one would like to see both. I also would like to see conversion kits available for 22LR and/or 17WMR.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:31 PM   #4
imyomama

tornadotech does barrel extensions all the time concentric to the bore for suppressor use.. it's their business and they are really good at it... they have done one job for me and it was slow (4 months) but fantastic..

with that said , i'm not so sure a suppressor will work on the pmr-30 , have not seen a 22 cal suppressor yet with a neilsen device , so unless the can is really light , it may interfere with slide operation ... my 2c.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:53 PM   #5
Liberty4Ever
Grand Poobah
KOG_MODERATOR.png

Liked 172 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shard
if you can thread on a suppressor, can a rifled barrel extension be made ?
This has been covered extensively on the PLR-16 forum. Basic answer: You'll put your eye out!

The alignment of the rifling would be extremely difficult. Even if you could do it, the axial force would be extreme. It'd certainly rip out the relatively wimpy muzzle threads. I've given some thought to a free bore barrel extension, where the barrel is rifled and the extension isn't rifled. This would avoid the alignment issues with the rifling and lessen the axial force problem. The bullet would already be spin stabilized by that point, and the added smooth bore would allow an extension that increased muzzle velocity. On the PMR-30, the added barrel weight would almost certainly prevent the pistol from functioning properly. There are probably issues with the legality of a partially smooth bore pistol. Entirely smooth bore pistols are a no-no. If you could devise a solid mounting that results in a free bore extension with very accurate coaxial alignment, then it could work, technically speaking, but I think I'll just get an RMR-30!

Buy rice. Buy beans. Buy guns. Buy ammo.
This is your final SHTF warning.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:15 AM   #6
imyomama

barrel extensions are very common.. sig mosquito use them , so do the walther p22's .. they just thread the end , extend it with more threads for the can.. they do it all the time even on 9mm like p30's etc... with that said unless you have a super light 22 can rated for 22 mag like a 3 ounce titanium can, it probably will jam the action because of the extra barrel weight.. so a neilsen device would be needed , but ive never sen one for 22

Old 12-30-2010, 01:24 PM   #7
doubloon
Grand Poobah

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shard
if you can thread on a supressor, can a rifled barrel extension be made or is the twist direction wrong for this or am I missing something wrong about the idea all together?
As iym said, barrel extensions are very common but I don't know of any extensions with rifled bores. It doesn't mean they don't exist, I just don't know of any.

I have barrel extensions for some of my guns. As a rule the extensions are not threaded and the I.D. is larger than the bore of the host barrel ... the bullet does not touch the extension in an ideal situation. The extensions are, in general, just a way to adapt the barrel to host a suppressor.

Then there are permanent barrel extensions like the SBX for the Ruger 10/22 which is a way to legally own a barrel with a less than 16" bore without the requirement of paying a SBR tax.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:50 PM   #8
imyomama

why on earth would you want a rifled extension? I missed that part originally ... tornadotech and other companies extend barrel to attach suppressors all the time but they are not the same diameter as the bore and not rifles . .they are just extension for the purpose of adding a can....

Old 01-07-2011, 11:46 PM   #9
DrBillC

I would only want a swap out longer barrel. Even then, this is sooooo low on the priorities. I would much rather see a 22lr conversion or just plain threaded barrel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imyomama
why on earth would you want a rifled extension? I missed that part originally ... tornadotech and other companies extend barrel to attach suppressors all the time but they are not the same diameter as the bore and not rifles . .they are just extension for the purpose of adding a can....

Old 01-08-2011, 06:28 AM   #10
Shard

This post was made before I heard of the RMR-30, no use trying to do what Keltec has already done, I am just waiting for it to make it's way to my hands, bad thing is Keltec now has me lusting for a KSG shotgun now, even though I have already converted a Saiga shotgun to be a bullpup, I don't like how the ten shot mags stick out too far and the KSG has taken that away and has managed to make a shorter legal shotgun for tightspaces and for prone shooting. pump is more simple and even though I have an auto pistol, a wheel gun is my back-up.......inovation is good, but tried and true has its merrits and keltec has combined tried and true in an inovated way with the KSG. * * I whould love to sit in on a think tank with these people and amuniton manufacturers are idiots is they don't form at least a limited partnership with Keltec with the new markets that would make, not to mention what Keltec might come up with if they could design the ammo as well as the weapon.

Quick Reply

Go Back   KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > KelTec Products > PMR-30