KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > KelTec Products > SU-16 > IOR Valdada 3x25 QRTS review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2005, 11:19 PM   #1
LIshooter

Likes Given: 1

Send a message via AIM to LIshooter
Default IOR Valdada 3x25 QRTS review

Not sure if this review belongs here or elsewhere, so I apologize in advance if it needs to be moved.

The IOR 3x25 QRTS is perfectly designed for SU-16 rifles and flattop AR-15's. The scope is modeled after Trijicon's ACOG line (IOR calling it a Quick Response Tactical Scope). Unlike zero magnification CQB red-dots or holosights like Aimpoints and Eotechs, the IOR is a 3x low magnification scope like the ACOG. Unlike the ACOG which requires separate mounting hardware, the IOR comes ready to mount to flat top receivers.

The scope weighs in at 1lb. Not light, but it balances very well on the SU-16 charlie (with the stock both folded and unfolded). Eye relief is 3.5in., overall length a little over 5.5in. The 30mm tube has a removable 3-slot Picatinny collar for mounting lights, laser sights or other accessories. Mounting is done through 2-12mm hex bolts. This scope is compact enough that you don't need to remove it to breakdown the rifle, and I haven't removed it since zeroing in at the range, so I'm not sure how well it retains zero on reattachment (I'll check that the next time I go out).

The CQB reticle on the IOR is an open-ended donut with a 2MOA center dot. There are also vertical and horizontal cross bars along with range finding mil spacing lines. 2 small circles in the lower left allow for quick reference on targets at 300yds and 400yds respectively (I wasn't able to test this feature since the outdoor range I go to only goes out to 200yds). There are 7 levels of illumination (the center dot and vertical and horizontal cross bars are illuminated in red, the donut is not). The turrets are marked for 1/4 MOA clicks, with elevation adjustments up to 10 MOA and windage +/- 5 MOA.

I like the the IOR a lot. It is one of the best scopes I've ever used. My eyesight isn't what it used to be, and while unmagnified CQB sights like the Eotech are great up to medium range distances (under 150yds for me) I find I need at least a low magnification scope for anything beyond 150yds. Target acquisition was very quick with both eyes open. The IOR works on the same Bindon Aiming Concept as the ACOG. You keep both eyes open as you track the target, and once on the target, your dominant eye takes over magnifying the image (it took a little getting used to but once you have it, it's amazing how it works). I was able to switch between 50yd, 100yd and 200yd targets without any problems.

The IOR is an expensive optic (in fact, I've been questioned on the practicality of putting such an expensive optic on a 'plastic' rifle), but when compared to an ACOG or Aimpoint with magnification, it prices at least $300-$400 less. If you're like me and are looking for something that is quick on target, but gives you magnification for longer ranges, then I highly recommend this scope.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2005, 02:22 AM   #2
harbinger

Default Re: IOR Valdada 3x25 QRTS review

Is this the exact one?

http://www.valdada.com/vn/ior/03q

To be honest, it seems inexpensive for what it is. The Aimpoint w/ 3X adapter, and the soon-to-be-released magnified EOTech, are FAR more expensive.

Mike

Old 11-15-2005, 05:32 AM   #3
IntheWoods
Grand Poobah

This is an excellent optic.

LI, what type of batteries does it use and what's the battery life?

Old 11-15-2005, 07:31 AM   #4
LIshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntheWoods
This is an excellent optic.

LI, what type of batteries does it use and what's the battery life?
I whole-heartedly agree. It's an excellent optic and IMO worth every penny I paid for it.

It uses a standard CR2032 3volt Lithium Button Cell which I was able to buy on-line - 5 for $6.99. Don't know what the battery life is, but since the batteries are so cheap, I'll do a run down test this weekend.

Old 11-20-2005, 06:01 AM   #5
gsr
Grand Poobah

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

It looks like a nice optic, but unless the street price is way less than the $649 figure I saw, why not go with the Leupold CQ/T 4, and get 1-3X capability. The rangefinding reticle on the Valdada looks neat, but I question it's usability if it is not calibrated to a particular cartridge.

Old 11-22-2005, 08:22 PM   #6
LIshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr
It looks like a nice optic, but unless the street price is way less than the $649 figure I saw, why not go with the Leupold CQ/T 4, and get 1-3X capability. The rangefinding reticle on the Valdada looks neat, but I question it's usability if it is not calibrated to a particular cartridge.
I chose the IOR over the Leupold because it was $570 on-line with free shipping. The Leupold was $710 for the uncertified version, $850 for the certified mil-spec version at opticsplanet.com. The certified models "meet specific military & law enforcement requirements for waterproofing and other performance criteria (according to the site)". The IOR was guaranteed to meet waterproofing, shockproofing, and fogproofing standards without having to pay an extra $280 .

The IOR is also a shorter scope (I don't have to remove it to clean the SU-16), the 3 Pic rail accessory mount is removable on the IOR, and from review articles I found on the net, the IOR uses better optics glass (from Schott Glasswerk, Germany) with the Zeiss coating process. The Leupold uses their own proprietary coating process for their scope. The IOR has 1/4 MOA click adjustments, the Leupold 1/2 MOA click adjustments. Weight was similar for both scopes. Neither scope is calibrated for a particular cartridge.

In terms of having the ability to go from 1-3x as opposed to a fixed 3x site, in a fast acquisition environment, I don't think I'd have the time to switch between 1x and 3x. The Bindon Aiming Concept employed on the Trijicon sites is also used on the IOR and is very effective (once you get used to it).

Lastly, the Leupold Mark 4 CQ/T has been discontinued (if you go to the Leupold website, they don't even list it anymore).

Old 11-22-2005, 09:46 PM   #7
MXG

I hate to say this but the quality of the glass in the IOR product is far superior than our USA built Leupold... IOR does a lot of R&D with the major European brands such as Zaiss.
I got to try the Leupold and the IOR side by side and the taget clarity and aquisition is far better with the IOR. Also at 3x the IOR has more eye relief and the tube is much larger than the Leupold.
This optic is 100% worth its prise and perfect for the SU-16. It also seems to balance the gun well.

Old 11-23-2005, 02:55 AM   #8
Corejob

Try getting service.

Leupold may not be the ultimate, but their customer service is second to none.

Personally, I'd feel a little weird putting a really high end optic on a fairly inexpensive rifle that's not accurate enough for anything more than moderate ranges.

Old 11-23-2005, 08:51 AM   #9
LIshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corejob
Try getting service.

Leupold may not be the ultimate, but their customer service is second to none.

Personally, I'd feel a little weird putting a really high end optic on a fairly inexpensive rifle that's not accurate enough for anything more than moderate ranges.
I can't speak towards their service. I haven't had any problems with it yet, and hopefully I won't. Only time will tell.

As for putting a high end optic on an inexpensive rifle, more than a few people have Eotechs (also fairly expensive) on their su-16s and are very happy with it. I happen to be cursed with abyssmal eyesight and need a magnified sight for anything beyond 100yds, so this was the next best option when compared to an ACOG, Aimpoint with magnification, Leupold, or even the soon-to-be released Eotech with magnification.

In terms of accuracy, I get just as good groupings with my su-16 as I do with my bushy (which isn't saying much considering I'm a lousy shot ;D). Besides, it's a 5.56. I personally don't plan on hitting anything beyond 300yds anyway (if I could even see that far). ;D

Old 11-23-2005, 08:55 AM   #10
LIshooter

BTW, I thought Kel-tec had the best customer service in the world. ;D

Quick Reply

Go Back   KTOG - Kel Tec Owners Group Forum > KelTec Products > SU-16